BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-23-2022, 12:46 AM   #1
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

The worst car purchase of all time. 2013 bmw m6

Hello fellow bmw sufferers. I'd like to share my story of my 2013 bmw m6 in efforts to amuse, enlight, and spread some good ole schedenfreud to the community.

Been on the search for a low mileage m6, had to be black with red interior, no questions asked, been on the search for about a year checking for the perfect one til i found "the one"

Name:  Screenshot_20211110-215034.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  100.2 KB

at any given time there are roughly one or two black on red m6 coupes, this one was 5 miles away from me in san diego, surely it must be a sign. surely.

Call the owner, express interest, got the funds ready to buy but playing it slow. A few days later after letting the seller simmer a bit im told by the owner he grenaded the engine on a drive, wont run right, bad sound. sounds like owner blew a rod or something bad.

The biggest fear i had about the s63 platform was rod bearings/ stressed out internals, especially from a tuned car. this guy had pure stage 2 turbos, full carbahn intercooler intake, heavily tuned probably abused to death. I figured hey here is my chance to buy "THE ONE" and do a full rebuild and dispel my biggest fear about the platform! This is it.

With the car being 5 miles down the street, all the options, perfect color. chance to have a rebuilt m6 dream car for what i budgeted to begin with i pulled the trigger for $22,000 cash. let the games begin

Had rk autoworks do a full rebuild , around $15k into it and all in for 37k which was what i was willing to spend to begin with. woooo.
shipping to texas off we go

Name:  20220506_161415.JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  356.0 KB

previous owner spun rod bearings, def needed a rebuild.

Name:  20220103_192714000_iOS.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  238.7 KB

pick up car and saw it went from 67,000 miles mysteriously to 50946 miles. wtf, whered did the odometer miles disapear to!

Rk autoworks said car had trouble starting cold, long crank, replaced the starter soon as getting car back to san diego and starts smooth in the morning now.

Since i wanted a black car i started to peel off the silver vinyl on the car and here come the surprised. looks like previous owner wrecked the car and replaced it with salvage part or wrap shop sanded down front bumper and rear trunk lid so vinyl adhered better. fun stuff .

Name:  20220506_161629.JPG
Views: 2214
Size:  371.0 KB Name:  20220201_105429 (1).JPG
Views: 2184
Size:  190.1 KB

had an indy and bmw of san diego reflash and diagnose the vehicle and none of them have any idea why the hell the odometer went lower. and get this, anytime the battery was unplugged the odometer would reset back to 50946 exactly. no tamper light, counted correctly. wtf.

drove it like this for a month in effort to clear smog monitors to register the damn thing, about 500 miles and then randomly the car started to turn off out of nowhere. as if the battery was being cutoff, yet all electronics were on and battery was new. wtf.

called around to indys and many were lost so figured id have the dealership at least diagnose the car, off to bmw of san diego. charged me 480 for initial diagnosis, came back multiple dme error faults. wanted another 10 hours ! to diagnose the car furhter. wtf. towed the car to bimmer ecu solutions, can get a used dme cloned for less than diagnosis. off we go

bimmer ecu solutions were great start to finish, they got used dmes in there, didnt fix it, then new cas module, didnt fix it. then they replaced the eeprom memory on the cluster and the odometer now doesnt forgot miles when unplugging battery. new dme also cleared all faults and car doesnt turn off when it doesnt feel like working. yay, or so i thought.

they brough to my attention the coolant levels in the car were low. i have changed oil twice since getting the car, checked pan for leaks religiously and all coolant lines when changing and again after hearing this. not a drop. not good. the coolant has to be going somwehere. oh great.

next up go car smogged finally 9 months later in may. about 1800 miles on the car since rebuild and now the next nail in the coffin presented itself.

go to top off coolant as im checking to see if theres any leaks driving the car back from smog that day and noticed something horrible.

Name:  20220522_133140.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  156.5 KB Name:  20220522_133145.JPG
Views: 2107
Size:  127.8 KB

beautiful beautiful sludge in the coolant expansion tank. yay.

not going to turn car on after seeing this. contacted mike at rk autoworks who has been very helpful and professional throughout the original rebuild to see what can be done as they warranty their engine work .

hopefully you guys can feel better about spending 1200 for these cars stupid rotors or next time an oil filter housing gasket pisses itself youll feel better because at least you dont own this POS.

Last edited by jporter396; 05-23-2022 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter396 View Post
Hello fellow bmw sufferers. I'd like to share my story of my 2013 bmw m6 in efforts to amuse, enlight, and spread some good ole schedenfreud to the community.

Been on the search for a low mileage m6, had to be black with red interior, no questions asked, been on the search for about a year checking for the perfect one til i found "the one"

Attachment 2890328

at any given time there are roughly one or two black on red m6 coupes, this one was 5 miles away from me in san diego, surely it must be a sign. surely.

Call the owner, express interest, got the funds ready to buy but playing it slow. A few days later after letting the seller simmer a bit im told by the owner he grenaded the engine on a drive, wont run right, bad sound. sounds like owner blew a rod or something bad.

