BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

New Clutch installed on my F13 M6 *pic heavy*

Hi Guys,

After multiple track days and pushing over 680hp/680tq my clutch was TOAST! The clutch started to clunk going into reverse and 1st. The clutch couldn't hold the power I was making and started to slip in every single gear. Even after changing the tune back to stock the clutch was still slipping.

I found South Side Performance, owned by Kris, who sold upgraded clutch packages. Andym3100k posted saying he upgraded his clutch too, so I made the call and talked to Kris for an hour trying to decide what to do. We ended up upgrading everything he had for the transmission. We changed the output basket to billet baskets, changed out the bearings in the pump to bronze bearings, changed out the old filter to a steel filter, and upgraded the clutch that can hold more than 900 ft/lbs of torque!

After 1.5 days of taking out the transmission and putting it back in, the car runs as it should. No more clunking and smooth as butter going into gears. I'm currently breaking in the clutch before tracking it at Auto Club in Fontana for Bimmerfest.

I want to thank Kris @ SSP for helping me through out this whole process. He answered my calls and gave me A LOT of support. Awesome company and a great person to deal with!

If anyone has questions feel free to contact me anytime.

*UPDATE* I broke in the clutch 500 miles Wednesday night. I was able to get on it and WOW the power is holding and it's SOLID! I'm excited to go to the track this saturday! Will post updates as the days go by.

Transmission

Flywheel

1/3/5/7 Clutch with OEM Basket (you can see the burnt marks on the plates)

1/3/5/7 Clutch plate damaged

1/3/5/7 Clutch plate burned

1/3/5/7 Clutch

1/3/5/7 Clutch BURNT to a crisp LOL

2/4/6 Clutch not as bad as the odd gears

NEW CLUTCH w/ Billet Baskets

New pump with Bronze Bearings

New Billet Baskets/Clutch/Lifetime Filter

Last edited by joe@trinityautosport; 05-22-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 535i

Very cool, thanks for the pics! Have never actually bothered to look at the DCT clutch packs before, very interesting to see this. Heard DCT-type clutches once described as "motorcycle-like" and that's exactly as it seems...just bigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveraged Sellout View Post
Very cool, thanks for the pics! Have never actually bothered to look at the DCT clutch packs before, very interesting to see this. Heard DCT-type clutches once described as "motorcycle-like" and that's exactly as it seems...just bigger.

+1 - What he said.

I knew the drivetrain would have to be one of the weak links when upgrading performance on the M's. They already have so much power it's amazing to me that they hold up at all, let alone once you guys doing mods get after the motors. Being an electronic guy and barely understanding engines, I would not know a good transmission and a good clutch setup if it hit me over the head, but I know it is essential to a good running, high power output car. I've heard and read rumors of people working on stuff like this. It is great to finally see something from someone who has actually done it.

Did Kris give you any idea how much power he thought this setup could handle? I am thinking maybe some of his other customers had given him some feedback.

What have you done to get that kind of power out of yours?

So many people do all this great stuff that works really well but it takes some time in service to know how well it really is working. So many of these things sneak up on you - no idea what is going on until something bad happens. Of course, other times there isn't anything to worry about. A lot of it can be your driving style too. From my experience (mostly what some real pros told me when I used to do this stuff) avoid doing anything that causes wheel chatter or wheel hop, or at least do not let the car do very much of that. If it happens, fix what is causing it or do things to minimize that. The drivetrain will last a lot longer.

Thanks so very much for posting this, plus all the pictures . That really helps with understanding these things too. And please keep us updated as you run this. Obviously the stock setup was slipping. I'm wondering if you will see any measurable improvement now that it isn't doing that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveraged Sellout View Post
YUP! It's exactly like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post

+1 - What he said.

I knew the drivetrain would have to be one of the weak links when upgrading performance on the M's. They already have so much power it's amazing to me that they hold up at all, let alone once you guys doing mods get after the motors. Being an electronic guy and barely understanding engines, I would not know a good transmission and a good clutch setup if it hit me over the head, but I know it is essential to a good running, high power output car. I've heard and read rumors of people working on stuff like this. It is great to finally see something from someone who has actually done it.

Did Kris give you any idea how much power he thought this setup could handle? I am thinking maybe some of his other customers had given him some feedback.

What have you done to get that kind of power out of yours?

So many people do all this great stuff that works really well but it takes some time in service to know how well it really is working. So many of these things sneak up on you - no idea what is going on until something bad happens. Of course, other times there isn't anything to worry about. A lot of it can be your driving style too. From my experience (mostly what some real pros told me when I used to do this stuff) avoid doing anything that causes wheel chatter or wheel hop, or at least do not let the car do very much of that. If it happens, fix what is causing it or do things to minimize that. The drivetrain will last a lot longer.

Thanks so very much for posting this, plus all the pictures . That really helps with understanding these things too. And please keep us updated as you run this. Obviously the stock setup was slipping. I'm wondering if you will see any measurable improvement now that it isn't doing that anymore.
Kris told me it can handle 900+ tq crank. I'm breaking in the clutch...I have about 200 miles to go. I track the car on a road course at least once a month so I do abuse the crap out of it. I'm heading to the track this saturday and will let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Roadrage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Good information thanks for sharing.
      05-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Did you ever use the launch control as well before replacing the clutch ?
Also how many miles did you get out of the factory clutch ?
Great write up and pictures.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
Good information thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Did you ever use the launch control as well before replacing the clutch ?
Also how many miles did you get out of the factory clutch ?
I used it maybe 5x since I've owned the car. I got 20k out of the clutch...well I bought the car with 13k miles and put 7k hard miles on it and it went out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you ever use the launch control as well before replacing the clutch ? . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@trinityautosport View Post

I used it maybe 5x since I've owned the car. . . .
I still have not tried to use LC on mine. After seeing some posts here about it I looked up the procedure once and thought about trying it. I didn't t the time because i wanted to put some more miles on it - nothing for longevity like breaking it in right and making sure everything has been properly seated. Right now I'd have to check again to be sure how to do it. I think I remember but I've had so much going on and it's been long enough that I'm not absolutely sure how to do it - boy, getting old is sure the pits. When I was young - break in service at 1200 miles, first LC would have happened before 1201. And probably 4 more times before 1202.

To be honest, I kind of wonder what the point is. I've read guys who drag race say that they have trouble getting their tires to hook up, and that's even with larger than stock race tires on the car. I think one guy who is particularly fast in the quarter said he had better launches by feathering the throttle a bit and had stopped using LC. I guess what has kept me was my tires already spin without WOT just trying to get out in traffic. I'd hate to think what they would do if I actually was trying to go really fast. I guess I'll have to try it out to see what it's all about and what I have been missing.

Quote:
. . . Also how many miles did you get out of the factory clutch ? . . .
Quote:

. . .
I used it maybe 5x since I've owned the car. I got 20k out of the clutch...well I bought the car with 13k miles and put 7k hard miles on it and it went out.
Whoa! Just 5 times. Those 7k must have been really hard miles. I don't know what the warranty policy is with second owners but I would have thought a car with only 20k on it would still be under warranty. Did you just want to have a beefier clutch than stock?

Quote:
+1 many times over!!!!!!

Personally I think you ought to get some kind of reward for this post. Definitely one of the best I've read. And I loved all the photos too.
Great job! And thank you again! I can't wait to hear how this works out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

MichaelBlake I do have warranty, but I want to beef up the clutch so I don't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

The clutch performed FLAWLESS! No over heating or slippage. I did 4 session 25mins each and was ALWAYS on it. I'm very impressed!

Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Have you tried launch control since installing this DCT upgrade? Is there any difference? If this setup will handle 900 ft lbs LC ought to be no sweat. Guess I am mostly curious if the tires spin more now than they did with the stock setup, although I guess it might be hard to tell exactly when that clutch started slipping.

Quote:
The clutch performed FLAWLESS! No over heating or slippage. I did 4 session 25mins each and was ALWAYS on it. I'm very impressed! . . .
Great to hear such a good report. Would you please PM me with contact info for SSP or who I can get these pieces from? One additional request for the PM - I'm also curious whose aero pieces you are using and how much you think they help. In addition to your subjective feel for it I would be particularly interested in any quantitative info (logging data if you have tried monitoring this). It looks like a Vorsteiner front lip and rear spoiler but when zoomed far enough to see them either my monitor is kind of distorting the images or they are just pixelating too much. I wanted to be sure. I am looking to get some right now but want ones that really work well and are not primarily just for cosmetics.

Those are some great shots of your car. Impressive photography of a great looking car! Please forgive me for removing the pics. I just did not want to clutter the thread with more to download than needed and they are right above this post.

All you guys going out having all this fun on the road and straight line tracks is giving me some bad ideas. I know it's what BMWs are built for and especially the M's , but I'm too old for this stuff. That said, it sure is great to have all this incredible feedback when I'm looking for things I want to do to mine and do them right the first time. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post
Have you tried launch control since installing this DCT upgrade? Is there any difference? If this setup will handle 900 ft lbs LC ought to be no sweat. Guess I am mostly curious if the tires spin more now than they did with the stock setup, although I guess it might be hard to tell exactly when that clutch started slipping.

Great to hear such a good report. Would you please PM me with contact info for SSP or who I can get these pieces from? One additional request for the PM - I'm also curious whose aero pieces you are using and how much you think they help. In addition to your subjective feel for it I would be particularly interested in any quantitative info (logging data if you have tried monitoring this). It looks like a Vorsteiner front lip and rear spoiler but when zoomed far enough to see them either my monitor is kind of distorting the images or they are just pixelating too much. I wanted to be sure. I am looking to get some right now but want ones that really work well and are not primarily just for cosmetics.

Those are some great shots of your car. Impressive photography of a great looking car! Please forgive me for removing the pics. I just did not want to clutter the thread with more to download than needed and they are right above this post.

All you guys going out having all this fun on the road and straight line tracks is giving me some bad ideas. I know it's what BMWs are built for and especially the M's , but I'm too old for this stuff. That said, it sure is great to have all this incredible feedback when I'm looking for things I want to do to mine and do them right the first time. Thanks everyone.
For SSP parts you can contact me directly and I can get the parts for you.

For the aero stuff I don't think it really helps. More for cosmetic looks. I need to talk to APR for actual aero pieces.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #14
F82_zoe
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

What year is your m6 I know it's an old post but I hope someone replies
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #15
q94f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: retired: 2015 M6 GC

great write up Joe. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost including labor for the tranny upgrade?

Looking to upgrade mine as well, but want to make sure I am getting a "good" price for the labor/parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #16
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by q94f10 View Post
great write up Joe. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost including labor for the tranny upgrade?

Looking to upgrade mine as well, but want to make sure I am getting a "good" price for the labor/parts.
Thanks! We charge $1200 for labor.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
can you list the exact parts needed for this upgrade (and PM me vendors too! ) Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
can you list the exact parts needed for this upgrade (and PM me vendors too! ) Thanks!!
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:01 PM   #19
F82_zoe
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

I'm interested in knowing parts and labor for my 13 M6 Please PM me please
Appreciate 0