BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
Pacer1723
Rep
Drives: bmw 640i

Garage List
help! - thumping in steering wheel

Hey guys, i have my 640i gran coupe and im experiencing weird noise / hitting my steering wheel and the noise comes from the behind of the tachometer/cockpit display. Its very hard to describe... I think it happens in slow speeds, in traffic jams. i cant define when its happening exactly but its annoying. I went through many of the threads here but couldnt find anything. Anybody could help?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Unless somebody else has experienced it, you are going to have to try harder to describe it. For example, does it happen all the time, or only when braking or turning or at certain speeds? You say you "think" it happens only at slow speeds. What do you mean you "think"? Is it so subtle that you cannot tell if it is happening at higher speeds? it Is it mostly a noise or mostly a feeling? Think something common it feel sounds like. If it's a noise, is is loud enough your passenger can hear it?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Pacer1723
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Unless somebody else has experienced it, you are going to have to try harder to describe it. For example, does it happen all the time, or only when braking or turning or at certain speeds? You say you "think" it happens only at slow speeds. What do you mean you "think"? Is it so subtle that you cannot tell if it is happening at higher speeds? it Is it mostly a noise or mostly a feeling? Think something common it feel sounds like. If it's a noise, is is loud enough your passenger can hear it?
thanks for coming back to me. well it reminds me like it is a screw that keeps sliping on the thread. like there is some mechanism that starts it nad the noise happens everytime the screw-thread jumps back. Thats the closest i can describe it. It goes everytime for like 10 to 20 seconds and it is noticeable by the passenger as well. It happens usually when im in traffic jams and not necessary when in motion too. When it starts and im standing it just keeps going. Its both noise and you can feel it knocking in the steering wheel. I hope this is more detailed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Does the motor that raises and lowers your steering wheel work as normal? Do all the different settings to direct air different places on your AC/heat system work correctly?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacer1723 View Post
thanks for coming back to me. well it reminds me like it is a screw that keeps sliping on the thread. like there is some mechanism that starts it nad the noise happens everytime the screw-thread jumps back. Thats the closest i can describe it. It goes everytime for like 10 to 20 seconds and it is noticeable by the passenger as well. It happens usually when im in traffic jams and not necessary when in motion too. When it starts and im standing it just keeps going. Its both noise and you can feel it knocking in the steering wheel. I hope this is more detailed.
could it be the lane departure warning system? Personally I find this actually alittle annoying in my car and mostly turn it off. it vibrates the steering wheel if it senses you are crossing out of your lane. perhaps this vibration motor might be causing this noise? just a thought. it should of course NOT be noisy…. it should put a slight vibration through the steering wheel that only the driver is aware of.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:38 AM   #6
Pacer1723
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Does the motor that raises and lowers your steering wheel work as normal? Do all the different settings to direct air different places on your AC/heat system work correctly?
the steering wheel motor works without an issue. I turned off all clima - blowers, AC and still does it. I tried the old school trick with going all the way to the left with the steering wheel and hit brake few times and the the same to the right, repeated three times the pump some air to the SERVO. I drove just a little bit and it seemed like it helped, but have to drive more.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #7
Pacer1723
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
could it be the lane departure warning system? Personally I find this actually alittle annoying in my car and mostly turn it off. it vibrates the steering wheel if it senses you are crossing out of your lane. perhaps this vibration motor might be causing this noise? just a thought. it should of course NOT be noisy…. it should put a slight vibration through the steering wheel that only the driver is aware of.
Hi, no the noise and claping is different to the vibration of the functionalities :/
Appreciate 0