BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Hvac blower noise on max AC

I have had my f06 looked at regarding AC noise on max setting. The dealer months back had replaced my cabin filters and charged me extra to remedy the noise however they never got rid of the noise... fast forward to now, I had a chance to take apart the hvac blower and housing after seeing it was not that difficult on YouTube. The hvac system is fairly similar across most BMW models so that is what allowed me to feel confident and jump in.

Before I ordered a new blower motor housing or any other parts I wanted to inspect things for myself. After taking it apart I noticed the filter media on the housing was good and that there was hardly any junk in the blower itself. I vacuumed, cleaned and carefully wiped away all grime including the rubber inlet closest to the cabin filters after the blower.

Long story short after putting everything back and vacuuming our a couple tiny leaves the hvac and noise that was present is now gone! The ac sounds smooth at max setting! Just worth checking out if your in a similar situation...

One tip is that the actual housing with the rubber flaps - that was very grimy and dirty and required careful cleaning on the bench to make them almost like new again... worth taking your time...
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
I have had my f06 looked at regarding AC noise on max setting. The dealer months back had replaced my cabin filters and charged me extra to remedy the noise however they never got rid of the noise... fast forward to now, I had a chance to take apart the hvac blower and housing after seeing it was not that difficult on YouTube. The hvac system is fairly similar across most BMW models so that is what allowed me to feel confident and jump in.

Before I ordered a new blower motor housing or any other parts I wanted to inspect things for myself. After taking it apart I noticed the filter media on the housing was good and that there was hardly any junk in the blower itself. I vacuumed, cleaned and carefully wiped away all grime including the rubber inlet closest to the cabin filters after the blower.

Long story short after putting everything back and vacuuming our a couple tiny leaves the hvac and noise that was present is now gone! The ac sounds smooth at max setting! Just worth checking out if your in a similar situation...

One tip is that the actual housing with the rubber flaps - that was very grimy and dirty and required careful cleaning on the bench to make them almost like new again... worth taking your time...
I too also get a weird noise when my AC gets turnt on. Could you explain the noise you were hearing in more detail?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
Quote:

I too also get a weird noise when my AC gets turnt on. Could you explain the noise you were hearing in more detail?
I wish I had documented this diy... basically the noise would be very loud and deep when on max setting on the ac for both front passenger and driver sides... the noise would be obvious enough that I ended up taking the car to the dealer months back which at the time I was just not informed enough to feel confident digging in myself... nothing was addressed by them other then replacing the in-cabin two filters - no noise improvement and they gave me a bs excuse about possible seal or lose material by the blower... they warned it may be best to replace the blower lmao...

After accepting the loud noise on max setting I ignored it living in south florida setting ac on max setting is a given lol!

Noise is not present unless it was on max only... sounded like something was being pulled in and blocking the air but was a constant drone sound no rattle or pattern other then a deep loud annoying drone noise...

The fix is confirmed 100% by taking the housing, blower with hamster wheel (careful not to break it since it's plastic), and the cover plate. Each segment of the assembly was cleaned at the bench carefully to ensure no oil, grime or material remained anywhere. Furthermore there was small dry leaves in the hamster wheel which alerted me to that being the main noise source... I vacuumed the cavity, including the area outside the blower area which introduced all the grime to begin with.

Importantly there is one rubber accordion looking seal that connects to the blower it is white in color. That was not easy to remove so I cleaned that in-place. Ironically that had the most gross grime on it. Borderline nasty AF black stuff... it's like a home hvac system... sadly the dealer would careless to just replace the blower and call it a day... one would never know that the real work was the cleaning then anything else as a primary focus.

Sorry to have so much dialog to make up for lack of images.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
I wish I had documented this diy... basically the noise would be very loud and deep when on max setting on the ac for both front passenger and driver sides... the noise would be obvious enough that I ended up taking the car to the dealer months back which at the time I was just not informed enough to feel confident digging in myself... nothing was addressed by them other then replacing the in-cabin two filters - no noise improvement and they gave me a bs excuse about possible seal or lose material by the blower... they warned it may be best to replace the blower lmao...

After accepting the loud noise on max setting I ignored it living in south florida setting ac on max setting is a given lol!

Noise is not present unless it was on max only... sounded like something was being pulled in and blocking the air but was a constant drone sound no rattle or pattern other then a deep loud annoying drone noise...

The fix is confirmed 100% by taking the housing, blower with hamster wheel (careful not to break it since it's plastic), and the cover plate. Each segment of the assembly was cleaned at the bench carefully to ensure no oil, grime or material remained anywhere. Furthermore there was small dry leaves in the hamster wheel which alerted me to that being the main noise source... I vacuumed the cavity, including the area outside the blower area which introduced all the grime to begin with.

Importantly there is one rubber accordion looking seal that connects to the blower it is white in color. That was not easy to remove so I cleaned that in-place. Ironically that had the most gross grime on it. Borderline nasty AF black stuff... it's like a home hvac system... sadly the dealer would careless to just replace the blower and call it a day... one would never know that the real work was the cleaning then anything else as a primary focus.

Sorry to have so much dialog to make up for lack of images.
Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to describe the issue you were having. The noise my AC blower is making stemmed from jacking the front-end from its engine jack-point. Its sounds more like a click or a tap, freakishly similar to a rod knock but only when the ac condensor is turnt on. BMW recommended replacing the idler pulley. Haven't had the time to do it yet. Considering how many leaves I have accumulating I just might take a look at the hvac while im in there.
Appreciate 0