BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #551
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I'm still learning my irrigation system. Rain bird to be exact. Watched some YouTube videos on how to make adjustments. Didn't know there's an arch adjustment that can be made
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #552
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i just revamped my sprinkler system and got my rachio going. i got a $10 coupon from home depot and a $70 rebate from my water service, so my net cost ended up being $40- a no brainer! very easy to setup an operate. i love the interface.

my old timer (setup when i bought the house in march, but really old) was set to start watering at 1030pm. we had a problem with mushrooms because the lawn was damp all night. they now go off at 730am and this has been helping. this is not really a problem, except we have a couple of curious german shepherds and if they eat them or ingest the spores, it could be a problem. so now that we are watering at a normal time, the mushrooms have been dissipating. we also try to pick them before they release their spores to reproduce.

for watering- it might be a myth that mid-day watering burns grass. i've been watching videos on this trying to figure out my watering schedule and a "secret" of golf courses in hot climates is to do a few minutes of "relief watering" mid day just to bring soil and surface temps down, so it is less straining on the grass.

i've been watching this guy's vids for a while (i also like his gold panning vids) and he seems to know his stuff.
      06-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #553
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's what my garage looks like. Once my garage cabinets come in I won't have that problem. Just ordered a bag of CarbonX. Shows it's out for delivery today. Yard work is no joke lol! I will report that the fungus is now gone and the grass is growing pretty good. Suppose to get some rain this week
I have cabinets in my garage...well...on my precious Moupe's side but they're full of misc stuff (battery tender, car detail stuff, etc...) and the tall cabinet has spare stock of car fluids and asst'd lawn care stuffs. I just have the extra fert bags in my basement in some totes.

Last weekend, in the front and side yards, I put down the Green Yard fert I got from a local nursery. At about .6lbs of N/1000sq ft, it came in at just under 1 bag. Not too shabby to be able to cover 12500sq ft for $30. It's a mix of Milo, Mesa, and some other macro/micro stuffs. Lawn was quite happy in the 1 week since I mowed it. That's the last feeding until fall.

After the Green Yard, I put down a mix of RGS and Bifenthrin (4oz and 1oz/1k sq ft, respectively). I like how I can tell the boundary of where I left off w/ applying fert+ammendments vs not.....well....at least I can tell but maybe that's 'cause I know where the line should be. lol

Went to put down about 0.6lbs N using Carbon-X in the backyard today but the spreader isn't too efficient at <3lbs/1000sq ft so it put down a little more....somewhere btwn .6-.7lbs. I ended up using the remnants that I had from the earlier Hyrbrix and Green Yard applications so that worked out in the end. All are slow release but maybe about 20% won't get the RGS out of the Carbon-X. Oh well.

Also put down Sevin Insect Killer in that back after I was done w/ fert. That sh*t was hard to see going down so I overlapped too much. As a result, the back ~20% of the yard didn't get any. Not a huge deal. I'll probably just put down some Bifenthrin later. The good thing is that I just beat the rain that was heading in so I didn't have to water it all in myself and deal w/ moving sprinklers around. hard rain at first but slowed to a steady rain for a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by bosstones; 06-30-2019 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      07-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #554
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
roastbeef11571.50
      07-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #555
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

very nice color. those are some happy plants.
      07-02-2019, 04:25 AM   #556
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
very nice color. those are some happy plants.
must be the fertilizer I added this year since i'm still learning about gardening. used Menard's IDEAL 12-12-12. I used this in all the flower beds
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      07-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #557
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Yard mowed and edged. Flowers are coming in nicely as well in the front.

Appreciate 3
P111541.50
bosstones1144.00
      07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #558
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The night blooming jasmine are putting out a FURY of wonderfulness right now!! I put the plant right next to our bedroom slider, and have been leaving just the screen closed at night.

Wife would prefer some variation of chemical Fabreeze
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #559
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The night blooming jasmine are putting out a FURY of wonderfulness right now!! I put the plant right next to our bedroom slider, and have been leaving just the screen closed at night.

