BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-07-2023, 02:18 AM   #1
1eyebandit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Cleaning soft top convertibile

What would be the best way and product to use to clean my new to me convertible top?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

That looks like it was folded while wet and allowed to dry that way. It looks like it might have some mildew staining. Honestly, I don't use anything but water and sometimes some of the soap from washing the car gets on it. But it stays pretty clean looking just from hosing it off with water. Never ever shoot right at it with a high pressure car wash wand. Hold it a foot or more away. They can easily abrade the cloth surface. Anyway, on that I would first try a pretty strong solution of like Dawn and water and a soft brush. If the stains don't away Google for what to use to remove mildew from canvas - common on tents and tarps.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 02:27 PM   #3
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Excellent recommendations from Opie55, our very experienced convertible owner.

I believe that Larry Kosilla, an infamous professional detailer who created AMMO NYC, did a YT once wherein he cleaned an old mildewy convertible top. Try googling that… the education he provides is priceless.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
1eyebandit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
Excellent recommendations from Opie55, our very experienced convertible owner.

I believe that Larry Kosilla, an infamous professional detailer who created AMMO NYC, did a YT once wherein he cleaned an old mildewy convertible top. Try googling that… the education he provides is priceless.
Thanks my guy, i will look that up. You from San Diego?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyebandit View Post
Thanks my guy, i will look that up. You from San Diego?
ˇSí!

Join the SD Chapter BMW CCA! We do some great backroads drives, an annual half-day at the Performance Center, and autocross has started up again!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyebandit View Post
What would be the best way and product to use to clean my new to me convertible top?
you've been given good advice in relation to care with high-pressure water jets. i used to clean my 330Ci convertible top with a soft bristle brush and some mild car detergent when required. that would always remove any dirt or road grime. Opie is right, that looks like a dirty water marks too me and if so it should clean up fine with car wash detergent and a soft brush to agitate. Wet and soak the roof first and then soap and wash. rinse and let dry completely in the sun. let us know the results

good luck
Appreciate 0