BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Petepacman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Headlight Coding Question

Has anyone used the BimmerCode app to turn off the tiny amber light in the headlights? (USA spec car)

We have pretty much coded everything else but this one seems to elude us, thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Petepacman; 04-05-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepacman View Post
Has anyone used the BimmerCode app to turn off the tiny amber light in the headlights? (USA spec car)

We have pretty much coded everything else but this one seems to elude us, thanks!
Expert mode FRM> 3060 FRM_U_EFFEKTIV > U_EFF_SM_V

Wert_01 to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Here is another example where someone may get incorrect information by not supplying their model & model year. The communication bus for the f06/f12/f13 changed throughout the production run.

The early models used the FRM (footwell module) for control of exterior lighting...then it changed to the FEM (front electronic module)...then latter models have the BDC (body domain controller)

Depending on your build date/model year...you may not find that coding shortcut in Expert Mode when the app reads your control modules. The shortcut given works if you have the FRM control module...but if you have the BDC or FEM...it may not work. BE CAREFUL when using expert mode.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
HeyKC101.50
      04-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Petepacman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Here is another example where someone may get incorrect information by not supplying their model & model year. The communication bus for the f06/f12/f13 changed throughout the production run.

The early models used the FRM (footwell module) for control of exterior lighting...then it changed to the FEM (front electronic module)...then latter models have the BDC (body domain controller)

Depending on your build date/model year...you may not find that coding shortcut in Expert Mode when the app reads your control modules. The shortcut given works if you have the FRM control module...but if you have the BDC or FEM...it may not work. BE CAREFUL when using expert mode.
Thank you for the info! I have a 2015 F06 but I’m not sure of the build date right now but I can get back to you on that. Is there a way I can find out which build dates have which module?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I have a 2015 F06 but I’m not sure of the build date right now but I can get back to you on that. Is there a way I can find out which build dates have which module?

Thanks for the model year info. I believe you do have the FRM module.

If you have the BimmerCode app...you can simply open the app and let it read your modules...and you’ll see which one you have (FRM, FEM, or BDC).

If you don’t have the app yet...you can use one of the online part database sites like www.realoem.com . If you input the last 7 digits of your VIN then pull up the diagrams...go to the diagrams for VEHICLE ELECTRICAL (I think it is category 61)...scroll down to the control module diagrams and see if it has the FRM (footwell), FEM (front electronics module), or the BDC (body domain controller) listed. When you use your ‘VIN to pull up diagrams...the database becomes specific to your cars options/build/etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Petepacman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post

Wert_01 to turn it off.
This worked perfectly, thanks!
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 03:28 AM   #7
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This worked perfectly, thanks!

You are welcome.

Any one knows how to turn off the eyebrows?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:

If you have the BimmerCode app...you can simply open the app and let it read your modules...and you’ll see which one you have (FRM, FEM, or BDC).

If you don’t have the app yet...you can use one of the online part database sites like www.realoem.com . If you input the last 7 digits of your VIN then pull up the diagrams...go to the diagrams for VEHICLE ELECTRICAL (I think it is category 61)...scroll down to the control module diagrams and see if it has the FRM (footwell), FEM (front electronics module), or the BDC (body domain controller) listed. When you use your ‘VIN to pull up diagrams...the database becomes specific to your cars options/build/etc.

Man you have a ton of awesome knowledge. I didnt even know you could code this bit out!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

Wert_01 to turn it off.
I gave this a try today via BimmerCode on my 2016 M6 -- I followed all of these steps and applied the coding to Wert_01, however, the amber persists when I unlock the car and the 'Welcome Lights' come on.

Is it possible that this may be different for LCI cars?

Thanks!
      06-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
I gave this a try today via BimmerCode on my 2016 M6 -- I followed all of these steps and applied the coding to Wert_01, however, the amber persists when I unlock the car and the 'Welcome Lights' come on.

Is it possible that this may be different for LCI cars?

Thanks!
For the welcome lights I believe you should set "Welcome lights sidemarkers" to not active.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the welcome lights I believe you should set "Welcome lights sidemarkers" to not active.
They are set as not active -- I believe this is just for the side marker behind the front wheels

06-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They are set as not active -- I believe this is just for the side marker behind the front wheels

I cant remember exactly what I have done to turn it off it was awhile ago.

Let me check my car.

