BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
dennisd
New Member
United_States
12
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2009 535i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Anyone thinking about moving from M6 to M8?

I was at the dealer yesterday and saw the 2020 M8, it was even the competition model, they now put a badge in it. It just didn't call out to me. Something about the lines and the interior. I know they have to update and the M6 was a long run but I think I would move to an M5 instead of the M8. The only thing I like about the M8 over the M5 is that there are just SO many 5 series out on the roads. I like having something a little unique. That's why I really liked my Z4M, I think I only saw one other during the 3 years I had that car.

So, are any of you thinking about the M8?
__________________
2016 M6 convertable, driver's assist, executive
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
mikerx5
First Lieutenant
mikerx5's Avatar
93
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2014 F06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Providence, RI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisd View Post
I was at the dealer yesterday and saw the 2020 M8, it was even the competition model, they now put a badge in it. It just didn't call out to me. Something about the lines and the interior. I know they have to update and the M6 was a long run but I think I would move to an M5 instead of the M8. The only thing I like about the M8 over the M5 is that there are just SO many 5 series out on the roads. I like having something a little unique. That's why I really liked my Z4M, I think I only saw one other during the 3 years I had that car.

So, are any of you thinking about the M8?
I am BUT in roughly 5 years - this 6 just looks to good!
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Bmwtechgeek
Private First Class
77
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Bmw m5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa

iTrader: (0)

I'd rather have my M6. Looks way better to me.
Appreciate 4
mikerx592.50
jjasonSU102.00
foma11.50

      01-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
mberbic's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (0)

I know KauvSTi just made the jump
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
roofyroo
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC (CP)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Just doesn't make sense. It kind of looks like a wanna b M6 to me lol. I sat in it and wasn't impressed at all. I agree with Mikerx5...maybe in 5 years lol
Appreciate 1
foma11.50

      01-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
mikerx5
First Lieutenant
mikerx5's Avatar
93
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2014 F06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Providence, RI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofyroo View Post
Just doesn't make sense. It kind of looks like a wanna b M6 to me lol. I sat in it and wasn't impressed at all. I agree with Mikerx5...maybe in 5 years lol
It is the M6, if they kept it - just slapped an 8 on it
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
HeyKC
Private
United_States
27
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: BMW M6 CP
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: KCMO

iTrader: (0)

A couple of appealing things to me are the AWD and I believe it has the radar cruise now. I still think the 6 looks great every time I see it. If my current 6 had the AWD and radar cruise it would never even cross my mind.
Appreciate 3
      01-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Bmwtechgeek
Private First Class
77
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Bmw m5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKC View Post
A couple of appealing things to me are the AWD and I believe it has the radar cruise now. I still think the 6 looks great every time I see it. If my current 6 had the AWD and radar cruise it would never even cross my mind.
That and idrive 7 and you have the worlds perfect car!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
RagtagXMASTER
Private First Class
RagtagXMASTER's Avatar
43
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
That and idrive 7 and you have the worlds perfect car!
I agree with that, if someone figures out how to retrofit ID7 into the M6 i think it would be better than the M8. the design of the M6 is just more elegant. the M8 is trying to hard, and doesnt have a lot to offer over the M6. not to mention the price gap on the new M8. for the price of a new M8 i would rather get a used Mclaren.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
quick6
Second Lieutenant
252
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

The M8's seem damned expensive! Staying with my M6.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
Whipple
First Lieutenant
Whipple's Avatar
76
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Me too guys,Im not feeling the 8 series at all,I remember back when the M6 was first in the show room I told myself now thats a sick car I would love to have that I need that in my life but was to pricey at the time, I always loved the lines of the F10 M5 especially a modded one the F90 is growing on me but very slowly Im still like Meh when I see one.
The awd is great for a daily and great for that hole shot to get all the power down but awd is a little boring to drive if you know what I mean,I know there is a RWD mode, but there is something about straight RWD and that dual clutch Its just a great drivers car and makes you respect the power, Im starting not to like all that fancy electronics crap that I always did love and BMW is moving more into that direction.
Another thing is I know of someone had a W213 Merc E63s he had it tuned and something broke in the trans on a hard pull,well it grenaded the whole drive train was gone.Trans,front diff,center diff, rear end ,drive shaft,when something locks up its all connected and with that immediate shock shit just snaps,I know this can be a fluke but the same thing happened on my friends supercharged Tahoe and he had it in RWD mode.
So with the M6 it keeps that BMW M car tradition with a lot less crap to break and we need that in our lives
__________________
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>RK Carbonfiber front mount intakes>
Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Cabon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 3
      01-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #12
m34josh
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Man Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'll probably take a look at them in two years when they have already depreciated 60%
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #13
dennisd
New Member
United_States
12
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2009 535i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

