BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

*F06* B&O Settings/Configuration

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I've struggled to find a good source for how other people have their B&O settings configured specifically in the F06 Gran Coupe's.

I believe there was a detailed, objective analysis done on an F12 on either the M6 side or 6 series side, but with the internal geometry, material, and system layout differences between the convertible and the 4 door Gran Coupe, the settings just didn't seem to carry over well IMO.

I would like to see what everyone has going for their settings at the moment and what works well. For the longest time I swore by studio mode as it delivered fantastic clarity and crisp low end bass and better imaging than expanded mode, but then one day I was in the passenger seat of my car with someone else driving and I found that studio mode sounded far less appealing.

Since then, I've been playing around with expanded configurations for when I have other people in the car as well so that they can enjoy the system as well, but I haven't settled on a combination of settings that I've been pleased with. My major complaint is how expanded mode sounds much more distant and seems to lose some overall definition compared to studio mode.

I do prefer to feel a good punch in the low-mid bass but I find that once I dial that in to a good place, the really low end of the bass frequencies start to feel muddy and bloated. Likewise for when I try to tune for better natural vocal isolation or clarity at the top end. I feel like I get that to a good spot, but then I run into issues with treble peaking and it almost sounds too bright.

In the settings below you'll notice that I have the bass and treble settings 100% of the way up -- I could be wrong in thinking about this but I did this so that when I am adjusting the EQ, that I am working with the full 'range' of bass and treble frequencies that the system can produce. If I'm off on this logic, definitely let me know

Bottom line, whether you're working with studio mode or expanded mode, let's see what you've got going so I can try some new things. I'm no sound engineer (as I'm sure those who are real audiophiles might be able to tell based on my settings) but hopefully others can provide some guidance.

*I know hardware changes can be done to provide better quality of sound but I'm not looking to go down that rabbit hole

10-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Hoping some audiophiles chime in as I am struggling to find a good balance with mine as well.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
I screenshot these from an earlier post on here from an audiofile.
Attached Images

10-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine775 View Post
I screenshot these from an earlier post on here from an audiofile.
These were done on an M6 convertible, and actually is the thread I am referring to in my original post. I'm looking for settings that other F06 Gran Coupe owners are using. I may go back to these as a starting point though and see if some minor tweaks can be made to produce a good result. Some F06 owners did report that they loved the settings provided in that thread but to my admittedly untrained ears it left something to be desired.

It's funny how in that thread I'm the first to reply, basically dismissing the kind of thread I just started lol -- patchesj , what do we need to do to get a hold of a B&O equipped Gran Coupe for you to run an analysis with your instrumentation?

Last edited by LJohnson32; 10-15-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Following!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:17 AM   #6
rcrs2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M, 2014 M6 GC comp

I’m on the fence too. I like studio crispness but expanded just sounds like you’re putting all the 14 speakers to good use
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:47 AM   #7
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

following
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

So naturally I had to play with this on the way in to office. Expanded, treble to max, bass a little under 3/4 for me. Sounds deep but with the vocals… anything else didn't sound right
Appreciate 0