BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Also, you won't have the touch function just doing this swap correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #24
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Also, you won't have the touch function just doing this swap correct?
Not from swapping the screen alone. Although I do have it as I swapped out the new controller , added the touch ECU and coded it in so it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derboy View Post
Not from swapping the screen alone. Although I do have it as I swapped out the new controller , added the touch ECU and coded it in so it is possible.
ok, as I suspected, you need the new head unit with the ECU to get touch functions.

So what do you think? Is touch worth it? I've had a few loaner cars from the dealership that had the touch controller. Aside from zooming in and out of the map (which I still think is easier turning the wheel), and writing characters to look up phonebook (which I still think is easier just toggling with steering wheel buttons), what else is new and awesome with touch function?
      11-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #26
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ok, as I suspected, you need the new head unit with the ECU to get touch functions.

So what do you think? Is touch worth it? I've had a few loaner cars from the dealership that had the touch controller. Aside from zooming in and out of the map (which I still think is easier turning the wheel), and writing characters to look up phonebook (which I still think is easier just toggling with steering wheel buttons), what else is new and awesome with touch function?
If you have an older car with CIC then you need a new head unit. If you already have NBT like me then you do not.

Not much to gained from touch other than what you've already quoted above but as it was only about £60 for the additional ECU and wiring I thought I might as well do it for completeness.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #27
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If you have an older car with CIC then you need a new head unit. If you already have NBT like me then you do not.

Not much to gained from touch other than what you've already quoted above but as it was only about £60 for the additional ECU and wiring I thought I might as well do it for completeness.

So I would still need a ECU and wiring if I already have NBT? Can you post the part numbers?
      11-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #28
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So I would still need a ECU and wiring if I already have NBT? Can you post the part numbers?
I’m not sure if we’re getting crossed wires here. What exactly do you want to achieve?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #29
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Touch function is frankly a waste of time, you have to have the dexterity and accuracy of a wasp to be able to use it, voice command is far more intuitive in my view.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure if we’re getting crossed wires here. What exactly do you want to achieve?
haha, I think we've been confusing each other.

I just want to confirm:

1. Whether my 2014 M6 (yet to be delivered) has NBT - as of today looking at the navigation screen and comparing it against my CIC screen, it appears so

2. Whether simply adding the NBT touch controller will add touch function without coding - it appears to be "no".

2a. If no, then what else do I need to add the touch function?

3. whether touch is really worth it for the cost of retrofit - my initial take is: "likely no".
      11-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #31
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
haha, I think we've been confusing each other.

I just want to confirm:

1. Whether my 2014 M6 (yet to be delivered) has NBT - as of today looking at the navigation screen and comparing it against my CIC screen, it appears so

2. Whether simply adding the NBT touch controller will add touch function without coding - it appears to be "no".

2a. If no, then what else do I need to add the touch function?

3. whether touch is really worth it for the cost of retrofit - my initial take is: "likely no".

1. Mine is a 2014 and has NBT so I’m guessing yours will.
2. No. Coding is required. The iDrive needs to know that touch is enabled so needs to be coded to show the touch options in settings and in the text entry screens.
2a. IDrive Touch controller + Touch ECU + wiring harness (very simply harness that splices the existing cables between touch ECU and controller). These parts are readily available on eBay if you search for them.

3. Upgrading the iDrive controller for looks alone is worth it in my opinion and after that it doesn’t cost much to add touch. I disagree with previous comments regards usability as I find it pretty good but have to agree that I don’t use it often. In my view changing the screen to the newer OLED version is a much better value upgrade and requires no coding either.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
1. Mine is a 2014 and has NBT so I’m guessing yours will.
2. No. Coding is required. The iDrive needs to know that touch is enabled so needs to be coded to show the touch options in settings and in the text entry screens.
2a. IDrive Touch controller + Touch ECU + wiring harness (very simply harness that splices the existing cables between touch ECU and controller). These parts are readily available on eBay if you search for them.

3. Upgrading the iDrive controller for looks alone is worth it in my opinion and after that it doesn’t cost much to add touch. I disagree with previous comments regards usability as I find it pretty good but have to agree that I don’t use it often. In my view changing the screen to the newer OLED version is a much better value upgrade and requires no coding either.

