BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Warranty Voting

Ok all,

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm buying a 2015 650i gc with 76k miles on it. Doesn't appear to be any real repairs and maintenance has been kept up. Fully loaded with the Amaro Brown/Opal White interior. Got it for 25k, which I think was a good price.

The real question now is do I buy an extended warranty or not. Honestly, they all seem sketchy so I'm worried about getting things covered even if something does break. Not to mention wasting money when nothing breaks. That being said something like the engine going scares me to death. A grand or two repair fine, but something like 15k would be rough.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with aftermarket companies the like/dislike. Im leaning towards the warranty right now but have no clue who to pick. I seem to like carchex so far. Price is pretty good and I'm badmouthing the other companies no one seems to say anything about them.

I appreciate the help and excited to be a part of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Take some more pics of that interior. There is not another like that on here. That price sounds like a steal.

As for a warranty, I think I probably said earlier that I don't ever buy them on anything. As far as I can recall that policy have never cost me a penny. I view it as a cumulative savings. If something fails on my current car, I have all the savings from every other car and TV and washing machine to spend on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Take some more pics of that interior. There is not another like that on here. That price sounds like a steal.

As for a warranty, I think I probably said earlier that I don't ever buy them on anything. As far as I can recall that policy have never cost me a penny. I view it as a cumulative savings. If something fails on my current car, I have all the savings from every other car and TV and washing machine to spend on it.
Yeah it's a private party sale so no fees either. I'm making 6k on selling my X4M Competition so actually I'm really paying 19k. Attached are just a few photos I took. I'm excited to give the leather a good clean and do some refinishing on it. It doesn't look great but I think it's just not been attended to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
iamvanja167.00
      10-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #4
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

I usually do not believe in pre-paying into something that eventually may or may not happen.

Having said that, V8 would make me extremely nervous. If I had a 650/M6 i would absolutely go for extra warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
I usually do not believe in pre-paying into something that eventually may or may not happen.

Having said that, V8 would make me extremely nervous. If I had a 650/M6 i would absolutely go for extra warranty.
Yeah, I guess the real question is how often are there massive repairs like 3k and up? Everyone goes to the internet's when there is issues but no one posts, "just letting everyone know my engine is running". I guess what is my real exposure is the real question. Right now I think carchex is leader for the warranty if I go that route if anyone has used them and has thoughts
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

I paid $4000 for 3yr warranty on my 2013 650 vert and used $3500 of it before trading it this summer. I got an Allstate policy that my local BMW dealer sold. At least having the BMW dealer selling the policy I felt a little more comfort rather than just some internet 3rd party policy. And the horror stories of the V8 engine made me do it.

That being said would I do it again, probably not, just roll the dice. I have probably purchased extended policies on 4-5 cars over the last 15yr, only used about 30% of the value. No more
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
I paid $4000 for 3yr warranty on my 2013 650 vert and used $3500 of it before trading it this summer. I got an Allstate policy that my local BMW dealer sold. At least having the BMW dealer selling the policy I felt a little more comfort rather than just some internet 3rd party policy. And the horror stories of the V8 engine made me do it.

That being said would I do it again, probably not, just roll the dice. I have probably purchased extended policies on 4-5 cars over the last 15yr, only used about 30% of the value. No more
Unfortunately my car is far enough out of warranty that I have to go pure third party. When they ask who else I am quoting carchex is the only one I get "they're ok" from. They trash whoever else I mention
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliartis View Post
Yeah, I guess the real question is how often are there massive repairs like 3k and up? Everyone goes to the internet's when there is issues but no one posts, "just letting everyone know my engine is running". I guess what is my real exposure is the real question. Right now I think carchex is leader for the warranty if I go that route if anyone has used them and has thoughts
The answer to your question is "not very often." This is a fairly active forum as forums in this price range go. Now that these cars with the N63TU are getting to be up to 7 years old the forum is still not filled with people asking about engine repairs. It's filled with people asking about tuning and different exhausts and wheels and spoilers. Those posts are the equivalent of people saying "just letting everyone know my engine is running." Most people who talk about V8 reliability don't own one. Insurers are eager to sell you a policy because they also know the odds are in their favor.

I don't think the engine or transmission are what you should be worried about. However, a $100,000 car bought for $25,000 is still a $100,000 car when it comes to the day to day cost of ownership. If you don't DIY, oil changes are over $100, dealers will want over $600 to change your spark plugs and $150 to put in an air filter. Tires cost more, brakes cost more, etc. If you drive in town much you can almost literally watch your gas gauge moving. These cars can cost a lot own but not because the engine fails.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Going through the exact same thing with my 2014 i just bought. I have had many extended warranties in the past when i bought new cars and definitely didnt get the value out of them before i traded them in and the time i did need to use it, Jeep/Mopar, they basically told me they were not going to honor the warranty and i can just sue them... and it was a Mopar factory warranty that i extended to 120k miles and yes, it was toward the end of that, 110k, but none the less, still within the coverage period and a covered repair per the contract.
So a long winded way of saying i love the piece of mind, but my gut tells me to forgo it this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
The answer to your question is "not very often." This is a fairly active forum as forums in this price range go. Now that these cars with the N63TU are getting to be up to 7 years old the forum is still not filled with people asking about engine repairs. It's filled with people asking about tuning and different exhausts and wheels and spoilers. Those posts are the equivalent of people saying "just letting everyone know my engine is running." Most people who talk about V8 reliability don't own one. Insurers are eager to sell you a policy because they also know the odds are in their favor.

