BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

MHD Stage 1 Tune for 640i

Hello 6 family!

I am thinking about tuning my car soon. The N55 engine has been wonderful for the month I've had it, but I feel like it could use just a tad more boost in power. I've heard good things about the MHD stage 1 tune, and I just want something that will have more oomph over the stock driving map.

Has anyone tuned the N55B30 in the 640i? And does this particular engine have the pneumatic or electronic wastegate?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I have used MHD to tune my M4 and it worked very well. Make sure you have a charger

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
alexb0730
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
Hello 6 family!

I am thinking about tuning my car soon. The N55 engine has been wonderful for the month I've had it, but I feel like it could use just a tad more boost in power. I've heard good things about the MHD stage 1 tune, and I just want something that will have more oomph over the stock driving map.

Has anyone tuned the N55B30 in the 640i? And does this particular engine have the pneumatic or electronic wastegate?
I am using MHD stage 2+ on my 2015 640i GC. Car is FBO and the OTS flash tune definitely woke up the car.

My car is PWG. The newer ones may come EWG. Not 100% sure though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:59 AM   #4
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the responses; so very helpful. I am thinking of doing a stage 1 tune, and see if that should be sufficient for my driving.

What did you all need to complete the flash? From my understanding, you need a the flasher license, bluetooth dongle, and the app (now available through ios)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb0730 View Post
I am using MHD stage 2+ on my 2015 640i GC. Car is FBO and the OTS flash tune definitely woke up the car.

Did you replace your charge pipe before the tune? If not, have you had any boost issues with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
alexb0730
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb0730 View Post

Did you replace your charge pipe before the tune? If not, have you had any boost issues with it?
Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses; so very helpful. I am thinking of doing a stage 1 tune, and see if that should be sufficient for my driving.

What did you all need to complete the flash? From my understanding, you need a the flasher license, bluetooth dongle, and the app (now available through ios)
I replaced the charge pipe, air induction pipe, boost pipe and intercooler and added a BMS intake. But you don't have to do all that for stage 1. I do recommend the chargepipe though. No issues so far...

You have two options...
Buy the Super License which includes The Flasher Module, ALL the OTS maps and monitoring module.
Or you can just buy the Flasher module and the map pack for which ever stage you want to go with.

I paid $536 for my super license vs.

$299(flasher)+$119(stage 2 maps)=$318

$299(flasher)+$119(stage 2 maps)+$119(monitoring module)=$537 for just the three individual modules.

I also purchased the WiFi adapter and used my iPad mini that is dedicated just for the car and use it for the monitoring module.

I also did XHP Flashtool for the transmission tune just recently
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wow this is so informative! Thank you so much for providing this great info.

For the XHP tune, what stage did you go? I am interested in Stage 2. Does this tune actually make a big difference in the 8 speed's shifting points?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Wow this is so informative! Thank you so much for providing this great info.

For the XHP tune, what stage did you go? I am interested in Stage 2. Does this tune actually make a big difference in the 8 speed's shifting points?
Imo stage 1 and 2 aren't worth it, stage 3 on the other hand is amazing. I would just go to stage 3 if you decide to buy it.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #9
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Imo stage 1 and 2 aren't worth it, stage 3 on the other hand is amazing. I would just go to stage 3 if you decide to buy it.
Hello AccordTR!

I hope all is well! I finally purchased the XHP flash license and OTS maps. Tonight, I connected my iPhone to the MHD dongle (which is now compatible with the XHP Flashtool app) to flash Stage 3.

However, during the download, it aborted during mid-flash, and now my car says "transmission malfunction"; shows the parking brake sign; and won't go into gear whatsoever.

I have reached out to RBTTUNING for assistance; however, in the meantime would you have any insight or guidance on this? I really hope I did not brick my TCU module.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I fixed it! This is for future reference for those who are looking to download XHP and may be having the same issues as I experienced.

I picked up a 12v/15 Amp smart battery charger from Autozone, and hooked it up to the front terminals to charge the battery.

After completely charging it overnight, I reconnected my iPhone to the MHD Wifi adapter. I think the app & adapter had issues with my phone (as it would not constantly end the connection), so I downloaded the app on my iPad and connected to the adapter. Worked flawlessly after that.

I uninstalled XHP, flashed to the stock map, and then all malfunctions were automatically cleared. I took it for a 20 min drive to ensure all was okay, and then reflashed the latest version of Stage 3 before taking another 40 mile drive.

My impressions are:

1.) Comfort doesn't seem much different or faster in shifting. Maybe slightly faster, but a very nuanced change.

2.) Sport Mode was the biggest difference. Very quick in shifting and absolutely felt a bit more torquey. Also cool that I can cruise in 8th while in Sport.

3.) Eco mode actually feels drivable and not as "boggy" as before surprisingly.

4.) Gas mileage slightly increased. This 4200 pound yacht averaged 31 mpg on the highway while cruising around 80-83 mph.

Overall, I can't really yet justify the $300 bucks for the software. The car already came stock with the Sport Transmission option, so it already was a superb trans unit. Maybe I have to drive it more to really feel the full benefits of the flash.
Appreciate 0