BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #23
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

The back seats do fold on the F06 GC, but don't on the 2 door Coupe. Just inside the boot (trunk) either side there are remote latches.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #24
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
true lol.

I think I am 100% set on the 640i now, thanks everyone.

Next thing is to decide if I want to wait for one in black, the one I'm looking at is silver. Its a good deal and relatively low mileage so I'm not sure if I should jump on it (if it passes PPI) or wait for one in my preferred color.
Color is a big deal to me as well, but also pay attention to options. On a 640 there is a much wider range in the options people bought. Because it was the cheaper car compared to a 650, people often clicked fewer option boxes, but others optioned a 640 to basically be a 650 with a 6 cylinder engine. So, for example, in a 640 you can get the weird standard seats, the better seats but with Dakota leather, or the better seats but with nappa leather like a 650. Many do not even have HUD. The Bang & Olufson stereo is also a nice upgrade. Is there a reason you won't also consider a 650?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #25
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

And in case you do not know, the car came in 5 blacks. Regular black, Black Sapphire (metallic black), Carbon Black (very dark blue), Citrin Black (rare individual color with brown, orange highlights), and Ruby Black (individual color with purple highlights).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #26
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
true lol.

I think I am 100% set on the 640i now, thanks everyone.

Next thing is to decide if I want to wait for one in black, the one I'm looking at is silver. Its a good deal and relatively low mileage so I'm not sure if I should jump on it (if it passes PPI) or wait for one in my preferred color.
Color is a big deal to me as well, but also pay attention to options. On a 640 there is a much wider range in the options people bought. Because it was the cheaper car compared to a 650, people often clicked fewer option boxes, but others optioned a 640 to basically be a 650 with a 6 cylinder engine. So, for example, in a 640 you can get the weird standard seats, the better seats but with Dakota leather, or the better seats but with nappa leather like a 650. Many do not even have HUD. The Bang & Olufson stereo is also a nice upgrade. Is there a reason you won't also consider a 650?
I'm just really hesitant to on the N63, even the N63TU, there's just so many horror stories (on top of the higher fuel consumption) that I would constantly be stressed about the car breaking down.

My most important features are HUD, M Sport (which all seem to have the better seats, I don't need nappa but that would be fine), leather dash (some seem to have a cheaper leather dash), and logic 7 (I think that's standard in the US?). I test drove a car with the B&O and thought it was nice but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'd really like black or dark grey.
      05-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

There are 2 dashes. One is pebbly vinyl. That is standard, even on the 650. The way to tell if a car has that is the SRS letters above the glove box. If they are raised up, then it has that. The better, but artificial, leather dash is smooth, and the SRS letters are pressed in, not raised up.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #28
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
There are 2 dashes. One is pebbly vinyl. That is standard, even on the 650. The way to tell if a car has that is the SRS letters above the glove box. If they are raised up, then it has that. The better, but artificial, leather dash is smooth, and the SRS letters are pressed in, not raised up.
Thanks for the info. From the cars I've seen the leather dash tends to have white stitching as well.

The car I'm looking at seems to be a pretty good deal, definitely looking forward to getting a PPI on it after my car sale goes through.
      05-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #29
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm just really hesitant to on the N63, even the N63TU, there's just so many horror stories (on top of the higher fuel consumption) that I would constantly be stressed about the car breaking down.

My most important features are HUD, M Sport (which all seem to have the better seats, I don't need nappa but that would be fine), leather dash (some seem to have a cheaper leather dash), and logic 7 (I think that's standard in the US?). I test drove a car with the B&O and thought it was nice but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

But there are not "so many" horror stories about the N63TU. Some, but few. No matter what you buy, you are buying a silly car with no logical reason to exist. That's why I like mine. YOLO my friend, YOLO.

As for gray, I have to say that these cars look very elegant in space gray with the ivory interior. Not common, but cool. I used to really like black interiors, but now they just feel dreary to me.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #30
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

But there are not "so many" horror stories about the N63TU. Some, but few. No matter what you buy, you are buying a silly car with no logical reason to exist. That's why I like mine. YOLO my friend, YOLO.

As for gray, I have to say that these cars look very elegant in space gray with the ivory interior. Not common, but cool. I used to really like black interiors, but now they just feel dreary to me.
I mean, isn't it bad enough that they have multiple recalls after lawsuits?
      05-26-2022, 09:34 AM   #31
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Don't be scared of the N63TU! The N63 was a problem.... best to avoid it. N63TUs from MY 2013 had high pressure fuel pump and fuel injector issues occasionally. BMW has a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty extension to cover that issue. Brittle crank case vent hoses are all eligible to be replaced under warranty too. (The only issue I've had). I challenge you to find "so many horror stories" with N63TUs MY 2014 and after. You'll probably have trouble finding more than one... Very reliable in my experience. Folks who over - generalize the N63 issue end up missing out on an amazing engine. Research that to the same depth you've researched the other options you're sweating...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #32
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Getting a PPI on the 640i GC tomorrow. Hopefully all is well because it looks like it's a good deal
      05-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #33
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I've been eyeing getting a 640. But find it hard to justify an almost same car, coming from a F10 535 m pack, with all maintenance stuff sorted. Hate to have to restart on something that looks so familiar inside
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #34
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Partially bias, I … ultimately ended up with the 6 because it felt more solid and luxurious overall. …

A few things i wasnt too happy, but could live with
-the moonroof didnt open, just tilt (didnt know that beforehand)
-back seat/cabinet/trunk is much smaller.
-back seats doesnt fold down to truck (unless i'm not aware of how to)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoz View Post
The back seats do fold on the F06 GC…Just inside the boot (trunk) either side there are remote latches.
Ditto Bluefoz…the rear seats of the 6GC fold down. The instructions are in the physical owners manual as well as the owners manual built into iDrive.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-27-2022 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #35
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Got the results of the PPI, and there are a couple issues that I am worried about...
1.) some sag on the Alcantara headliner. can this likely be glued back? or would it have to be replaced?
2.) the leather dash (one of the main things I like about the car) has some damage. it looks pretty bad, I assume it would have to be replaced.

Edit: now that I'm looking closer at other used 6 series, it looks like almost all of them with the leather dash (that are around 2014 MY) have some sort of bubbling on the dash... common issue?
Attached Images

Last edited by tturbolife; 05-27-2022 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #36
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640i M-Sport GC

Do you have a pic of the headliner?

My first thought on the dash is that the HUD was worked on and the dash wasn't put back together right. Are you seeing the same exact thing on others? My 2014 doesn't have any problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #37
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
Do you have a pic of the headliner?

My first thought on the dash is that the HUD was worked on and the dash wasn't put back together right. Are you seeing the same exact thing on others? My 2014 doesn't have any problems at all.
The headliner sag is near the back. Got a quote from a local shop, $700 for the headliner and $1000 for the dash, which sounds like a great deal.

The wrinkles next to wear it's pulling away definitely make me believe (and the upholstery shop I sent photos to) that the damage was caused due to sun exposure.
      05-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #38
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

2015 here. Leather ish dash is pristine. Up north and garage kept since 2017 when I acquired it... so sun exposure is minimal. I've seen some pics of the dash material "pulling back" due to sun exposure, but we're talking about a quarter of an inch from the windshield edge. The extent of the damage and especially those wrinkles back from the edge are suspicious. Should be smooth like a piece of paper. Seems like the material was pulled back and stayed pulled back for a while. No other explanation for those wrinkles that are set back. Be cautious! Seems like this car has a story... May not be a story you want to be a part of.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 08:48 PM   #39
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
2015 here. Leather ish dash is pristine. Up north and garage kept since 2017 when I acquired it... so sun exposure is minimal. I've seen some pics of the dash material "pulling back" due to sun exposure, but we're talking about a quarter of an inch from the windshield edge. The extent of the damage and especially those wrinkles back from the edge are suspicious. Should be smooth like a piece of paper. Seems like the material was pulled back and stayed pulled back for a while. No other explanation for those wrinkles that are set back. Be cautious! Seems like this car has a story... May not be a story you want to be a part of.
Yeah… you make a good point. I think I might want to just get a better condition 5 series than stretching my budget on a potential nightmare. Worst case I can sell the 5 in a couple years for a new/better condition 640i or even a 650i with a warranty.
      05-29-2022, 09:45 PM   #40
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah… you make a good point. I think I might want to just get a better condition 5 series than stretching my budget on a potential nightmare. Worst case I can sell the 5 in a couple years for a new/better condition 640i or even a 650i with a warranty.
My dash is perfect, and has been outside plenty in a very sunny climate. I have also looked at hundreds for sale and have never seen what you are talking about. I would not change cars just because you got one with odd issues. Look at pics online and see if you see the bubbling in any others.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:12 PM   #41
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I decided I'm just going to hold off for awhile. I still want a 6 series but will wait until I find what I want in my budget.
      06-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #42
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Found a 2016 640i coupe that's relatively close to me. it's loaded with the full leather dash, blind spot monitoring, HUD, etc.

It does have about 61.5k miles. Is this decent for the N55? It's not like I'm going to be sinking my life savings into the car and can't afford maintenance, I'm more worried about the car constantly being in the shop.
      06-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #43
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Found a 2016 640i coupe that's relatively close to me. it's loaded with the full leather dash, blind spot monitoring, HUD, etc.

It does have about 61.5k miles. Is this decent for the N55? It's not like I'm going to be sinking my life savings into the car and can't afford maintenance, I'm more worried about the car constantly being in the shop.
I would get a PPI where they actually put the car on lift as opposed to just looking at it on the ground. I would not be afraid of an N55 at those miles, but they do leak. Make sure the person doing the PPI specifically looks for oil pan gasket leaks and valve cover leaks. The valve cover is not expensive unless the plastic cover itself is cracked, but the oil pan, if it's XDrive, is $2,000+. If it is not xDrive, then it's much cheaper. Also, it is a very heavy car, so suspension bushing maybe starting to fail at those miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #44
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
So essentially, it sounds like those problems are not if they happen, but when they happen? It is not xDrive.