BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Cold Air intake question

Has anybody used the AFE Cold Air Intake Momentum Pro 5R fits BMW 12-16 M5 (F10)/M6 (F12/13)? Any feedback on power and ease of installation appreciated. Any issues?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Not worth it when people dyno up to 800whp on the stock air boxes. If you don't want to run a front mounted CAI like RK carbon then remove the carbon filters, get a pair of BMC filters for the stock air boxes and close up the holes on the bottom of the air boxes. You'll be sucking in air only from outside and it won't change the noise level much. Between that option and the AFE there is no performance difference that you are going to hear or feel.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

IMO, the CAI are inferior designs to the air boxes like Dinan or even stock. The factory system was designed to shorten the distance of the air flow to the turbos, a CAI increases the distance and blocks about 40% of the radiator cooling surface:

Lastly, the intake will add virtually no power by itself. You'll want to pair with a tune, and the tune itself will be what bumps the power up, not the intake.

Summary: stick to stock (remove charcoal filters or add an aftermarket drop in) or buy the Dinan box which is essentially a glorified air scoop with elements of the CAI through the snorkel.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-27-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree except for Dinan, I have never seen an M5/6 dyno over 700whp on the Dinan intake. Also the benefit of the cold air front mount intake is that you are only sucking in cooler air from outside of the engine bay and you get an amazing sound. The stock intake can be sealed to only suck in air from outside, and with scoops attached, and performance filters you can push over 700whp with supporting mods so it comes down to preference because you can do the same with the cold air intake and there have been no issues like raised engine temps so you go with what works for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I agree except for Dinan, I have never seen an M5/6 dyno over 700whp on the Dinan intake. Also the benefit of the cold air front mount intake is that you are only sucking in cooler air from outside of the engine bay and you get an amazing sound. The stock intake can be sealed to only suck in air from outside, and with scoops attached, and performance filters you can push over 700whp with supporting mods so it comes down to preference because you can do the same with the cold air intake and there have been no issues like raised engine temps so you go with what works for you.
Interesting. I've been thinking about the Dinan or Eventuri and a tune, but I have night vision on my car. So there's some question about whether the Eventuri, or any other CAI that mounts behind the grille, would work effectively or fit because of the front facing camera. Seems the most sensible solution would be a design such as the Dinan since it doesn't mount behind the grille. But it sound like you're saying the Dinan isn't effective. Can you please elaborate more?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Interesting. I've been thinking about the Dinan or Eventuri and a tune, but I have night vision on my car. So there's some question about whether the Eventuri, or any other CAI that mounts behind the grille, would work effectively or fit because of the front facing camera. Seems the most sensible solution would be a design such as the Dinan since it doesn't mount behind the grille. But it sound like you're saying the Dinan isn't effective. Can you please elaborate more?
If someone has made over 800whp on the stock intake boxes with a couple mods to them like removing the charcoal filters, adding BMC performance filters, and sealing the boxes from engine bay hot air then the money spent on the Dinan intake would be for under the hood looks only as it does not change the sound much since it's sealed and you're not going to gain anything from it. At least with a cold air front mounted intake you get an amazing sound, otherwise it's also not making you significant power over the modified stock intake boxes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
If someone has made over 800whp on the stock intake boxes with a couple mods to them like removing the charcoal filters, adding BMC performance filters, and sealing the boxes from engine bay hot air...
So,for the dimwits like me who are hesitant to start mucking about under the hood, is there some sort of DIY guide for what to do and how to modify the stock system?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:19 AM   #9
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
So,for the dimwits like me who are hesitant to start mucking about under the hood, is there some sort of DIY guide for what to do and how to modify the stock system?
Go through this post.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801214

You have to open up your air boxes and that is very straight forward, if you can't do that just bring it to a local shop that knows BMW's and they can do it for you for cheap. Once you take out the filters you'll know if you have block off plates or if they are open at the bottom. then you can either seal them up, I used a piece of sheet metal and some dynamat so I can always remove it. Buy the performance filters first so when you open up the boxes at least you can remove the charcoal filters and the OEM air filters and replace them. You can also get a pair of hood scoops to help feed cold air to the boxes. RPI makes them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
US spec vehicles - Charcoal Filter Delete instructions

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797677

If you happen to find stripped screws like I did (thanks BMW dealership), the part # is 13717545438 (Fillister head screw)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...68#13717545438
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just removed the charcoal filters and have the M performance Titanium akrapovic exhaust on my M6, what should I expect in terms of performance and exhaust sound? How much more restrictive are the OEM filters than the BMC performance filters?
By the way, when I removed the yellow filter underneath was a "snorkel" and not an opening that I could cover, just FYI.
Thanks again for the pointers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
I just removed the charcoal filters and have the M performance Titanium akrapovic exhaust on my M6, what should I expect in terms of performance and exhaust sound? How much more restrictive are the OEM filters than the BMC performance filters?
By the way, when I removed the yellow filter underneath was a "snorkel" and not an opening that I could cover, just FYI.
Thanks again for the pointers
Sound - amazing. The Akrapovic is one of the best out there. Consider keeping the flaps open via this mod:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444547

Power gain - virtually none.
      01-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you, anybody has feedback on the BMC filters? Is it worth doing? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #14
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
Thank you, anybody has feedback on the BMC filters? Is it worth doing? Thanks
They flow more air than the OEM filters, so yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did some search at the M5 forum and it appears that there are MAF issues with the filter oils and there is no confirmed improvements over the OEM filter (feedback on the OEM filter is positive) anybody has had MAF issues after installing the BMC air filter? Just doing some homework before installing.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I say skip intake. The best bang for the buck work be a tune. Most tunes improve HP throughout the entire rev range
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
TurbzM6
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
Go through this post.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801214

Once you take out the filters you'll know if you have block off plates or if they are open at the bottom. then you can either seal them up
How does blocking off the holes at the bottom of the old air boxes help? That blocks of the source of the outside air, leaving my BMS intakes to suck air from inside the engine bay?
My intake air is around 50 odd degree Celsius in my climate, drawing from the engine bay, primarily. If I were to go for a stage 2 tune, I have been advised I’ll need reduce the charge temp, and the intakes being moved would be the best way to get cooler air going in.

And to those saying not to bother with an intake, wtf? An intake and exhaust will get your car breathing much easier for when you do get a tune. I’m getting a Stage 1 done shortly, and that should give me. 680hp, or over 500kw if that’s your thing, and 850nm of torque.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0