The biggest fear i had about the s63 platform was rod bearings/ stressed out internals, especially from a tuned car. this guy had pure stage 2 turbos, full carbahn intercooler intake, heavily tuned probably abused to death. I figured hey here is my chance to buy "THE ONE" and do a full rebuild and dispel my biggest fear about the platform! This is it.

With the car being 5 miles down the street, all the options, perfect color. chance to have a rebuilt m6 dream car for what i budgeted to begin with i pulled the trigger for $22,000 cash. let the games begin

Had rk autoworks do a full rebuild , around $15k into it and all in for 37k which was what i was willing to spend to begin with. woooo.

Attachment 2890327

Attachment 2890326

pick up car and saw it went from 67,000 miles mysteriously to 50946 miles. wtf, whered did the odometer miles disapear to!

Rk autoworks said car had trouble starting cold, long crank, replaced the starter soon as getting car back to san diego and starts smooth in the morning now.

Since i wanted a black car i started to peel off the silver vinyl on the car and here come the surprised. looks like previous owner wrecked the car and replaced it with salvage part or wrap shop sanded down front bumper and rear trunk lid so vinyl adhered better. fun stuff .

Attachment 2890329 Attachment 2890333

had an indy and bmw of san diego reflash and diagnose the vehicle and none of them have any idea why the hell the odometer went lower. and get this, anytime the battery was unplugged the odometer would reset back to 50946 exactly. no tamper light, counted correctly. wtf.

drove it like this for a month in effort to clear smog monitors to register the damn thing, about 500 miles and then randomly the car started to turn off out of nowhere. as if the battery was being cutoff, yet all electronics were on and battery was new. wtf.

called around to indys and many were lost so figured id have the dealership at least diagnose the car, off to bmw of san diego. charged me 480 for initial diagnosis, came back multiple dme error faults. wanted another 10 hours ! to diagnose the car furhter. wtf. towed the car to bimmer ecu solutions, can get a used dme cloned for less than diagnosis. off we go

bimmer ecu solutions were great start to finish, they got used dmes in there, didnt fix it, then new cas module, didnt fix it. then they replaced the eeprom memory on the cluster and the odometer now doesnt forgot miles when unplugging battery. new dme also cleared all faults and car doesnt turn off when it doesnt feel like working. yay, or so i thought.

they brough to my attention the coolant levels in the car were low. i have changed oil twice since getting the car, checked pan for leaks religiously and all coolant lines when changing and again after hearing this. not a drop. not good. the coolant has to be going somwehere. oh great.

next up go car smogged finally 9 months later in may. about 1800 miles on the car since rebuild and now the next nail in the coffin presented itself.

go to top off coolant as im checking to see if theres any leaks driving the car back from smog that day and noticed something horrible.

Attachment 2890324 Attachment 2890323

not going to turn car on after seeing this. contacted mike at rk autoworks who has been very helpful and professional throughout the original rebuild to see what can be done as they warranty their engine work .

hopefully you guys can feel better about spending 1200 for these cars stupid rotors or next time an oil filter housing gasket pisses itself youll feel better because at least you dont own this POS.
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. So sorry to hear about all these issues. Sounds like the problems of 10 cars in 1. I am about 2 years in on my RK rebuild and things are going very well. Raza and Mike are good folks and I am sure they'll get ya sorted out properly.

These cars have incredible curb appeal but absolutely can cause some heart ache. Unfortunately, car scams are at an all time high. I do love my car and have thought about buying an M6 convertible with a dead engine as a project car but it's stuff like this that absolutely makes me hesitate on doing so.

Keep us posted in the engine work. Wishing you much success.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I am sorry about your luck my man but buying a M6 with a blown engine is a massive risk to begin with, as it was clearly abused. This only points to other issues down the line like the rear axle which will set you back another $8,000 when and if it goes out as well as the non servicable
transmission at $12,000 (new prices). One more thing I can say is never everrrr buy a car thats wrapped because you dont knos whata another the wrap…
Appreciate 3
      05-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
velomack
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Man, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm impressed you were willing to take on a project like this though. Once you get things squared away, I'm sure you'll feel better about it!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Hey feeling the sorrow for you. My M6 has some paint damage from being keyed likely, so I had to file an insurance claim. My previous e92 M3 was also ran into (nit at fault for me), but it totaled the dam thing. It had an ess sc kit, ohlins r & t coilovers and other mods. I did rebuild it and sold it to a extended fam memeber.

I still service it for him.

So Im thinking hang in there man. The car will be a beast with the pure stage 2 turbos. Hopefully RK will get you sorted. Also, make sure you change the intercooler lines to silicone and use fuel line clamps for them. Just to prevent any other coolant issues from the charge cooler circuit. This being a separate circuit from engine coolant. There is a good DIY in here or m5post.

Also, I suggest downloading ISTA as well. It will help with diagnostics and give some good diagrams for any DIY repairs. I use the carly app on iphone/android for scans on the go.

Please keep us updated. And best luck man!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #6
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Have to share this too. Good luck with repairs. RK should warrant you after doing a rebuild with them. Please keep us posted on the status.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Attachment 2890328

Attachment 2890327

Attachment 2890326

Attachment 2890329 Attachment 2890333

Attachment 2890324 Attachment 2890323

Actually this looks like your expansion tank for intercooler/ charge cooler circuit. Not sure, but if it is they can likely flush it out and clean it.

