BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #639
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Ugh! Looks like I'll need to dethatch and remove the old dead grass from the fungus earlier. I could mow super low and try to let the lawn recover but I'll risk the lawn browning up because of the summer heat stress

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #640
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Is that Bermuda?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #641
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Tall type fescue
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #642
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Been wanting to do this since we moved in two years ago. Took out all the overgrown bushes along the back fence and ground the stumps. Had a nice PVC fence installed along the right side and back replacing the chain link, then got 9 yards of top soil to level out the ground where the bushes were.

Come September when it's a bit cooler I'll plant some arborvitaes along the back and the other plan is to add a raised paver patio with a fire pit in the corner behind the swing set. Shit seems like it's taking forever but it's finally coming along.
Attached Images

07-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #643
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Been wanting to do this since we moved in two years ago. Took out all the overgrown bushes along the back fence and ground the stumps. Had a nice PVC fence installed along the right side and back replacing the chain link, then got 9 yards of top soil to level out the ground where the bushes were.

Come September when it's a bit cooler I'll plant some arborvitaes along the back and the other plan is to add a raised paver patio with a fire pit in the corner behind the swing set. Shit seems like it's taking forever but it's finally coming along.
That turned out really nice. What a big difference and I know how much work that took and I appreciate that! Keep up the great work!
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #644
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That turned out really nice. What a big difference and I know how much work that took and I appreciate that! Keep up the great work!
Thanks man. Yeah it’s been a tremendous amount of work since I moved in but it will all be worth it once it’s finished. Hauling the dirt in this 95 degree weather was pretty brutal I gotta say lol
      07-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #645
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Thanks man. Yeah it’s been a tremendous amount of work since I moved in but it will all be worth it once it’s finished. Hauling the dirt in this 95 degree weather was pretty brutal I gotta say lol
wish we can have a shed out back but our HOA prohibits that. sucks to keep all my lawn equipment in the garage
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #646
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Off work today so I decided that it was time to dethatch the yard. First time using this tow behind 42" Brinly Dethatcher I picked up last year. Assembly was pretty easy. Only took me 30 minutes

After a few passes

And here's my AgriFab 52" Lawn Sweeper. Love this thing! Very useful in the Fall time to pick up all the leaves. This is also great to use to pick up all the thatch vs raking it up by hand especially with a 1/2 acre. It literally took me and my boys last year from morning till the evening to do what we did this afternoon in about 1.5 hours. After everything was done I had about 10 bags of thatch. That just shows how important it is to dethatch your lawn. Helps let the lawn breath and allow water, fertilizer and nutrients to feed the grass as well as amend the soil

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #647
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

loving my Hydrangeas

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #648
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Off work today so I decided that it was time to dethatch the yard. First time using this tow behind 42" Brinly Dethatcher I picked up last year. Assembly was pretty easy. Only took me 30 minutes

After a few passes

And here's my AgriFab 52" Lawn Sweeper. Love this thing! Very useful in the Fall time to pick up all the leaves. This is also great to use to pick up all the thatch vs raking it up by hand especially with a 1/2 acre. It literally took me and my boys last year from morning till the evening to do what we did this afternoon in about 1.5 hours. After everything was done I had about 10 bags of thatch. That just shows how important it is to dethatch your lawn. Helps let the lawn breath and allow water, fertilizer and nutrients to feed the grass as well as amend the soil

Great post. How do you know when it's time to thatch? I have done just a little area (5x5') in my back yard in the past and got a good amount of 'thatch' and I did it with just a rake.

I'm thinking I need to do my yard because the grass is a little thin in spots. When I do a "pull test", some grass comes up as well. The 'thin' sports aren't real noticeable from more than 3-4' away, but if you get down on your knee and part the grass with your hands, you can tell it's quite thin in certain areas. It almost seems like water and nutrients may not be soaking down to the root as well as it should be and just kind of stagnating on top of the soil thus the reason some grass pulls out when I do a pull test.

Almost indicating the roots could be shallow or something. Need all those nutrients to get down deep!!!

This is my first season more involved with the yard so I have a lot to learn, but have already learned quite a bit from this thread and the lawn care nut and other videos on YouTube.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #649
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Great post. How do you know when it's time to thatch? I have done just a little area (5x5') in my back yard in the past and got a good amount of 'thatch' and I did it with just a rake.

I'm thinking I need to do my yard because the grass is a little thin in spots. When I do a "pull test", some grass comes up as well. The 'thin' sports aren't real noticeable from more than 3-4' away, but if you get down on your knee and part the grass with your hands, you can tell it's quite thin in certain areas. It almost seems like water and nutrients may not be soaking down to the root as well as it should be and just kind of stagnating on top of the soil thus the reason some grass pulls out when I do a pull test.

Almost indicating the roots could be shallow or something. Need all those nutrients to get down deep!!!