The first time I saw the M6 I told myself I would have one someday. At the time I was driving my '09 M535 with dynamic sport suspension and Dinan tune. Then when I was ready for a new car in late 2013, instead of getting the M6, I traded my '09 for a new, every option '14 M535 and again had the Dinan tune installed. The '14 just never had the soul that the '09 had. With only about 20K miles, I traded the 535 for a Z4M and of course had, you guessed it, the Dinan tune. That Z4 was a blast but I missed the feeling of having a grand tourer so in came the M6. Like I said previously, I like not seeing my car everytime I turn around like when I had the 5 series and of course getting a full M car.

Like a couple of others said, maybe a couple of more years the M8 will grow on me. But that wasn't necessary with the M6, it grabbed me at first sight.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU102.00

      01-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
dennisd
New Member
United_States
12
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2009 535i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
That and idrive 7 and you have the worlds perfect car!
Then I'd have to learn a new system. Seriously, having had 3 BMW cars before the M6, it is pretty easy for me to operate although I admit I haven't played with the 7 operating system yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
Blaxwil
Private First Class
97
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

A lot of similarities with $100K difference.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #16
dennisd
New Member
United_States
12
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2009 535i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I knew that M8 roofline reminded me of something.

On another note, I don't think I'd want the new Z4 either. It would really piss me off to be sitting at a light in a new Z4 when someone pulled up next to me in yota supra.

What the heck is happening to BMW??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #17
MelbourneFinn
Private First Class
Australia
55
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
M8 Coupe looks ok, but GC just a bit strange... M6 GC is timeless design, and the only real improvement is AWD. Radar cruise is worthless imo, have had it in a few cars and every time I used it I was hoping I could turn the radar part off. And the real show stopper is the fully digital instrument panel/display!

With that said, the M6 will stay for quite some time, the only new uber sedan - or estate - that makes me excited is the new RS6 Avant... Sad to admit, but even RS Q8 and Urus seem to be more interesting than the M8 GC - that something unheard of from a SUV hater (me)...
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2020, 05:01 AM   #18
JBF650
Private First Class
Australia
54
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
M8 Coupe looks ok, but GC just a bit strange... M6 GC is timeless design, and the only real improvement is AWD. Radar cruise is worthless imo, have had it in a few cars and every time I used it I was hoping I could turn the radar part off. And the real show stopper is the fully digital instrument panel/display!

With that said, the M6 will stay for quite some time, the only new uber sedan - or estate - that makes me excited is the new RS6 Avant... Sad to admit, but even RS Q8 and Urus seem to be more interesting than the M8 GC - that something unheard of from a SUV hater (me)...
Mate, you can disable the radar cruise. Hold either the increase or decrease button down for a second or so and a message will say radar cruise deactivated. I too dislike radar cruise in my 650, itís annoying in Australia as none of us really drive consistently and the varying of speed of the numpties infront drives me crazy.... hence I deactivate my radar when I use cruise.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:54 AM   #19
Taheemr
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
181
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mids

iTrader: (0)

I cant get my head around the gran coupe over the 6 series variant, the coupe is growing on me by the hour.

I have promised myself never to purchase new again, plan is to get a 18month old m8 coupe.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
MMMM6GC
Enlisted Member
23
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Had some fun on a snowy morning speccing out a new M8GC

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...hg8yfb/summary



MSRP $156,050 + Taxes. Is it 4 x the car vs a used M6GC?



To my eyes the 6 looks better proportioned and has a prettier face, though the rear lights on the 8 are beautiful. Also I think to the untrained eye / non-car person, the jump in design from F06 to F9x is nowhere near as significant as the jump from E6x to F06
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #21
MelbourneFinn
Private First Class
Australia
55
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2017 M6 GC
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
Mate, you can disable the radar cruise. Hold either the increase or decrease button down for a second or so and a message will say radar cruise deactivated. I too dislike radar cruise in my 650, itís annoying in Australia as none of us really drive consistently and the varying of speed of the numpties infront drives me crazy.... hence I deactivate my radar when I use cruise.
Gold 👍 better to have cruise without radar = M6 😇
Appreciate 1
JBF65054.00

      01-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #22
Whipple
First Lieutenant
Whipple's Avatar
76
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Gold 👍 better to have cruise without radar = M6 😇
The only radar I need in the M6 is a radar detector
__________________
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>RK Carbonfiber front mount intakes>
Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Cabon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 3
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST