BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Plastic Sith
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

Help with Ultrasonic Park Assistant Sensor 66209250882

Looking for a bit of help with the ultrasonic sensor used with the Park Assistant function, part number 66209250882 please.

As you can see from this pic, there is a white 'spot' on the back of the sensor that is filled with a white almost paste like coating. You'll see from the pic some of this has chipped away. Does anyone know what this is and whether the fact the surface is damaged will affect the functionality of the sensor?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I've never seen one up close, but it looks like it is made by injection of that substance through that hole and what you are looking at what squeezed out at the end. I think it's no big deal a bit chipped off.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #3
Plastic Sith
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your response.

Interestingly I just removed the driver's side sensor (RHD) and where the white 'spot' is there is some sort of cap. Also noted compared to the offside sensor there is also a cap where another white spot is on the 'clear' side of the sensor. So it appears that both caps may somehow have become detached on the sensor with the 'spots'. This seems to be a common thing on used sensors I've seen on eBay etc.

Both sensors share the part number 6620 9250882 but the one with no caps is then designated 01 whereas the one with the caps is designated 02 (you may be able to make this out on the pictures) 01 was manufactured in 15/5/14 and 02 17/03/15.

Both sensors currently on my car have no caps on them so I wonder if there will be an issue with water/moisture ingress going forwards.

The sensors are manufactured by Hella.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Sith View Post
Thanks for your response.

Interestingly I just removed the driver's side sensor (RHD) and where the white 'spot' is there is some sort of cap. Also noted compared to the offside sensor there is also a cap where another white spot is on the 'clear' side of the sensor. So it appears that both caps may somehow have become detached on the sensor with the 'spots'. This seems to be a common thing on used sensors I've seen on eBay etc.

Both sensors share the part number 6620 9250882 but the one with no caps is then designated 01 whereas the one with the caps is designated 02 (you may be able to make this out on the pictures) 01 was manufactured in 15/5/14 and 02 17/03/15.

Both sensors currently on my car have no caps on them so I wonder if there will be an issue with water/moisture ingress going forwards.

The sensors are manufactured by Hella.
Wiping the spots with alcohol and applying a dab of silicone caulk won't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
Plastic Sith
United Kingdom
Rep

Further in this, I replaced both left and right sensors with second hand parts as I was getting a Park Assistant fault every time I operated it. Now whilst it is working I believe it is operating on an older version of the software.

Previously I would receive blue 'P' messages on the display when it was undertaking the manoeuvre but now I get an amber 'P'.

I have a September 2014 build f06 and the sensors I have replaced the original ones with have a 2011 manufacturing date.

No faults are being recorded in Carly for the PMA module.
Appreciate 0