BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-14-2022, 01:53 AM   #1
bizzmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Picked up my 2018 M6 GC, have a few questions

Hey guys,

Finally got my hands on one of my favorite cars ever. A 2018 M6 Gran Coupe in Moonstone Metallic. This color is something else in person paired with the full amaro brown leather interior. Heres a terrible random shot from an iPhone 13 Pro max, unedited:

I am absolutely in love with the car. Its got pretty much every package including the Carbon Ceramic brakes. Car has 20,xxx miles on it. Runs great.

My question comes with the carbon ceramic brakes. I'm noticing the obvious brake squealing now. I haven't changed the pads or anything. From your experience, any way to lower or eliminate brake squeal with these monster brakes?

---

Also, what tool or mod do I need to get full screen apple car play, no a/c upon startup and to auto fold side mirrors up upon locking the vehicle. Is there anyway to also program the rear a/c controls off so its only controlled from the front?

Oh, another thing, best place to get black kidney grills for it?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by bizzmeister; 09-14-2022 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 05:45 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzmeister View Post
Hey guys,

Finally got my hands on one of my favorite cars ever. A 2018 M6 Gran Coupe in Moonstone Metallic. This color is something else in person paired with the full amaro brown leather interior.

I am absolutely in love with the car. Its got pretty much every package including the Carbon Ceramic brakes. Car has 20,xxx miles on it. Runs great.

My question comes with the carbon ceramic brakes. I'm noticing the obvious brake squealing now. I haven't changed the pads or anything. From your experience, any way to lower or eliminate brake squeal with these monster brakes?

---

Also, what tool or mod do I need to get full screen apple car play, no a/c upon startup and to auto fold side mirrors up upon locking the vehicle. Is there anyway to also program the rear a/c controls off so its only controlled from the front?

Thank you for your time!

-Arbi
Congratulations on the purchase of the M6GC and welcome aboard. I have not seen Moonstone in person but a member recently posted on for sale and it looks like a very stunning color.

The noise from the brakes is normal and was such a common complaint that BMW M Group did a video on YouTube to discuss it.

You'll likely need someone with coding experience to get CarPlay to enable and work properly. For the other issues BimmerCode is a great tool for configuring the cars attributes to your liking.

Not to deter you from chatting with other 6 owners but the F10 M5 forum has a lot of details on many of the subjects you brought up. The platforms share a lot of parts and systems and many more M5 were produced so their forum had a lot more owner participation over the years.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven474.50
      09-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys,

Finally got my hands on one of my favorite cars ever. A 2018 M6 Gran Coupe in Moonstone Metallic. This color is something else in person paired with the full amaro brown leather interior.

---

Thank you for your time!

-Arbi
Congrats on the new vehicle!

A friend of mine had a BMW with the carbon ceramics and was told the squealing was normal when not hot and under high load. He never got rid of the noise.

If you have the NBT EVO head unit, you should be able to just change parameters using e-sys and Bimmer Utility software for Apple CarPlay. If you only have the NBT system, you'll have to retrofit the newer "EVO" system for it.

Regarding the other parameters, they are changeable with either head unit installed.

I personally only have experience with e-sys and Bimmer Utility. But, as mentioned above, you can look into something like Bimmer Code or another simpler coding option.

Regarding the AC rear controls, I believe there's an option in iDrive to set the front controls to control the rear until the controls are adjusted individually in the rear. Check the manual if you can't find the setting in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Is there anyway to also program the rear a/c controls off so its only controlled from the front?
You've kind of asked two different questions here...do you want the rear AC system off...or do you want to control it from the front...or do you want some combination of both?

You can control the rear from the front by using the SYNC button (see image captures below from the owners manual). And you can turn the rear climate control off in iDrive. You can get more details of these functions in the owners manual...and there happens to be one built into iDrive which has multiple ways to search...and is really easy and convenient to utilize. You can usually access the owners manual quickly by pressing the OPTION button next to the iDrive control knob...and whatever you have up on the screen...when you access the manual...it will take you directly to what's on the screen.