Try to change them to soft then code and then go back to not active and code.

Last edited by M6Roar; 06-11-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cant remember exactly what I have done to turn it off it was awhile ago.

Let me check my car.

Try to change them to soft then code and then go back to not active and code.
Let me know what you find out. I'd love to find a way to isolate only the angel eye LED's when unlocking the car. Love the way it looks when its dark out, the amber is really cramping the look
      06-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Is there coding to enact rear fog lights switch?
      12-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #15
Petepacman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let me know what you find out. I'd love to find a way to isolate only the angel eye LED's when unlocking the car. Love the way it looks when its dark out, the amber is really cramping the look
Any update on this? I have a LCI car now and will be coding it this weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was able to get this accomplished through the guys at CodeMyBimmer.ca (finally)

I would reach out to them to see what they would charge. I had to have my IHKA / Climate Control modules "re-flashed" since I swapped the units for the ones with ceramic knobs. This plus the headlight coding worked out to be $125 total so I'm sure you could get the headlights done for less. Much cleaner look with them coded off, I love it personally.

Steve @ CodeMyBimmer was great to work with!
      12-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to find a way to isolate only the angel eye LED's when unlocking the car. Love the way it looks when its dark out, the amber is really cramping the look
Quote:
If you have the Bimmercode app...look for a selection to make SIDE MARKERS active for welcome lights. The angel eye rings illuminate when the car's side marker/parking lights are turned on...so if you want them to illuminate with the welcome light feature...then select for "side markers" to illuminate.

Now if you've selected to turn off your side markers to where you only see them when you are using your turn indicators...then you'll probably need to code your sidemarkers back on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #18
Petepacman
Private
Rep

Qsilver7

I checked the website and put in my VIN but it still says FRM which is strange because I have a 2017 LCI. I tried the same code in expert mode to turn off those ambers but it did not work this time. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #19
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Qsilver7

I checked the website and put in my VIN but it still says FRM which is strange because I have a 2017 LCI. I tried the same code in expert mode to turn off those ambers but it did not work this time. Any help?
I followed these same steps as well prior to paying CodeMyBimmer.ca guys to do it for me -- everything that logically pointed to the ambers being coded out within BimmerCode didn't work for me. My car is LCI also
      12-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Qsilver7

If you have the Bimmercode app and the OBD adapter..use that instead of the website. The app and OBD adapter will read your communication bus, then list all the control modules you have that are codeable.

Lighting will either be in the FRM, FEM?, or BDC control module depending on build date and communication bus set-up you have. You can scroll through the app to see all the things codeable in the app when it’s connected to your car. You won’t hurt anything by looking at what’s available. The only time changes occur is when you select a change the click the CODE button. Until you do that the app won’t do anything to your car.

Again, read your bus then select the control module that controls your lights,. If you want to select angel eyes for Welcome Lights for when you unlock the car...that should be on the easy side.

In regards to turning off the little amber light in the headlamps...I’m not familiar with that coding because its not something that interested me...so i never followed those coding parameters. I don’t know if tha is on the easy side or the EXPERT. MODE side.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have the Bimmercode app and the OBD adapter..use that instead of the website. The app and OBD adapter will read your communication bus, then list all the control modules you have that are codeable.

Lighting will either be in the FRM, FEM?, or BDC control module depending on build date and communication bus set-up you have. You can scroll through the app to see all the things codeable in the app when it’s connected to your car. You won’t hurt anything by looking at what’s available. The only time changes occur is when you select a change the click the CODE button. Until you do that the app won’t do anything to your car.

Again, read your bus then select the control module that controls your lights,. If you want to select angel eyes for Welcome Lights for when you unlock the car...that should be on the easy side.

In regards to turning off the little amber light in the headlamps...I’m not familiar with that coding because its not something that interested me...so i never followed those coding parameters. I don’t know if tha is on the easy side or the EXPERT. MODE side.
Yes the angel eyes configured for the welcome lights is fairly simple -- it is the little amber light that I could never figure out how to code out
      12-16-2023, 03:42 AM   #22
ToBMWma
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

side indicator BMW F12 2011

Quote:

hello, i have a problem with the sidemarkers, i live in europe and i have to have 3 indocators, the middle one's so the sidemarkers do not bliknk ( they are constantly on but do not blink, can you help?
Appreciate 0