BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-09-2022, 06:27 AM   #1
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2016 650ix GC

Issues with Lane Change Warning

I have some issues with Lane Change Warning. After turning it on, it works for a couple of minutes, then I see an LCW error on the display and it's automatically turning off. It's difficult to understand for me.. If there is an issue, why it's working correctly for some time and then it stops? My tech guy after connecting to ISTA told me the KaFAS camera is from different model and that's the reason.

Can KaFAS be the source of the issue with lane departure warning really? From my understanding it should use some sensors in the rear bumper..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Lane departure uses camera behind wing mirror I believe. Not sensors in rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

What I really meant is blind spot detection, these yellow triangles in the left/right mirrors. There's LCW error on the display, so I suppose it's 'Lane Change Warning'.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If the issue is with the Lane Departure feature...it uses the KAFAS camera: (see #6 in pic below)

Video camera

The video camera for the lane departure warning installed in the mirror base of the inside mirror monitors the near field of the vehicle. The video camera records the roadway up to approx. 40 metres in front of the vehicle and up to approx. 5 metres to the right and left at the sides of the vehicle. Image data are routed over a LVDS data line to the KAFAS control unit and evaluated. The control unit uses image processing to search in the imagery recorded by the video camera for possible existing lane and road markings.

If the issue is with the Lane Change feature (aka Blind Spot)...it uses radar located in the bumpers: (see #2 in the pic below)

{B149 & B150 are the locations of the radars in the rear bumper}

Lane change warning (SWW)

The lane change warning supports the driver when changing lanes. To do so, the lane change warning uses 2 radar sensors to monitor the traffic behind and to the side of the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #5
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Thanks for help!

It's definitely an issue with LCW (lane change warning) - first button below the light switch. It stops working after a couple minutes of driving and ISTA doesn't show anything about this. Tt's weird, isn't it? This button has even different backlight than other buttons, hm..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 02:43 AM   #6
bgmeeks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Hi Did you ever resolve this problem?
My car does exactly the same and my dealer said the same.. change of head unit causes issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 02:44 AM   #7
bgmeeks
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPL View Post
I have some issues with Lane Change Warning. After turning it on, it works for a couple of minutes, then I see an LCW error on the display and it's automatically turning off. It's difficult to understand for me.. If there is an issue, why it's working correctly for some time and then it stops? My tech guy after connecting to ISTA told me the KaFAS camera is from different model and that's the reason.

Can KaFAS be the source of the issue with lane departure warning really? From my understanding it should use some sensors in the rear bumper..
Did you sort it?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:01 AM   #8
bgmeeks
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If the issue is with the Lane Departure feature...it uses the KAFAS camera: (see #6 in pic below)

Video camera

The video camera for the lane departure warning installed in the mirror base of the inside mirror monitors the near field of the vehicle. The video camera records the roadway up to approx. 40 metres in front of the vehicle and up to approx. 5 metres to the right and left at the sides of the vehicle. Image data are routed over a LVDS data line to the KAFAS control unit and evaluated. The control unit uses image processing to search in the imagery recorded by the video camera for possible existing lane and road markings.

If the issue is with the Lane Change feature (aka Blind Spot)...it uses radar located in the bumpers: (see #2 in the pic below)

{B149 & B150 are the locations of the radars in the rear bumper}

Lane change warning (SWW)

The lane change warning supports the driver when changing lanes. To do so, the lane change warning uses 2 radar sensors to monitor the traffic behind and to the side of the vehicle.

Thanks that info... you seem to be 'up' on this set up... Does it make sense that because i changed my Head Unit (upgrade) it would effect the Lane Change Warning system? seems a bit strange to me?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

I have the same issue, the malfunction seems to be triggered by the steering column vibration warning, i.e. it works fine sensing vehicles in the blind spot and illuminating the mirror triangles, but if I use the turn signal and the car tries to warn me by vibrating the steering column, the system malfunctions. As far as I know the components are all original, but I'm not the first owner, got it @ 5 years & 32k miles, it's a 2015 w/ 5/2014 build date fwiw.

Last edited by TGrits10; 10-07-2022 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 02:08 AM   #10
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
I have the same issue, the malfunction seems to be triggered by the steering column vibration warning, i.e. it works fine sensing vehicles in the blind spot and illuminating the mirror triangles, but if I use the turn signal and the car tries to warn me by vibrating the steering column, the system malfunctions. As far as I know the components are all original, but I'm not the first owner, got it @ 5 years & 32k miles, it's a 2015 w/ 5/2014 build date fwiw.
If it's triggered by the vibrations on steering column, probably it's a problem with the insulation of the bundle below a wheel. Do you have any other issues your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #11
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPL View Post
If it's triggered by the vibrations on steering column, probably it's a problem with the insulation of the bundle below a wheel. Do you have any other issues your car?

I'm with you, that or a loose connection. If I had time on my hands or it was under warranty I'd look into it, as it is I just leave it off.

Only other electrical thing I'm currently seeing is comfort access issues, which I doubt is related.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 01:35 PM   #12
JeremyPL
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
I'm with you, that or a loose connection. If I had time on my hands or it was under warranty I'd look into it, as it is I just leave it off.

Only other electrical thing I'm currently seeing is comfort access issues, which I doubt is related.
Maybe is maybe isn't related. All that stuff communicate through flex bus and may be a reason of some malfunctions. The fact is that I have also issues with comfort access. I was told today to replace bad door handle, because it may be the reason of the problem...
Appreciate 0