BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #1079
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Nothing like having my yard checked by a professional (close friend of the family) to see about weed treatment and soil nutrients, to have them let you know that the yard is 80-90% weeds (thanks to no upkeep for 20 years by previous 3 owners). He told us he could start, but it would take 2-3 years to get going, so we'd have a brown yard during that time.
Other fun fact is that we have no working irrigation for at least 20 years (thanks again previous owners). My wife and I are near the beach and plan to rent out the house in a couple years to by a bigger home, for a hopefully growing family.

We're trying to decide if it's worth my brother-in-laws and I ripping out everything, digging/installing new irrigation, and then re-sodding the entire yard. It would end up costing almost the same as having treatments for 2-3 yrs. To make it work, we'd have to re-do the irrigation either way.
Re-sodding is better than trying to rehab 80-90% weeds. Iím not sure thatís even possible. But then it will still need to be maintained to avoid turning back into the same thing. So many people in my neighborhood just gave up and live with weed lawns.
David701430.00

01-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #1080
ramman434
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Re-sodding is better than trying to rehab 80-90% weeds. Iím not sure thatís even possible. But then it will still need to be maintained to avoid turning back into the same thing. So many people in my neighborhood just gave up and live with weed lawns.
Sadly that's our debate now. If we're eventually just going to rent it, is it even worth that investment.

I told my wife, if we were to do it, I'm going to tear up the yard, re-do the irrigation (base of the old system is on the side of the house still), and re-sod. That seems to be the only proper way to address it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #1081
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sadly that's our debate now. If we're eventually just going to rent it, is it even worth that investment.

I told my wife, if we were to do it, I'm going to tear up the yard, re-do the irrigation (base of the old system is on the side of the house still), and re-sod. That seems to be the only proper way to address it.
You are correct, it is. And I would spray Round Up everywhere before tearing up the yard and make sure everything is dead first. (I replaced my lawn 5+ years ago.)

Unfortunately it doesnít stop there as it will require ongoing maintenance. My neighbor replaced their lawn 2-3 years ago but donít do anything to maintain it (fertilizer / weed control / pest control). They threw away their money because it is now as bad as it was before they did it.

I spend a lot of time and money on my lawn (which is still far from perfect). To be honest if we were renting out our house instead of living in it, I might be inclined to be like everyone else and let it go.
ramman434305.00

01-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #1082
bosstones
Major
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Quote:

You are correct, it is. And I would spray Round Up everywhere before tearing up the yard and make sure everything is dead first. (I replaced my lawn 5+ years ago.)

Unfortunately it doesn't stop there as it will require ongoing maintenance. My neighbor replaced their lawn 2-3 years ago but don't do anything to maintain it (fertilizer / weed control / pest control). They threw away their money because it is now as bad as it was before they did it.

I spend a lot of time and money on my lawn (which is still far from perfect). To be honest if we were renting out our house instead of living in it, I might be inclined to be like everyone else and let it go.
Would the Round Up deal with weed seeds in the ground? There's got to be a ton in the ground and they can stick around for years before germinating. Seems like spring and fall pre-M applications will be needed for the next few years.

Not knowing how how big their yard is, but maybe seeding would be more cost effective than sodding. Tenacity is be used as a pre-M and can be applied at time of seeding. It is the only pre-M that I am aware if that will still allow for grass seeds to germinate. Grass seed 'usually' grows in stronger than sod, too.
      01-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #1083
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Would the Round Up deal with weed seeds in the ground? There's got to be a ton in the ground and they can stick around for years before germinating. Seems like spring and fall pre-M applications will be needed for the next few years.

Not knowing how how big their yard is, but maybe seeding would be more cost effective than sodding. Tenacity is be used as a pre-M and can be applied at time of seeding. It is the only pre-M that I am aware if that will still allow for grass seeds to germinate. Grass seed 'usually' grows in stronger than sod, too.
Here in South Florida, St. Augustine is the predominant lawn because it tolerates salt, heat and drought pretty well and some varieties also tolerate shade. But you can't seed St. Augustine. Sod is the only option, which sucks.

As far as weed seeds, if you are going to re-sod, at a minimum you need to kill what you can see. When we re-sodded, I sprayed the entire lawn, waited 2 weeks and then spot sprayed again. There were still some spots with weeds when we had the old sod pulled up but there will always be some from the wind, lawn guy, etc. The new sod smothers them pretty well and the best way to control weeds is with a health lawn (unless of course the new sod is full of weeds). But, yes, ongoing pre-emergent, weed control, fertilizer, pest control, etc. will be required. It is a year-round process here and there is always something else to do next.
bosstones655.50
ramman434305.00

01-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #1084
bosstones
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post

Here in South Florida, St. Augustine is the predominant lawn because it tolerates salt, heat and drought pretty well and some varieties also tolerate shade. But you can't seed St. Augustine. Sod is the only option, which sucks.

As far as weed seeds, if you are going to re-sod, at a minimum you need to kill what you can see. When we re-sodded, I sprayed the entire lawn, waited 2 weeks and then spot sprayed again. There were still some spots with weeds when we had the old sod pulled up but there will always be some from the wind, lawn guy, etc. The new sod smothers them pretty well and the best way to control weeds is with a health lawn (unless of course the new sod is full of weeds). But, yes, ongoing pre-emergent, weed control, fertilizer, pest control, etc. will be required. It is a year-round process here and there is always something else to do next.
Ah, didnt realize they were in FL.