This is my first season more involved with the yard so I have a lot to learn, but have already learned quite a bit from this thread and the lawn care nut and other videos on YouTube.
I learned from the lawn gurus of YouTube. for dethatching usually it's at the beginning of Spring to get all the dead grass up. and than in the fall time just before you reseed if you plan on reseeding. I dethatched because I had lawn fungus and a lot of the dead grass was just sitting here. so the dethatcher helped pull most of it out.

if you're pulling up a patch of grass and it's actually coming up it could be quite a few things. one it could be grubs are eating your roots. is the grass brown? also, it could be the roots are very shallow and not deep enough to hold. I use RGS to stimulate root growth. since Fall is upon us I would think about doing a dethatch, aerate and an overseeding since you're saying your lawn looks a bit thin. i'm looking to do this at the beginning of September.

This year is pretty much done if you ask me as far as trying to develop a deeper root system. I would suggest doing this next year. look into the NEXT products particularly RGS and HUMIC12. that's going to help amend your soil and promote Root development

Allyn the Lawn Care Nut has already put out a couple of videos on overseeding since it's coming up
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #650
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I learned from the lawn gurus of YouTube. for dethatching usually it's at the beginning of Spring to get all the dead grass up. and than in the fall time just before you reseed if you plan on reseeding. I dethatched because I had lawn fungus and a lot of the dead grass was just sitting here. so the dethatcher helped pull most of it out.

if you're pulling up a patch of grass and it's actually coming up it could be quite a few things. one it could be grubs are eating your roots. is the grass brown? also, it could be the roots are very shallow and not deep enough to hold. I use RGS to stimulate root growth. since Fall is upon us I would think about doing a dethatch, aerate and an overseeding since you're saying your lawn looks a bit thin. i'm looking to do this at the beginning of September.

This year is pretty much done if you ask me as far as trying to develop a deeper root system. I would suggest doing this next year. look into the NEXT products particularly RGS and HUMIC12. that's going to help amend your soil and promote Root development

Allyn the Lawn Care Nut has already put out a couple of videos on overseeding since it's coming up
The grass is quite green. It's Bermuda. And to be honest, I had never done a 'pull test' before so I'm not exactly sure what is normal and abnormal. Not all of the grass will pull out and it won't leave a bare spot or anything like that. But if I picked 5 random spots for the test, I'd say 3 out of the 5 spots I'd pull out just some grass (maybe 25-30% will come out from what I pulled). However, I'm not pulling very hard at all. I'm going to do a catch cup test to see how my sprinklers are performing and if they need to be adjusted. I feel like sometimes the water in certain areas from the sprinkler just stands on top of the soil so that could be the issue in this specific areas where the grass is slightly thinner than the rest of the yard. The root system could be going back up towards the top of the soil (where the stagnate water is) instead of penetrating down deep and then would be harder to pull out during a pull test? Maybe I need to aerate the yard too.

Granted, I've never seeded my lawn or overseeeded (whichever is the correct term) and that was my first thought as to why it's a little thin in areas. Should you be seeding your lawn every year? For perspective, we bought the house about 5 years ago (new house and new sod) and haven't ever seeded it. Maybe the reason for some thinness in certain areas is because I've never seeded in 5-6 years and just expected it would remain thick with the proper mowing, water, etc.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 08-15-2019 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #651
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The grass is quite green. It's Bermuda. And to be honest, I had never done a 'pull test' before so I'm not exactly sure what is normal and abnormal. Not all of the grass will pull out and it won't leave a bare spot or anything like that. But if I picked 5 random spots for the test, I'd say 3 out of the 5 spots I'd pull out just some grass (maybe 25-30% will come out from what I pulled). However, I'm not pulling very hard at all. I'm going to do a catch cup test to see how my sprinklers are performing and if they need to be adjusted. I feel like sometimes the water in certain areas from the sprinkler just stands on top of the soil so that could be the issue in this specific areas where the grass is slightly thinner than the rest of the yard. The root system could be going back up towards the top of the soil (where the stagnate water is) instead of penetrating down deep and then would be harder to pull out during a pull test? Maybe I need to aerate the yard too.

Granted, I've never seeded my lawn or overseeeded (whichever is the correct term) and that was my first thought as to why it's a little thin in areas. Should you be seeding your lawn every year? For perspective, we bought the house about 5 years ago (new house and new sod) and haven't ever seeded it. Maybe the reason for some thinness in certain areas is because I've never seeded in 5-6 years and just expected it would remain thick with the proper mowing, water, etc.
Pull test could be subjective. If it's not brown but green and some of it pulls up it could just be shallow roots or you're the Incredible Hulk lol! I would aerate just to let your lawn breathe. Dethatch would help too in case you've never done it for five years. Do the tuna can method for the sprinkler test. Remember 1" of water per week. I usually keep an eye on the weather to determine if I need to run my sprinklers. Usually 3 days apart or four. Like I said earlier I would look into soil amendments as next years project.

