TychoBrahe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW M6  [0.00]
Front Brake Pad Clunk

Hello,

I replaced the front and rear brake pads on my 2014 M6 GC. Everything went smoothly with the install and was happy with that.

Over the next couple of days, I noticed when I would brake in a different direction, the front brakes would squeal and then I would hear a clunk; ie. reversing, brake *clunk*, then forward, brake *clunk.

So the brake pads are moving slightly. When I investigated, I was able to recreate the sound by just moving the brake pad up and down.

If you have replaced the front brake pads, you know that there are two guide pins in each caliper. Well that is what is causing the squealing sound; the brake pads moving and rubbing on those guide pins. I am really not sure what to do about the clunking and squealling sounding.

I got OEM like Jurid brake pads, so I believe they should be fairly the same, if not identical. I was wondering what advice or tips anyone might have to help alleviate that clunking.

From my research, I couldnt really find much on how to get rid of it. But I know its not necessarily bad, but its very annoying to have to hear every time I back out of the driveway or parking spot.

Thank you!

P.S. I forgot to mention, that if I go over a pothole or bump, I can hear the same squealing sound. So i think if the wheel moves up or quickly, the brake pad also moves and causing the squealing.

Last edited by TychoBrahe; 11-19-2022 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoBrahe View Post
Hello,

I replaced the front and rear brake pads on my 2014 M6 GC. Everything went smoothly with the install and was happy with that.

Over the next couple of days, I noticed when I would brake in a different direction, the front brakes would squeal and then I would hear a clunk; ie. reversing, brake *clunk*, then forward, brake *clunk.

So the brake pads are moving slightly. When I investigated, I was able to recreate the sound by just moving the brake pad up and down.

If you have replaced the front brake pads, you know that there are two guide pins in each caliper. Well that is what is causing the squealing sound; the brake pads moving and rubbing on those guide pins. I am really not sure what to do about the clunking and squealling sounding.

I got OEM like Jurid brake pads, so I believe they should be fairly the same, if not identical. I was wondering what advice or tips anyone might have to help alleviate that clunking.

From my research, I couldnt really find much on how to get rid of it. But I know its not necessarily bad, but its very annoying to have to hear every time I back out of the driveway or parking spot.

Thank you!

P.S. I forgot to mention, that if I go over a pothole or bump, I can hear the same squealing sound. So i think if the wheel moves up or quickly, the brake pad also moves and causing the squealing.
I had the "clunk" issue on my 5 series. It ended up being the aftermarket pads being slightly smaller than the genuine ones. They had room to move slightly back and forth when changing directions. I noticed after running with them for a while it actually wore a slightly longer slot into the carrier where they would hit upon changing direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
TychoBrahe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I had the "clunk" issue on my 5 series. It ended up being the aftermarket pads being slightly smaller than the genuine ones. They had room to move slightly back and forth when changing directions. I noticed after running with them for a while it actually wore a slightly longer slot into the carrier where they would hit upon changing direction.
Did you do anything to fix it? Or did you replace the pads for genuine ones?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoBrahe View Post
Quote:
Did you do anything to fix it? Or did you replace the pads for genuine ones?
I replaced them with genuine ones and they fit better, but because I waited so long the carriers now have a slightly elongated area where even the genuine ones now have a tiny bit of movement. I recommend going with genuine right away if aftermarket ones nice around too much. It's not the end of the world to have the sound, but over time the carriers will slowly start to get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
I replaced them with genuine ones and they fit better, but because I waited so long the carriers now have a slightly elongated area where even the genuine ones now have a tiny bit of movement. I recommend going with genuine right away if aftermarket ones nice around too much. It's not the end of the world to have the sound, but over time the carriers will slowly start to get damaged.
Spot on comment, had the issue in 4 series and M6, the movement as they wear is to allow for heat expansion between the pad and caliper, had pads and discs replaced under warranty, problem came back but not as bad as before
Appreciate 0