BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
CarPlay Retrofit - Any Unique Auto Developments v. BimmerTech compares?

After 6 months of pausing my search, I have decided to look again at CarPlay retrofit options for my '14 F13. It now appears that the BimmerTech solution has been updated to allow full screen and that all of the factory buttons (steering wheel, etc) now work.

I have also seen that Unique Auto Developments (unique-ad.co.uk) also has similar functionality plus allows a wireless connectivity option.

My question: Has anyone looked at these solutions or seen other posts somewhere that speaks to pros/cons of the two approaches? I am most interested in the user experience. That is, sometimes I get in the car today and plug in (I built a stand inside cup holders that connects to USB) and sometimes I just get in without plugging in....Today, I can easily switch back and forth between plugged and not-plugged. That is part of why a wireless solution is attractive...but not if the overall experience is cumbersome.

Any pointers or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Take a look at the thread I started from the same point you were in right now.
https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571693

I went with the Unichip. Requires external microphone (turned out better than the integrated BMW one), but has no compromises. It also has Android Auto. Couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Take a look at the thread I started from the same point you were in right now.
https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571693

I went with the Unichip. Requires external microphone (turned out better than the integrated BMW one), but has no compromises. It also has Android Auto. Couldn't be happier.
Hi man, quick question if I may. Is the Car Play wireless and does Android Auto display in full widescreen (not stretched or with black bars)? Also, did you need to connect the AUX cable to the armrest?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

CarPlay is not wireless and I am glad that it isn't. BMW's implementation is laggy and you still need to charge your phone somehow, so what's the point?

Android Auto when tried was not widescreen (I don't own an Android), but apparently the reason was the AA itself, not the box.

Aux cable in the armrest is untouched. The cable harness that comes with the box bypasses that. So you end up connecting USB cable to your phone and that's it.
I haven't tried if the AUX jack actually still works outside the box context.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
CarPlay is not wireless and I am glad that it isn't. BMW's implementation is laggy and you still need to charge your phone somehow, so what's the point?

Android Auto when tried was not widescreen (I don't own an Android), but apparently the reason was the AA itself, not the box.

Aux cable in the armrest is untouched. The cable harness that comes with the box bypasses that. So you end up connecting USB cable to your phone and that's it.
I haven't tried if the AUX jack actually still works outside the box context.
Excellent thanks!
Appreciate 0