Usually with overseeding people will do that just to get the lawn to thicken up for next year before the lawn goes into winter dormancy. If your lawn is thin now I highly recommend doing it at the beginning of September. You need almost 45 days for the lawn to establish itself after germination is complete. Plus I saw that you can't really mow for about a month after seeding. So a complete dethatch, than aerate, than overseed and starter fertilizer. You have Bermuda so I believe that type of grass spreads so you might be good not to overseed. It's your call. My lawn is thick and thin so I haven't overseed for 3 years. This year I will overseed because I have Turf Type Tall Fescue so the variety I have doesn't spread as much
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #652
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pull test could be subjective. If it's not brown but green and some of it pulls up it could just be shallow roots or you're the Incredible Hulk lol! I would aerate just to let your lawn breathe. Dethatch would help too in case you've never done it for five years. Do the tuna can method for the sprinkler test. Remember 1" of water per week. I usually keep an eye on the weather to determine if I need to run my sprinklers. Usually 3 days apart or four. Like I said earlier I would look into soil amendments as next years project.

Usually with overseeding people will do that just to get the lawn to thicken up for next year before the lawn goes into winter dormancy. If your lawn is thin now I highly recommend doing it at the beginning of September. You need almost 45 days for the lawn to establish itself after germination is complete. Plus I saw that you can't really mow for about a month after seeding. So a complete dethatch, than aerate, than overseed and starter fertilizer. You have Bermuda so I believe that type of grass spreads so you might be good not to overseed. It's your call. My lawn is thick and thin so I haven't overseed for 3 years. This year I will overseed because I have Turf Type Tall Fescue so the variety I have doesn't spread as much
So much good info. Thank you!

I'm going to do the tuna can test this weekend because I think my watering could need some tweaking. Thinking shallow-ish root system. Also going to send in a soil sample to Oklahoma State University (apparently you can send them soil samples and then in 2-3 weeks they'll return hand written recommendations to improve the soil).

Here in Oklahoma, we have A LOT of clay (part of the reason why we don't have basements here) which will contribute (good and bad) to soil conditions, watering amount, etc. so soil test will be cool to see and beneficial. Want to also aerate and dethatch as well. So much to do!

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #653
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So much good info. Thank you!

I'm going to do the tuna can test this weekend because I think my watering could need some tweaking. Thinking shallow-ish root system. Also going to send in a soil sample to Oklahoma State University (apparently you can send them soil samples and then in 2-3 weeks they'll return hand written recommendations to improve the soil).

Here in Oklahoma, we have A LOT of clay (part of the reason why we don't have basements here) which will contribute (good and bad) to soil conditions, watering amount, etc. so soil test will be cool to see and beneficial. Want to also aerate and dethatch as well. So much to do!
I have yet done a soil sample test lol! I know I should do it. Maybe next year. Here in OH we have clay too! But I will say my soil is alot better now than when I first moved in. I've been treating it for the last 2 years and it shows especially when I aerate. I can see what the soil looks like.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #654
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lime tree is doing well.
Attached Images

08-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #655
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Got Stripes?

Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #656
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

After a few passes
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Hey that looks like a husky fast tractor. I have one as well. Are you having any issues with the fwd and reverse pedal? Mine has gotten to the point of sticking when I change direction. I need to push in the brake to go from fwd to reverse and did not have to when I first purchased. Not a lot I have found online regarding the issue. Curious if you have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #657
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
Hey that looks like a husky fast tractor. I have one as well. Are you having any issues with the fwd and reverse pedal? Mine has gotten to the point of sticking when I change direction. I need to push in the brake to go from fwd to reverse and did not have to when I first purchased. Not a lot I have found online regarding the issue. Curious if you have any thoughts?
Mine's a Husqvarna. But I've seen videos if the issue you're experiencing. If it's the same issue this guy actually had to trim down something that was getting the way from going into reverse. The newer Husqvarnas have fixed that issue
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #658
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

it's that time of the year to overseed!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:48 AM   #659
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

what a Weekend! i'm sun burned and I must've burned some crazie amount of calories. Anyways, before overseeding I had to cut the grass down to about 2.5"...bagged it all up using the lawn sweeper. probably about 13 full bags. than I went back to detach the yard so that way the seed would have better seed to soil contact. this was all done on Saturday. On Sunday I had the yard aerated to open things up. did at least a good 4 passes in each direction. with all that done it was time to overseed. 3lbs per 1,000 sqft of Pete's GCI Turf Type Tall Fescue 50lb bag. Also picked up a couple of bags of starter fertilizer from Menards. from what I gather I shouldn't be doing any type of mowing for at least month until the seeds have gotten some good rooting to hold onto. i'll post some pictures as they do
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #660
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

had to get a picture of this Nikko Blue which isn't blue but pink lol!
Appreciate 1