Yeah, weeds are a around the year battle. The little bastards.
      01-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #1085
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

Quote:

Rent it? Don't do anything. Renters won't take care of it.
Appreciate 2
Alfisti1809.00
David701430.00

01-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #1086
ramman434
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Rent it? Don't do anything. Renters won't take care of it.
Hahaha, hence why we're leaning towards living that "weed life" (for the lawn).

This is still our primary home for the next couple of years, so it's I've just got to tell myself that it's not worth the overall investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #1087
Alfisti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Just plant clover. Bright green, blocks out al invasive weeds, looks great, tolerates a lack of and too much water easily and doesn't cost a god damn penny.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #1088
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Just plant clover. Bright green, blocks out al invasive weeds, looks great, tolerates a lack of and too much water easily and doesn't cost a god damn penny.
Thatís a weed here. He doesnít need to plant it.
ramman434305.00

01-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #1089
Alfisti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's my point. Seriously, becoming a trend. I like outdoors work but the money and time trying to maintain a good lawn is absolutely preposterous. Much harder here maybe as all pesticides are banned.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #1090
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 IB

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's my point. Seriously, becoming a trend. I like outdoors work but the money and time trying to maintain a good lawn is absolutely preposterous. Much harder here maybe as all pesticides are banned.
A good lawn is not that expensive to maintain. A perfect lawn is.
If you drop pre-emergent early spring and some bi-weekly nitrogen in the fall your lawn will look better than 95% of lawns out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #1091
Alfisti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Right, i had about 4000 sq feet, to firstly see and fertalise and water that amount of lawn was just eye watering, again, weed killer is banned here and the dandylions just run RAMPANT if your lawn is not SUPER SUPER SUPER thick, any gap and they take root so fast it is scary. Clover blocks them out and needs about 1/100th the time and money to look after.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #1092
Mosaud1998
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328

Garage List
Painted my closet (it was flat white before). Builders painted the whole house flat white. The next step is probably removing all this crappy carpet the builders installed and putting in hardwood flooring on the second floor including bedrooms.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RickFLM45759.00

01-22-2021, 02:45 AM   #1093
shimmy23
e90 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: e90 IB M3

I'm refreshing our fireplace. Got the sheetrock back on and now I'm contemplating if I should go further and replace/lower the mantel and install tv above the fireplace.

What's yours guys thoughts? Do TVs belong above the mantel or keep the fireplace as its own focal point? Our fireplace is in our great room, not the formal living room.
Attached Images

e90 IB journal

Appreciate 4
RickFLM45759.00
jmack250.50
bosstones655.50

01-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #1094
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'd say if the TV works elsewhere I would leave it elsewhere. I think fireplaces look better without a TV above them and the TVs are too high when installed over a fireplace most of the time. But some rooms do not provide a better alternative location where the TV can be seen better so it really depends on the room.
      01-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #1095
Alfisti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I would gut and replace with newer slim fireplace and place tv above it. Old fireplaces tend to hog where a tv should go imho, and the TV ends up being way too high.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #1096
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I'm refreshing our fireplace. Got the sheetrock back on and now I'm contemplating if I should go further and replace/lower the mantel and install tv above the fireplace.

What's yours guys thoughts? Do TVs belong above the mantel or keep the fireplace as its own focal point? Our fireplace is in our great room, not the formal living room.
looks pretty dope! i like it! i would leave it as a fireplace as this is a focal point in the room. don't put the TV there. here's what mine looked like when we first moved in and i ended up sealing everything up and continued the moulding work to the ceiling to make the whole thing a focal point than just the mantel and below

now i'm thinking about replacing the tile with something different?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
jmack250.50

01-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #1097
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
looks pretty dope! i like it! i would leave it as a fireplace as this is a focal point in the room. don't put the TV there. here's what mine looked like when we first moved in and i ended up sealing everything up and continued the moulding work to the ceiling to make the whole thing a focal point than just the mantel and below

now i'm thinking about replacing the tile with something different?
Man, that better be a false door with all the jewels hidden!
Appreciate 7
bosstones655.50
vreihen163316.00
AmuroRay272.50
Hawkeye1622.00

01-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #1098
bosstones
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post

Personally, I'm not a fan of TV's above fire places when other options exist but it depends on the room layout and you use the room. Some people have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Did you run the plywood under the entirety of the trimmed area? Or just the the interior? Slicks nice!

My current projects are more pedestrian. Velcro'ing the unvelcro'd and trying out different finishes on walnut for some black pipe shelves I'm making. The latter is so damn iterative and I'm sure there are options I have left to try! Plus not all pieces finish/color the same. 4 finishes shown. The smaller board is more blond because of less heartwood. </crappy phone pix>
Attached Images

01-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #1099
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Roof, patio, driveway and sidewalk getting cleaned today. Trying soft wash for roof this time - no walking on roof. Hope it works better than guys walking on the roof, which always results in a roof leak during the Spring. Pics before cleaning.
Attached Images

AmuroRay272.50

01-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #1100
AmuroRay
Intercooler guy
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just became a first time HO and this was my first purchase. Anyone else into things like this - I just think it looks neat.