There is also a selection in iDrive (under SETTINGS >>>>CLIMATE) to check off REAR CLIMATE:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-14-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #5
EvanCA
Rep
Drives: 2014 M3

Quote:
Hey guys,

---

Thank you for your time!

-Arbi
New car, and no pictures? Congrats on the purchase - show us the new ride!
      09-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #6
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Congratulations on the purchase of the M6GC and welcome aboard. I have not seen Moonstone in person but a member recently posted on for sale and it looks like a very stunning color.

The noise from the brakes is normal and was such a common complaint that BMW M Group did a video on YouTube to discuss it.

You'll likely need someone with coding experience to get CarPlay to enable and work properly. For the other issues BimmerCode is a great tool for configuring the cars attributes to your liking.

Not to deter you from chatting with other 6 owners but the F10 M5 forum has a lot of details on many of the subjects you brought up. The platforms share a lot of parts and systems and many more M5 were produced so their forum had a lot more owner participation over the years.
Thank you!

and thank you for the heads up on everything. I will look into the M5 section too. I figured the brakes are never gonna go away fully but i thought owners by now may have figured out some sort of trick to quiet them down a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Congrats on the new vehicle!

A friend of mine had a BMW with the carbon ceramics and was told the squealing was normal when not hot and under high load. He never got rid of the noise.

If you have the NBT EVO head unit, you should be able to just change parameters using e-sys and Bimmer Utility software for Apple CarPlay. If you only have the NBT system, you'll have to retrofit the newer "EVO" system for it.

Regarding the other parameters, they are changeable with either head unit installed.

I personally only have experience with e-sys and Bimmer Utility. But, as mentioned above, you can look into something like Bimmer Code or another simpler coding option.

Regarding the AC rear controls, I believe there's an option in iDrive to set the front controls to control the rear until the controls are adjusted individually in the rear. Check the manual if you can't find the setting in iDrive.
Thank you!

I appreciate your into too. I have no idea which headunit this car has. I basically want those few things ticked off my list and thats it. As far as the a/c controls go in the rear, i basically just didn't want my little girls messing with them while im driving, from the back. Would rather just nothing work back there unless i enable it from the front.

Now to figure out how to lock those damn sunshade buttons on the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You've kind of asked two different questions here...do you want the rear AC system off...or do you want to control it from the front...or do you want some combination of both?

You can control the rear from the front by using the SYNC button (see image captures below from the owners manual). And you can turn the rear climate control off in iDrive. You can get more details of these functions in the owners manual...and there happens to be one built into iDrive which has multiple ways to search...and is really easy and convenient to utilize. You can usually access the owners manual quickly by pressing the OPTION button next to the iDrive control knob...and whatever you have up on the screen...when you access the manual...it will take you directly to what's on the screen.

There is also a selection in iDrive (under SETTINGS >>>>CLIMATE) to check off REAR CLIMATE:

Thank you. Basically just wanted to be able to only control it from the front so my kids dont constantly mess with it in the back seat. That, along with the retractable sunshades on the sides and rear windows. Wanted to disable those buttons in the rear seat section to, if possible.

Last edited by bizzmeister; 09-14-2022 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanCA View Post
New car, and no pictures? Congrats on the purchase - show us the new ride!

HAHA, thank you. Terrible picture, thats why I didnt intially upload but I will get some nice shots. This cars color is something else in person. This is just a random shot from an iPhone 13 Pro Max without edit.

09-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
atillathetom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bike

I have a moonstone car with CCBs as well. I have an extra pedal though.

The CCB squeal is my car wash alarm. When they start making noise I hit em with the hose during a wash at it mostly goes away until they get dirty again. Try hitting them with wheel cleaner or simple green and a power wash and it will get better...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #9
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathetom View Post
I have a moonstone car with CCBs as well. I have an extra pedal though.

