01-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Chromebook anyone?

OK, most people believe that Google is evil and the general consensus is they're spying on you which could very well be true.

Facebook has been caught spying and selling your info to target advertisement.

Does Google need their own device to spy on you seeing how Google is the most used search engine?

Let's explore this conspiracy further. I was watching a movie on Netflix and as soon as I typed the first word of the title on my phone, the entire name of the movie popped up. Now, how the hell does it do that?

It wasn't like I was typing "Jaws" I was typing "the"

A similar thing happened during Christmas while I was listening to a Christmas song on Alexa. As soon as I typed a word on my phone, the name of the song already popped up.

However, a Chromebook running Chromeos is a Linux based computer with just a light sprinkle of an operating system. It springs to life from complete shutdown to running in 5 seconds.

It outperforms Core-i7 Windows computer with its low power Core-i3 processor for web browsing. It's the king of surfing.

Now the question comes to mind: Is Chromebook a precursor to "Skynet"
or is this coincidental. Do I need to start wrapping my head with tinfoil?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
It's spying on you....just look at their data collect sites. Who controls the information controls the power.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I remember reading an article about Target that they use your debit card transactions to track your purchases. And they have enough aggregate data to know if you're pregnant or not based on your purchase history (Lotion/vitamins? i guess?). Anyways this man called corporate complaining that they sent his house maternity driven ads (coupons for diapers etc). He called back later apologizing because his teenage daughter was pregnant and just hadn't told anyone about it.

So i imagine netflix does the same thing. Based on every subcribers like and watch history, they can probably predict pretty easily the type of shows you want to see and gear their content towards that.
      01-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
A similar thing happened during Christmas while I was listening to a Christmas song on Alexa. As soon as I typed a word on my phone, the name of the song already popped up.
You intentionally have a listening device in your home and you wonder how the big techs guys know what you're listening to?

Wifey has the cursed Facebook app on her iPhone and wonders why when she talks to me about needing a new pillow or something, she instantly sees Facebook ads for the exact thing she was talking to me about.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614882.00
      01-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any cell phone is a listening/video recording device that could be remotely viewed 24/7. It's just incredible to me how they've joined force since Apple and Amazon are major rivals.

They seemed to be collaborating to the point of borderline illegal. Maybe their rivalry is just a marketing strategy. I don't mind them tailoring their services to me, I just don't need them to torture or kill me a la horror movie style.

This meant the ISP, Apple server, Google server, Amazon server are the same entity.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
OK, most people believe that Google is evil and the general consensus is they're spying on you which could very well be true.

Facebook has been caught spying and selling your info to target advertisement.

Does Google need their own device to spy on you seeing how Google is the most used search engine?

Let's explore this conspiracy further. I was watching a movie on Netflix and as soon as I typed the first word of the title on my phone, the entire name of the movie popped up. Now, how the hell does it do that?

It wasn't like I was typing "Jaws" I was typing "the"

However, a Chromebook running Chromeos is a Linux based computer with just a light sprinkle of an operating system. It springs to life from complete shutdown to running in 5 seconds.

It outperforms Core-i7 Windows computer with its low power Core-i3 processor for web browsing. It's the king of surfing.

Hi, what were you typing "the" in?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Apple iPhone search on Safari.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:

I think there first will be a big AI battle (so no Man vs. AI battle):
Google vs. Apple vs. Facebook
Is Microsoft still a contender in this game or did they miss the boat?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Apple iPhone search on Safari.
Hmmm, interesting! Thanks for the quick reply. I ask because I'm a mega nerd.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:24 AM   #10
yahoosoda
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 F11 520d

I just wonder what happend to their modular phone, idea was great but didnt work out, hmm
I never saw anyone use a chromebook but IMO coud work pretty good, if it ould be as good as android on smartphones
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
PJLux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

It's your phone. I have a similar story. Was chatting with a co-worker about specific propane fittings in certain applications. Well wouldn't ya know, the next day all my ads and "suggested" videos on YT were regarding propane fittings and uses.

Kinda makes me think of the scene in Minority Report after Cruze gets new eyes, he's walking through a mall and gets a targeted ad for jeans or something. Welcome to the future kiddos!
Appreciate 0