BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-05-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
gjohnsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Xdrive

Ceramic brake pads

After warping several sets with oem rotors on different BMWs I decidet to install ceramic brake pads and a new set of rotors.

So far so good. Brake feels and brakes exactly the same as oem (as far as I can tell) with almost no brake dust. The wear on the rotors are now without deep grooves, just a layer layer of ceramic deposit.

Time will tell if they survive salty road and harsh driving condition. Rust is the main reason for rotor change in Norway. We don't brake enough in the winter

Strange thing, the front rotors fell right off after loosening the rotor screw. In the rear they were almost welded stuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I haven't noticed the warping that you have (maybe due to harsher climate?), but I have replaced my pads to a carbon/ceramic blend. Seems to be fine and far less brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
gjohnsen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I haven't noticed the warping that you have (maybe due to harsher climate?), but I have replaced my pads to a carbon/ceramic blend. Seems to be fine and far less brake dust.
Changing OEM brakes are a 2500$ job at BMW in Norway. I drive on salted roads for 6 months a year. On every BMW i have owned i have warped the brakes. Except on my 2002tii 1975 model Which was my first car. I guess that cold climate is a major factor that causes warped brakes.

I hope ceramic pads will make a difference this time. I cross my fingers. And its a hell of a DIY job, when every screw is rusted tight. I used 4 hours changing the brakes front and rear on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
Changing OEM brakes are a 2500$ job at BMW in Norway. I drive on salted roads for 6 months a year. On every BMW i have owned i have warped the brakes. Except on my 2002tii 1975 model Which was my first car. I guess that cold climate is a major factor that causes warped brakes.

I hope ceramic pads will make a difference this time. I cross my fingers. And its a hell of a DIY job, when every screw is rusted tight. I used 4 hours changing the brakes front and rear on my car.
$2500 USD? That is quite high!

In the Chicago area, I can get all the rotors and pads for about $500. I can find independent shops to do the labor for about $250. The dealer is about $1500 total (twice the price for everything). I am guessing that there aren't a ton of BMW dealerships or options in Norway, thus causing the inflated price? Or is the monetary conversion the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
gjohnsen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
$2500 USD? That is quite high!

In the Chicago area, I can get all the rotors and pads for about $500. I can find independent shops to do the labor for about $250. The dealer is about $1500 total (twice the price for everything). I am guessing that there aren't a ton of BMW dealerships or options in Norway, thus causing the inflated price? Or is the monetary conversion the issue?
Yes, the $ is very high against the NOK at the moment, and prices for labor are also high. Lots of BMW dealers around, but they charge exactly the same price. Have sometimes taken my cars to Sweden for repairs. Much cheaper.

The OEM brake parts are horrendous expensive for the F06, even in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Mine are warped (shake during high speed heavy braking)
I'll need to do this.

Was the install difficult?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
gjohnsen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
I'll need to do this.

Its not difficult. But time consuming. Just follow online instructions and have all the tools ready before you begin. You also have an electric handbrake which has to be taken into consideration. Very easy job if you have done brake jobs before.

Check you have everything in hand before you begin. 18mm socket and 9mm umbraco are typical tools you don't have in your toolbox.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      07-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
SpooldYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 XI Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
I'll need to do this.

Its not difficult. But time consuming. Just follow online instructions and have all the tools ready before you begin. You also have an electric handbrake which has to be taken into consideration. Very easy job if you have done brake jobs before.

Check you have everything in hand before you begin. 18mm socket and 9mm umbraco are typical tools you don't have in your toolbox.
I might attempt this myself also, do you have a list or links ?
Appreciate 0