The CCB squeal is my car wash alarm. When they start making noise I hit em with the hose during a wash at it mostly goes away until they get dirty again. Try hitting them with wheel cleaner or simple green and a power wash and it will get better...
Nice man, that’s insane.

Thanks for that tip on the brakes and how to go about it. Will definitely give it a shot. Appreciate it bud.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW…Moonstone is one of BMW’s awesome exterior paint colors (in my opinion)…but it is very difficult to capture its true essence in a pic. It usually requires professional equipment or a photographer with really good skills. It can look silver, white, off-white, or beige depending on the ambient lighting…or angle you’re looking at it as it drives by.

I saw this pic below of someone selling their moonlight M6 and it did a rather descent job of capturing the elusive hue of this color…and the Amaro interior is killer:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-15-2022 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Basically just wanted to be able to only control it from the front so my kids dont constantly mess with … the retractable sunshades on the sides and rear windows. Wanted to disable those buttons in the rear seat section to, if possible.
I believe that is possible. There’s a button on the driver’s door that locks out the windows (safety switch)…and I believe it may also control the power shades, too. Check your owners manual to be sure…if using the one built into iDrive…search for ROLLER SUNBLINDS. If it is possible, it will probably be explained in that section since many owners don’t realize that they can power all 3 rear shades using the shade button with a press & hold vs just a press.

The press & hold will operate all 3 shades when they are all in the same position. If they are not, then you press the shade button to either raise or lower them so they all are in the same position…then press & hold the button and all 3 shades will operate together.

Again, the button that locks out rear passengers using the rear windows…may also lock the rear shades too.

EDIT: got home last night and snapped these screen shots after opening the owners manual embedded in iDrive. Yours may look slightly different since your M6 has a newer version of iDrive than I do...mine is the older CIC...but your embedded manual should provide the same info and details.

Roller Blind info & details:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

And here's the info and details about the safety switch (on the driver's door) that locks out the use of the rear windows and blinds from the rear passengers (aka kids & adults that act like kids and keep playing with the switches.).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #13
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

I also have CCBs and deal with squeal a lot. I keep telling my wife when she's in the car that the squeal is the sound of race brakes

There's a good thread on this forum discussing the issue. It relates to brake dust building up on the pads. You can complete a bedding in process (described here, but the whole thread is good to read) that supposedly gets rid of the squeal.

The basic process is first make sure your brakes are not cold by using them a bit at highway speed. Then accelerate up to 60mph and then slow down firmly to 15mph or so but without wheel lock or engaging ABS. Repeat 9 times. Once done, do not use the brakes until they have been able to cool down, about 10 mins of highway driving. If you use the brakes again before they cool down you could imprint brake pad material onto the rotor which would cause squeal again. After the cool down, optionally add another 4 cycles accelerating to 80mph and firmly slowing down to 15mph with another cool down. Voila, squeal gone.

I say all that without having done the procedure myself. This bed in process requires unconventional driving, and unfortunately I think the only practical way for me to do this in the North Jersey area is in the middle of the night which I haven't made the time to do yet.

If you do the bed in and have successful results it would be great to hear about it!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #14
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Congrats on the pick up!!!

FYI about CarPlay: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920408
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #15
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
And here's the info and details about the safety switch (on the driver's door) that locks out the use of the rear windows and blinds from the rear passengers (aka kids & adults that act like kids and keep playing with the switches.).
Thank you so much bud, appreciate all your help. So the shades and window lock were all taken care of with that one button lol. So thats good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machareus View Post
I also have CCBs and deal with squeal a lot. I keep telling my wife when she's in the car that the squeal is the sound of race brakes

There's a good thread on this forum discussing the issue. It relates to brake dust building up on the pads. You can complete a bedding in process (described here, but the whole thread is good to read) that supposedly gets rid of the squeal.

