Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt100 View Post
Huh?! 135i/is is a much better version of M235i
(TO didn't mention anything about older or newer cars )
I agree that the predecessor of 2-series coupe was a better car. I personally owned 128i with Sport Package, so can attest to that. That car was the last true BMW, and as such was clearly better engineered:
1) it had fog lights (lacking in the 2-series)
2) its turn signals were placed behind the front wheels for better visibility, and to add some character
3) it had automatic disk-brake cleaning when rain was first detected after pulling from a driveway
4) there was a special easy-access button on the steering wheel to turn on internal air circulation (useful when stuck behind smelly diesels)
5) it had AC dual-zones sync button
6) it had many more possible air-circulation options possible for the AC system, useful for finetuning
7) its cupholder was better designed because it could accommodate varying-size cups (2-series can only hold the big gulp it seems which hints at this car's predominant buyers)
8) its radio had a proper glass faceplate, instead of cheap plexiglass found in the 2-series
9) it had much better interior plastics, competing with Audi (but admittedly hard to keep clean and not durable at all, unlike the 2-series with its "elephant hide" plastics)
10) and last but not least it had a larger rear-seat accomodations, which literally shrink with each new 2-series generation
I am sure there is more, that's just off the top of my head. It is really unfortunate that BMWs since then either dumbed-down, or eliminated most of those systems, in order to cut costs, and compete with the likes of Camry not on superior engineering, but on amount of mediocre equipment they can stuff. And with each new BMW generation this downhill slide only gets worse.

Last edited by Wheelwright; 03-22-2022 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

So I know everyone missed this... but Audi S3.

That is a direct competitor for an M235i... it doesn't have the sweet 6 nor the RWD handling dynamics but it's still a solid car if you are looking for a different experience.
      01-17-2022, 08:05 AM   #25
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
So I know everyone missed this... but Audi S3.

That is a direct competitor for an M235i... it doesn't have the sweet 6 nor the RWD handling dynamics but it's still a solid car if you are looking for a different experience.
I test drove one and was not that impressed, it had nicer interior and looked great but the performance was lacking. Ended up buying this heap: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1891649
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #26
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think BMW has done its customer a major DISSERVICE by making and selling the front wheel drive based 235 as if it is part of the standard rwd 2 series. The real 2 series is superb; IMHO the 235 is mediocre.

But if you are going to do comparisons, you need to look front wheel based all wheel drive cars.

I see you are in Florida so all wheel drive on a sedan is not essential. If you can live with 2 doors, the real 2 series is great. If not, take a look at the Audi A3 and its variants.
Appreciate 0