BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Francoandlinda
Rep
Drives: 2012 M6 Convertible

Garage List
Drivetrain malfunction- ideas?

Hey guys, hope someone can shed some light on my current issue.

I have a 2012 M6 convertible. Since I took it out of storage this spring, I have had this issue 4 times. When I hammer the pedal, I feel a shuddering and I get this drivetrain malfunction alert. The car puts me in reduced power.

When I scan the car... it shows no fault codes with my reader. If I clear all codes, I get my power back and it drives normal. This has happened 4 times, each time when I step on it.

Any thoughts? I do have a racechip piggyback installed... and I have changed the maps 4 times. Happens each time. I'm wondering if it's a spark plug issue... a drivetrain/clutch issue...

Vehicle has 40k miles on it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francoandlinda View Post
Hey guys, hope someone can shed some light on my current issue.

I have a 2012 M6 convertible. Since I took it out of storage this spring, I have had this issue 4 times. When I hammer the pedal, I feel a shuddering and I get this drivetrain malfunction alert. The car puts me in reduced power.

When I scan the car... it shows no fault codes with my reader. If I clear all codes, I get my power back and it drives normal. This has happened 4 times, each time when I step on it.

Any thoughts? I do have a racechip piggyback installed... and I have changed the maps 4 times. Happens each time. I'm wondering if it's a spark plug issue... a drivetrain/clutch issue...

Vehicle has 40k miles on it
Interesting that no codes are being thrown, but FWIW when I had a similar issue around 50k miles. I put new plugs and coils in and have never had the issue since
      05-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #3
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Try this

Cylinder misfire solved! https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825491
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

When I scan the car... it shows no fault codes with my reader. If I clear all codes, I get my power back and it drives normal.
How can you clear all the fault codes when you say you dont get any
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
Francoandlinda
Rep
Drives: 2012 M6 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
How can you clear all the fault codes when you say you dont get any
Exactly. That's what I don't get. When I go to read the code, it says "no error code available"

But if I hit "erase all codes", the car immediately goes back to
Normal.

I'm bringing it in next week. Hopefully I can re create the problem on the way to the dealer so they can read it immediately.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
But if I hit "erase all codes", the car immediately goes back to
Normal.
What type of scanner are you using? If it is an OBD II scanner/reader...that may be the reason you’re not seeing any codes. A generic OBD II scanner/reader is only designed to retrieve DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) that are related to the car’s emissions system. OBD II was a 1996 federal mandate (in the USA market) that required that all car manufactures meet a common standard for diagnostics in regards to emissive pollution measures. This type of scanner will only retrieve fault codes if your CEL (check engine light) or SES (service engine soon) light, or MIL (malfunction indicator light) illuminates.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0