The basic process is first make sure your brakes are not cold by using them a bit at highway speed. Then accelerate up to 60mph and then slow down firmly to 15mph or so but without wheel lock or engaging ABS. Repeat 9 times. Once done, do not use the brakes until they have been able to cool down, about 10 mins of highway driving. If you use the brakes again before they cool down you could imprint brake pad material onto the rotor which would cause squeal again. After the cool down, optionally add another 4 cycles accelerating to 80mph and firmly slowing down to 15mph with another cool down. Voila, squeal gone.

I say all that without having done the procedure myself. This bed in process requires unconventional driving, and unfortunately I think the only practical way for me to do this in the North Jersey area is in the middle of the night which I haven't made the time to do yet.

If you do the bed in and have successful results it would be great to hear about it!
LOL ( wife comment, mine said you paid how much for this car and its already squealing ? LMAO )

Thanks for the info bud, i highly doubt ill be doing that myself. Thats too much work for something that may not even fix it lol. Ill stick with the hitting it with the pressure washer with some wheel cleaner and see how that goes for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by debauch View Post
Congrats on the pick up!!!

FYI about CarPlay: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920408
Thank you sir.

Purchased the $39.99 bimmercode app off the appstore and got myself that OBDCX reader they recommend from Amazon for their app, for $80. Im ready to roll this tomorrow when it arrives. Should be a quick fix myself with the app. Looking forward to it!
      09-16-2022, 02:24 PM   #16
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
LOL ( wife comment, mine said you paid how much for this car and its already squealing ? LMAO )

Thanks for the info bud, i highly doubt ill be doing that myself. Thats too much work for something that may not even fix it lol. Ill stick with the hitting it with the pressure washer with some wheel cleaner and see how that goes for now
Understood. FWIW, the squealing goes away for me as well when I get the car washed, but it doesn't last very long. Don't have a proper setup for power washing on my own right now but might give that a try in a couple months once I do. Also, cold weather helps reduce / eliminate the squeal, but in LA that might be difficult to come by. If I try the bedding in process I'll try to report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:29 PM   #17
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice man, that’s insane.

Thanks for that tip on the brakes and how to go about it. Will definitely give it a shot. Appreciate it bud.

I wouldnt put anything remotely acidic on those CCB's. Youre looking at $4k each on the rotors. Assume you already knew the replacement costs. But yes, they all squeek. Even the steels..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #18
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
CERAMIC COAT YOUR WHEELS.

And thank me later.

It won't avoid squeals, but will keep them heck of a lot cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #19
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
BTW…Moonstone is one of BMW's awesome exterior paint colors (in my opinion)…but it is very difficult to capture its true essence in a pic. It usually requires professional equipment or a photographer with really good skills. It can look silver, white, off-white, or beige depending on the ambient lighting…or angle you're looking at it as it drives by.

I saw this pic below of someone selling their moonlight M6 and it did a rather descent job of capturing the elusive hue of this color…and the Amaro interior is killer:
I'm looking for that exact color combo but in a 18/19 production year. Also moving from the M5 to the M6. I will patiently wait for the right set up.

Congrats on your purchase. Any plans for mods?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:22 AM   #20
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post

And thank me later.

Hmmm

Didn’t know this was a thing ? How much does it usually cost to do a set?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:24 AM   #21
bizzmeister
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
I'm looking for that exact color combo but in a 18/19 production year. Also moving from the M5 to the M6. I will patiently wait for the right set up.

Congrats on your purchase. Any plans for mods?
Nice, good luck man. Took me about 7-8 months to find this car in this spec. Mine is a 2018.

As far as plans for mods. Nothing really power wise. Just did a minor carbon front lip that’s really subtle and black kidney grills. Now just waiting on my wheels to be made and delivered

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #22
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post

And thank me later.

Hmmm

Didn’t know this was a thing ? How much does it usually cost to do a set?
It depends. If you just do the outside, it's cheap. I went the other route and got the full inner barrels done too as part of my overall ceramic package. It was about 800.
Appreciate 0