Bro, I bet that smells fricken' amazing!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #560
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

Women and their shenanigans.
I love the smell of Jasmine, basil and citronella at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #561
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Grass clippings. Bag or leave?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #562
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Feed to chickens. Periodically scrape top layer of coop into mulch bin. Spread that around garden. Eat watermelons
      07-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #563
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mulch mine. All that nitrogen from the fertilizer you put down goes right back into the soil when you mulch
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #564
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mulch but depends on:
1. how tall your grass is vs cut length
2. if the grass is diseased (fungus/mold)

For the former, is the grass is much taller than normal (e.g. fert applied and lots of rain preventing mowing for a while), I take multiple passes starting tall and cutting shorter. Even still, the general rule of thumb is to not but more than 1/3 of the height of the grass.

My response is also indicative of me being too cheap to purchase the bag attachment for my lawn tractor.
      07-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #565
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

25 gallon, mounted sprayer. It was a little more costly than a tow-behind sprayers but I think it'll be worth it due since better maneuverability (and storage aspect). I shouldn't need more than a single, partial fill up to get the entire front/back/side yards (assuming 1 gallon per 1,000sq ft). Perfect since I have a sh*t ton of weeds in the backyard and wanted to put down some Dimension in the front/sides for crabgrass control.
Attached Images

07-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #566
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
My response is also indicative of me being too cheap to purchase the bag attachment for my lawn tractor.
Same here....they want $400+ for a 3 bin bagging system. I have yet needed to bag except when dethatching. But I'll use my lawn sweeper when I do that.

Quote:
25 gallon, mounted sprayer..
Let see a picture of it mounted
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #567
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Any tips from any of you experts here on how to have a small patch of sod take and get green? I've always done our other grass from seed and really don't know what to expect.

We removed the 2x2 bluestones for a different look yesterday in a part of one of our garden areas and I'd like it to look good.

Thank you!
Attached Images

07-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #568
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have always watered pretty well for a couple of weeks. Just don't forget to cut it back to normal after that. That approach has always worked for me although I'm sure there is a a better / optimal method out there somewhere.
wrickem2101.00
      07-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #569
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Any tips from any of you experts here on how to have a small patch of sod take and get green? I've always done our other grass from seed and really don't know what to expect.

We removed the 2x2 bluestones for a different look yesterday in a part of one of our garden areas and I'd like it to look good.

Thank you!
Pretty much what Rick said. Keep the sod watered. That'll do 2 things:

1. help the sod establish/re-root to it's new location
2. help prevent sod shrinkage

You could put a a low rate fert w/ phosphorous or something else to help encourage root growth, but it's isn't required. Plus, you wouldn't want to push the grass w/ much nitrogen since the roots aren't established.

Scuffing the dirt before putting the sod down (or putting down compost or topsoil) would also help, I think, but I think you're past that. Just keep the sod watered and you'll be fine.
      07-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #570
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Same here....they want $400+ for a 3 bin bagging system. I have yet needed to bag except when dethatching. But I'll use my lawn sweeper when I do that.

Let see a picture of it mounted
That's a bargain compared to Deere's 2 bin system since you have to buy the chute separately.

Mixed about 2.7oz of Q4+ per gallon and put 6oz of Signal blue dye and went about spraying the backyard. I was going to target 3oz/gal but I ran out of Q4+. I guess I drove too fast since i had more left over than expected so I started making perpindicular passes until I ran out of mix. Couldn't really see the blue dye on the lawn but, then again, I intentionally used less since I wasn't sure how blue it'd mark the lawn.

The tank also sagged down from the adjustment level I put it at. It's due to the weight of the tank when filled. I can probably just put some extra bolts/nuts to fill up the space in the adjustment slot for it. I also bent one of the arms going up the back easement... I bent it back and stopped driving up the easement. Made parallel runs on it instead.

I reeeeeaaaaallllllly hope I put a good application down. The weed growth is absolutely insane in my backyard right now. I think a lot came from that soil/compost mix I tossed around when i did a spring seeding.
Attached Images

07-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #571
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Thank you both RickFLM4 and bosstones, I'm keeping it watered really well (everything I've read about sod says in the first 14 days it's almost impossible to over water) and staying off of it, but really appreciate your other suggestions. I'm trying to not be impatient for it to be green like the other grass areas
RickFLM410876.00
bosstones1144.00
      07-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #572
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a bargain compared to Deere's 2 bin system since you have to buy the chute separately.
Wow! that looks pretty sweet! how is attached to the back? can this be a universal fitment? i'm wondering if I can do this to mine?
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00