BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
xxTHIR13ENxx
Private First Class
United_States
41
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: F06 M6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tamarac, FL

iTrader: (0)

Spark Plug Question

Hello,

I'm shopping for spark plugs and see on FCP the genuine BMW recommended plug listed but also a Bosch option at less than half the price:

Genuine BMW
Bosch

Under "Fitment", Bosch's plug lists M5's and M6's, so it should work, but question is, how different are these plugs, "really"?
I am not a fan of paying twice as much for name, but also don't want to run into any issues.

Is anyone with an M6 here running the Bosch plugs, and if so, how have they been holding up?
Car has the Comp. package, but otherwise stock power-wise.

Thanks in advance.
- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
RagtagXMASTER
Private First Class
RagtagXMASTER's Avatar
33
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Get the ngk 97506 1 step colder. On the website it does not say it fits. But it is a direct replacement.

The bosch will be the exact same as as the genuine bmw ones. Same manufacturer.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...plug-ngk-96987
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Flo1989
Private
Flo1989's Avatar
29
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canfield, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
Get the ngk 97506 1 step colder. [/url]
+1 on the NGK's - Just ordered a set. Be sure to gap them if you're running a stage 2+ tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
xxTHIR13ENxx
Private First Class
United_States
41
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: F06 M6
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tamarac, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
+1 on the NGK's - Just ordered a set. Be sure to gap them if you're running a stage 2+ tune.
Appreciate the replies, guys.
The car is stock, though. What would be the benefits of running colder plugs?

- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
EnVe46
Major
EnVe46's Avatar
684
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: 14 M6 GC Comp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
+1 on the NGK's - Just ordered a set. Be sure to gap them if you're running a stage 2+ tune.
Im BM3 stage 2 91 octane tune, wanted to be on the mild side due to DCT clutches, and Im getting a hesitation/misfire up top in 3rd,4th,5th gear that was noticeable under WOT. I assume the stock plugs are my issue. After some reading seems most people are between .18-.22, is this accurate? What did you gap them too?
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
RagtagXMASTER
Private First Class
RagtagXMASTER's Avatar
33
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
Appreciate the replies, guys.
The car is stock, though. What would be the benefits of running colder plugs?

- Leo.
a colder plug helps remove heat from the combustion chamber through he tip and body of the plug, in essence helping to reduce pre ignition and misfire conditions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
RagtagXMASTER
Private First Class
RagtagXMASTER's Avatar
33
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Im BM3 stage 2 91 octane tune, wanted to be on the mild side due to DCT clutches, and Im getting a hesitation/misfire up top in 3rd,4th,5th gear that was noticeable under WOT. I assume the stock plugs are my issue. After some reading seems most people are between .18-.22, is this accurate? What did you gap them too?
you should have the plugs gapped to .18-.22, change your plugs and coils most likely. if the issue is not resolved with that, do the injectors.

I believe they all come gapped stock to something in the .36 range. you should close the gap accordingly. stock plugs will work just fine though. i would suspect though that the car is blowing out the spark when you are misfiring.

I had the same issue when i bought mine and changed all of the plugs and coils, with genuine BMW parts, for piece of mind, completely fixed my issue.

as a rule of thumb if you are going to change coils or plugs, just do them all at the same time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
EnVe46
Major
EnVe46's Avatar
684
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: 14 M6 GC Comp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
you should have the plugs gapped to .18-.22, change your plugs and coils most likely. if the issue is not resolved with that, do the injectors.

I believe they all come gapped stock to something in the .36 range. you should close the gap accordingly. stock plugs will work just fine though. i would suspect though that the car is blowing out the spark when you are misfiring.

I had the same issue when i bought mine and changed all of the plugs and coils, with genuine BMW parts, for piece of mind, completely fixed my issue.

as a rule of thumb if you are going to change coils or plugs, just do them all at the same time.
Thank you. I have bought the NGK colder plugs and will gap them to .20 per BM3 recommendation. Coils seem relatively cheap so Ill grab 8 of those are well.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Flo1989
Private
Flo1989's Avatar
29
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canfield, OH

iTrader: (1)

Has anyone been able to locate a gap tool that goes down to .020 other than the coin style? Which, seems to be a no-no for these type of NGK plugs. All the other gap tools Ive seen only go down to .025.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
RagtagXMASTER
Private First Class
RagtagXMASTER's Avatar
33
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Has anyone been able to locate a gap tool that goes down to .020 other than the coin style? Which, seems to be a no-no for these type of NGK plugs. All the other gap tools Ive seen only go down to .025.
Go get a proper feeler gauge and the screw cap spark plug gapping tool. I will post a couple links to the tools once i relocate them
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #11
Mr. M6
FEEL THE POWER
Mr. M6's Avatar
Bahrain
75
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bahrain

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Has anyone been able to locate a gap tool that goes down to .020 other than the coin style? Which, seems to be a no-no for these type of NGK plugs. All the other gap tools Ive seen only go down to .025.
https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...18598251823219
__________________
M6 GC CP + AMS CATLESS DP + AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST + MSR INTAKE=
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #12
Flo1989
Private
Flo1989's Avatar
29
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canfield, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
Go get a proper feeler gauge and the screw cap spark plug gapping tool. I will post a couple links to the tools once i relocate them
Thanks. I think I found what I needed..

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fee.../dp/B081CSVMMN

This for actually measuring the gap

And this for re-opening the gap If I happen to make it too tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B002INZFZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
I like that a lot. If I planned on having to do this often I would invest in that tool. But Im hoping this is a one & done type of deal.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST