BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Down Pipes / Tune / Plugs ????

I just installed down pipes and the questions I have are....

1. Can I run down pipes alone? I know I will get a check engine light from O2.

2. Can I run down pipes and BM3 tune alone or do I need gapped spark plugs?

So, like I said I have installed my downpipes today, The plugs I have are wrong ones so I need to order a new set. Im sure it will take about a week to get them so id like to put the car back together to drive and just break it down again once the plugs come in (really wanted to just do it all in one shot). I also have BM3 tune ready to run but have not tuned the car yet because I was hoping to get plugs in also.

So... are there any issue with running just pipes vs. pipes and tune vs ideally pipes tune and plugs?
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Every car is different. Some drive without tune, DP and cel on. Others with tune, DP and stock plugs and others do it all "as recommended". Most people find out if they need spark plugs after some hard pulls. Also depends on how aggressive the tune is. I went with replacing my spark plugs with 2 step colder and gapped to 20" and haven't had a hiccup. Also ran a stage one with stock plugs and never had a hiccup either.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
Maxwell4321
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6

I have full Akrapovic with catless DPs without tune, I used spacers for the secondary O2 sensors and have no CEL. No problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
M6GCMM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
I have full Akrapovic with catless DPs without tune, I used spacers for the secondary O2 sensors and have no CEL. No problems at all.
Just bought an Akrapovic titanium exhaust and have ER downpipes sitting in the garage. Just like your setup, I plan on installing them w/o the tune.
Question, what did you have to do to not get a CEL? Was spacers the solution? Also, is the smell really bad with Catless dp?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6GCMM View Post
Just bought an Akrapovic titanium exhaust and have ER downpipes sitting in the garage. Just like your setup, I plan on installing them w/o the tune.
Question, what did you have to do to not get a CEL? Was spacers the solution? Also, is the smell really bad with Catless dp?
I ran my car with AMS catless downpipes and Full Meistershaft GTC for 6 months no tune and it ran fine,It will feel a little sluggish for the first tank or so but there will be a power increase,I drove around with the CEL light on as I knew what it was from and didn't bother me but you may have to use spacer to rid of the light for inspection ,you put the spacers on the secondary O2 sensors the lower ones the top ones don't get any.
I now have a tune and the tuner tuned out the check engine light installed new factory plugs gapped at .20 its running great

For the gas smell sometimes its strong depending the way the wind blows at a standstill, you won't smell anything when your moving, it doesnt bother because I guess im used to the smell from,motorcycles,quads,jet skis, boats other cars without cats over the years ,never payed attention to it
Appreciate 1
M6GCMM16.00
      07-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Slimm2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13

I just installed RK downpipes on mine about 2 weeks ago without a tune yet.. I replaces the spark plugs also with oem plugs. So far so good, the crazy thing is im not sure if they’re gapped or not. But the beast is running fine so far. The smell isn’t anything dramatic and I have a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #7
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

My setup is with gutted oem downpipes, can those who are running with o2 spacers and no tune give some insight on brand and size needed to make cel not turn on? Would be nice to know so come inspection time I don't need to revert back to stock other than uploading stock flash to dme.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Well, as of right now put about 20miles on the downpipes, car sounds great. After about 10 miles the cell showed up. Ill install my tune here today or tomorrow as time allows.

Ill prob do gapped plugs later on when I get time or replace my intake.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

gapped plugs aren't required immediately if you don't hammer it.. I drove around Catless w/o a tune for about 2,000 miles before getting a DME Stage 2 tune then drove for about 500 miles before gapping my plugs. (They said I could use the same plugs since I swapped them out maybe 500 miles before the tune...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberbic View Post
gapped plugs aren't required immediately if you don't hammer it.. I drove around Catless w/o a tune for about 2,000 miles before getting a DME Stage 2 tune then drove for about 500 miles before gapping my plugs. (They said I could use the same plugs since I swapped them out maybe 500 miles before the tune...
yeah, im not hammering it at all. I drive like an old man. I like to have the power but hardly ever use it. This whole downward spiral all came from just wanting more turbo sound.... hence the down pipes... then wanted to get rid of cell... hence the tune.... and why not add more power with the tune since its already there.... ugh.... hahahaa
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
yeah, im not hammering it at all. I drive like an old man. I like to have the power but hardly ever use it. This whole downward spiral all came from just wanting more turbo sound.... hence the down pipes... then wanted to get rid of cell... hence the tune.... and why not add more power with the tune since its already there.... ugh.... hahahaa
That's why I sold mine... I just kept putting more and more money into it lol

Next up will be clutches to handle the power... That's where I drew the line lol
Appreciate 0