Hope that helps
This is a very useful discussion for me. On question 2a, can you confirm you don't need a new center console and that a touch idrive controller will fit into the CIC controller's slot?

Also on #3, so if I simply upgrade the OLED screen and the plastic housing that you discussed earlier in the thread, is there any coding needed? Or it's just plug and play?

Does the image gets stretched? I'm afraid it's akin to watching TV/movies designed for 480p 4:3 aspect ratio on a 1080p 16:9 aspect ratio.
      11-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #33
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is a very useful discussion for me. On question 2a, can you confirm you don't need a new center console and that a touch idrive controller will fit into the CIC controller's slot?

Also on #3, so if I simply upgrade the OLED screen and the plastic housing that you discussed earlier in the thread, is there any coding needed? Or it's just plug and play?

Does the image gets stretched? I'm afraid it's akin to watching TV/movies designed for 480p 4:3 aspect ratio on a 1080p 16:9 aspect ratio.

New iDrive controller fits into the existing slot. No new centre console required.

OLED screen is plug and play. No coding required. Aspect ratio is unchanged. Looks exactly the same except a much brighter and punchier image and a more modern style of screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #34
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
New iDrive controller fits into the existing slot. No new centre console required.

OLED screen is plug and play. No coding required. Aspect ratio is unchanged. Looks exactly the same except a much brighter and punchier image and a more modern style of screen.
thanks..but ehh...not sure I'm willing to spend hundreds on a minor screen update without going through and getting the full touch functionality.

I think I'll wait until the 6er goes out of production and a few used sets (that's not from Europe) come on to the market.
      11-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #35
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
thanks..but ehh...not sure I'm willing to spend hundreds on a minor screen update without going through and getting the full touch functionality.

I think I'll wait until the 6er goes out of production and a few used sets (that's not from Europe) come on to the market.
Lol. I’m not trying to sell the idea to you. Do what you like! FYI I got a used screen for £200. Touch controller was £110 and touch ecu and harness was £75. All from eBay. I rarely use touch and many who have it will tell you the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
KauvSTi
Rep
Drives: M6, M8 Comp, S63, 720S, F8

Any cic guys in here doing this upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #37
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Since you also swapped out the idrive controller, do you have any step by steps on how to take the center console off?

I'm going to try to swap that ash tray for a cupholder
      12-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #38
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Since you also swapped out the idrive controller, do you have any step by steps on how to take the center console off?

I'm going to try to swap that ash tray for a cupholder
I used this: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081541
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #39
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks! Since I'm doing the ashtray, I'm now thinking of swapping the idrive controller to the NBT touch version as they're only $150 online. I'm going to think about do the full EVO retrofit later, but do you know if the controller itself will be fully functional on the original NBT software with no coding?
      12-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #40
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

No. There’s coding required to enable the setting of touch functionality in the iDrive menus. You end up with a new entry for “Touch” in the iDrive Settings menu.

I looked at retrofitting Evo but was told that all connected drive functionality would be forfeited.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #41
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No. There’s coding required to enable the setting of touch functionality in the iDrive menus. You end up with a new entry for “Touch” in the iDrive Settings menu.

I looked at retrofitting Evo but was told that all connected drive functionality would be forfeited.
Sorry, I meant if I don't need touch function, but just use a touch controller, will it still work, absent the touch features, without coding?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #42
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I meant if I don't need touch function, but just use a touch controller, will it still work, absent the touch features, without coding?
Yes. Straight swap and works out of the box.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #43
Duff Ace
Adam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Lusso, GT3, 360, Vaquish, bike

Garage List
This thread is interesting.

My car was built Sep 2013...so I assume I have the old screen. I definitely have the old I drive controller.

I can't seem to find a screen online for a price even remotely close to what you said earlier.

Also, can someone post a link to the new controller
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Ace View Post
This thread is interesting.

My car was built Sep 2013...so I assume I have the old screen. I definitely have the old I drive controller.

I can't seem to find a screen online for a price even remotely close to what you said earlier.

Also, can someone post a link to the new controller
Contact BPM Motorsport or bimmertech, nothing on their website, but they'll customize a set for you. Or they might have piece it together and they'll sell you the harness and coding.