BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 30d & 2013 640i GC

640i GC Soft Close Door Malfunction

Car was standing still and engine was running, then all of sudden I hear a POP / Bang from inside the door panel on the driver's side. Then I tried to close the door and the soft close didn't pull the door.
There is no grinding noise after the it closes, so it's not the motor / actuator.
When I slam the door to close it, I can still hear a click after the door shut.

Anybody has a similar experience ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esthero View Post
Car was standing still and engine was running, then all of sudden I hear a POP / Bang from inside the door panel on the driver's side. Then I tried to close the door and the soft close didn't pull the door.
There is no grinding noise after the it closes, so it's not the motor / actuator.
When I slam the door to close it, I can still hear a click after the door shut.

Anybody has a similar experience ?
There’s a bowden cable attached to the motor and the door lock actuator that tends to snap off. In my experience its usually the stopper crimped onto the actuator-end of the cable that comes off. I fixed this on our X5 by soldering a new stopper on to the bowden cable and the fixe held for years. Your mileage may vary.

It’s not a particularly easy task since you need to feel around a lot inside the door cavity to unhook the cable. Be prepared for some cuts and scrapes. The 6series also uses a slightly different hardware arrangement than the x5 but the principle remains the same.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
There’s a bowden cable attached to the motor and the door lock actuator that tends to snap off. In my experience its usually the stopper crimped onto the actuator-end of the cable that comes off. I fixed this on our X5 by soldering a new stopper on to the bowden cable and the fixe held for years. Your mileage may vary.

It’s not a particularly easy task since you need to feel around a lot inside the door cavity to unhook the cable. Be prepared for some cuts and scrapes. The 6series also uses a slightly different hardware arrangement than the x5 but the principle remains the same.
make sense, since I heard a loud popping sound before it malfunction. Do you think the cable snap has something to do with the door being slammed like you would close a normal door? because prior to this, I took my car to the carwash and most people who doesn't know about the soft close tends to slam the door.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Hugo_nz

so the bowden cable you mentioned is no 2 on the diagram right? the one that connects the door lock & the soft close actuator.

I assumed no 9 & 10 are the bowden cable that connect to the door handle, and since I have no problem opening the door, that's not the cable that snapped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Hugo_nz

so the bowden cable you mentioned is no 2 on the diagram right? the one that connects the door lock & the soft close actuator.

I assumed no 9 & 10 are the bowden cable that connect to the door handle, and since I have no problem opening the door, that's not the cable that snapped.
That's right, it's no2. Credit to BMW, they designed it in such a way that it does not interfere with normal door operation if the soft lose function fails. Unlike the X5 hardware I don't think the 6-series is serviceable so BMW will likely want to sell you the entire set (actuator and door lock) so your best bet would be to check ebay. There are plenty of listing
      12-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
make sense, since I heard a loud popping sound before it malfunction. Do you think the cable snap has something to do with the door being slammed like you would close a normal door? because prior to this, I took my car to the carwash and most people who doesn't know about the soft close tends to slam the door.
Nope. Wouldn't have anything to do with the cable snapping. It's under tension most the door cavities become pretty hot. The failure rate on these is not exactly low.
      12-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
That's right, it's no2. Credit to BMW, they designed it in such a way that it does not interfere with normal door operation if the soft lose function fails. Unlike the X5 hardware I don't think the 6-series is serviceable so BMW will likely want to sell you the entire set (actuator and door lock) so your best bet would be to check ebay. There are plenty of listing
I read it somewhere in the X5 forum a user modified the broken part by soldering a metal part to replace the plastic. Do you think we can do the same with the 6-series? I'd prefer doing this to prevent the plastic from breaking up again in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:11 AM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I read it somewhere in the X5 forum a user modified the broken part by soldering a metal part to replace the plastic. Do you think we can do the same with the 6-series? I'd prefer doing this to prevent the plastic from breaking up again in the future.
That was me lol. Here's the post you may be thinking about. https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=3

On the 6-er this is not a serviceable part, and BMW only sells the complete assembly including the motor and lock. FCPEuro sells them for around US$570 each.
      12-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
That was me lol. Here's the post you may be thinking about. https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=3

On the 6-er this is not a serviceable part, and BMW only sells the complete assembly including the motor and lock. FCPEuro sells them for around US$570 each.
i didnt notice the username.
But wow... $570 OUCH.

might as well just give it a try and who knows I may find someone who can modify it #fingercrossed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #10
smart_bimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i F06

Quote:

meaning soldering a new stopper on to no2, can get back the soft closing?
Appreciate 0