I don't think the engine or transmission are what you should be worried about. However, a $100,000 car bought for $25,000 is still a $100,000 car when it comes to the day to day cost of ownership. If you don't DIY, oil changes are over $100, dealers will want over $600 to change your spark plugs and $150 to put in an air filter. Tires cost more, brakes cost more, etc. If you drive in town much you can almost literally watch your gas gauge moving. These cars can cost a lot own but not because the engine fails.
I've taken into account all of the costs and also found a great independent shop here to help with on going maintenance. I put a placeholder in my monthly budget for those items. I just think it's the massive repairs that scare me. I do feel good also that there doesn't appear to be anything "fixed" on the car really so that could be good or bad depending how you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

I purchased a 3rd party warranty with my 2013 650i. I figured with a vehicle that any repair can run north of 3k, a 100k mile 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for $3,300 was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I purchased a 3rd party warranty with my 2013 650i. I figured with a vehicle that any repair can run north of 3k, a 100k mile 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for $3,300 was worth it.
Who did you use for it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Convertible

I purchased a 3rd party warranty through the independent dealer when I bought my car. So far, I have used it twice with no hiccups. It is Liberty Shield, but I think it is only available through dealers.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post

Fair points.
For the real exposure, maybe try getting an extra warranty quote for a 640 vs 650 to get an idea about how much of a factor is a v8 to those companies?
Talk to a mechanic that you trust?
Ultimately everyone's comfort level is different.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who did you use for it?
The company is Veritas. I have not needed it yet so i cant say wirh certainty how good ir is, but i could not find any negative reviews, so i am hopeful. 😁
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Wow…amaro brown & opal white interior! That was one of the color combos used to promote the introduction of the GC back in 2012. What is your exterior color…looks like it might be Space Gray? The images below is Individual Amaro Brown/Opal White (non ventilated seats) from back then. Yours has perforated leather seats whereas these aren’t perforated.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #17
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Wow…amaro brown & opal white interior! That was one of the color combos used to promote the introduction of the GC back in 2012. What is your exterior color…looks like it might be Space Gray?
Exterior is silver. So I think the interior works being that the exterior is pretty plain
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update…welcome to the 6 forums.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:49 AM   #19
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

I'm like you...$2k or $3k I can handle, but potential $15k repairs are what scare me. That being said I had a 550 with the N63 in the past, and the Carmax warranty saved my butt on some issues. On my current 650i, I was able to get Mechanical Breakdown Insurance from my insurance company, Mercury. You can also check with Allstate, Geico, and some other insurance companies. At least you know the insurance companies are reputable and will be around. Those other 3rd party warranties scare me.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #20
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

After BMW not honoring the original 50K mile Warranty I have no trust in purchasing a Warranty from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #21
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok all,

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm buying a 2015 650i gc with 76k miles on it. Doesn't appear to be any real repairs and maintenance has been kept up. Fully loaded with the Amaro Brown/Opal White interior. Got it for 25k, which I think was a good price.

The real question now is do I buy an extended warranty or not. Honestly, they all seem sketchy so I'm worried about getting things covered even if something does break. Not to mention wasting money when nothing breaks. That being said something like the engine going scares me to death. A grand or two repair fine, but something like 15k would be rough.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with aftermarket companies the like/dislike. Im leaning towards the warranty right now but have no clue who to pick. I seem to like carchex so far. Price is pretty good and I'm badmouthing the other companies no one seems to say anything about them.

I appreciate the help and excited to be a part of the forum!
I did not find a clear answer here, but let me tell you this.
Me personally is against these warranties as I believe they try to cheat on you every time and have a lot of exceptions that typically happen and it really helps on some occasional problems that a well prepared customer probably will never experience.

A few questions here. You have to inspect you call very well and then decide if it is in a good shape.
1. Mileage.
2. Oil consumption.
3. Smoke.
4. Leaks.
5. All rubber lines and connectors and environment under the hood.
6. If you have a good shop and it is possible to inspect injectors and cylinders it is a great way to go.
7. Visual inspection of arms and other parts there.
8. Drive and feel transmission.
9. Previous services.

With that you can decide if you really can expect a stroke a day after. You know, in 99% cases a significant problem does not come from the scratch from nowhere. There are symptoms, might not be on the surface but they are there.

So, once you check your car you can decide. IF the answer everything is ok, put that record into your notepad.

Then next, is that N63TU? I believe so. Should not be TU2. For TU engines there is an extended warranty for HPFP, injectors and some lines. Me personally used it recently for HPFP. There you are covered by BMW. Put that record into your notepad next to the first one.

Now, lets assess you wealthiness. If you are ok to spend $3-4k than take it and pay. Otherwise, let's think how big is your fear here, is it bigger then records 1 and 2 together?

And final one, you can put $200-300 every month to savings for instance when it will be needed for some repair.

Put it all together and decide.

I did decide to go with records 1-2. Mine had 49k mi in early June I paid $30.5k. Several dealers told me the car is clean and good. 2014. Now it has 58k and I drive it daily. It is 650i bm3 st193 already. I put 2600 mi within first 3 days driving it from north CA to TX.
During this time I had one dead injector and HPFP.
Appreciate 0