The engine coolant fill point is a different spot. You have to put a self made dip stick in there and there is a measurement of where the fluid level should be at in mm. I am hoping your engine coolant is okay. That would be alot less work. So make sure you check both fill spots. Coolant should be blue always.

Check this thread below. Its for the N63, but coolant fill is similar to s63tu. For your convenience I have attached a photo of an s63tu. The red circle is engine coolant fill. The blue circle is coolant expansion tank fill for charge coolers. This tank (blue circle) is charge cooler tank and circuit is isolated and separated from the engine coolant circuit (red circle).

Look at the pic and check them both. Use a baster or whatever and check the engine coolant make sure there isnt oil in there. Sorry if Im wrong, the pics you posted do look like its the charge cooler circuit.

Link for N63 coolant top up / flush.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708203
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
jporter396
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. So sorry to hear about all these issues. Sounds like the problems of 10 cars in 1. I am about 2 years in on my RK rebuild and things are going very well. Raza and Mike are good folks and I am sure they'll get ya sorted out properly.

These cars have incredible curb appeal but absolutely can cause some heart ache. Unfortunately, car scams are at an all time high. I do love my car and have thought about buying an M6 convertible with a dead engine as a project car but it's stuff like this that absolutely makes me hesitate on doing so.

Keep us posted in the engine work. Wishing you much success.
thanks man, yes mike and raza have been very standup and responsive throughout my time with the car before and after the rebuild.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
jporter396
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
Actually this looks like your expansion tank for intercooler/ charge cooler circuit. Not sure, but if it is they can likely flush it out and clean it.

The engine coolant fill point is a different spot. You have to put a self made dip stick in there and there is a measurement of where the fluid level should be at in mm. I am hoping your engine coolant is okay. That would be alot less work. So make sure you check both fill spots. Coolant should be blue always.

Check this thread below. Its for the N63, but coolant fill is similar to s63tu. For your convenience I have attached a photo of an s63tu. The red circle is engine coolant fill. The blue circle is coolant expansion tank fill for charge coolers. This tank (blue circle) is charge cooler tank and circuit is isolated and separated from the engine coolant circuit (red circle).

Look at the pic and check them both. Use a baster or whatever and check the engine coolant make sure there isnt oil in there. Sorry if Im wrong, the pics you posted do look like its the charge cooler circuit.

yes you are 100% correct,havent been able to check status of coolant on engine circuit. mike from rk make this apparent to me as well, also stated hes never seen this happen before lol. great.

pretty lost as to what could cause this but car has a date with my local indy on monday ill keep you guys updated on what happens. my best guess is either some sort of turbo leak or the coolant the previous shop topped my tanks off is having a bad reaction with the oem coolant im assuming rk autoworks used.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      05-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #10
jporter396
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaus View Post
I am sorry about your luck my man but buying a M6 with a blown engine is a massive risk to begin with, as it was clearly abused. This only points to other issues down the line like the rear axle which will set you back another $8,000 when and if it goes out as well as the non servicable
transmission at $12,000 (new prices). One more thing I can say is never everrrr buy a car thats wrapped because you dont knos whata another the wrap…
definitely learned some lessons with this one for sure. figured with the engine being the worst possible thing to go id have not much to worry about once taken care of. i couldnt have been more wrong. haha
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      05-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #11
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post

yes you are 100% correct,havent been able to check status of coolant on engine circuit. mike from rk make this apparent to me as well, also stated hes never seen this happen before lol. great.

pretty lost as to what could cause this but car has a date with my local indy on monday ill keep you guys updated on what happens. my best guess is either some sort of turbo leak or the coolant the previous shop topped my tanks off is having a bad reaction with the oem coolant im assuming rk autoworks used.
Im not too sure. Im more of a wknd warrior with diys's than full out mechanic.

Hopefully someone didnt accidentally add oil to the wrong place. This situation is new to me also. Id have it checked over. You can use a small strip of wood with the measurements from the 5post link I posted earlier.

This will atleast show you the engine coolant level and make sure there isnt sludge in there. Your indy should be able to sort it out. Good luck.

Just if its only the charge cooler tank, your looking at pretty fixable situation without much downtime. You can pm me if you have any questions. I have done all fluid flushes on my m6. Coolant was a pain lol. BMW now uses a vacuum system for evac and refill.

I did it the hose disconnect way, but that way doesnt get all fluid out initially. I did it a couple times to get all new coolant in the engine circuit.

Below is a link for diy for turbo coolant lines. Check this out, itll give you a good visual of the lines.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672631
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Last thing. A length of hose with finger covering the top will get you a fluid sample. Thatll allow you to check for sludge and you could use a fluid tester to make sure its with in spec. This is if you want to attempt any checking on your own.

Back when I was super lcharged with m3, I had to do alot of work with coolant.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #13
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Gotta shop smart with these things man, I just don't feel comfortable buying one that is modified in ANY way. It's a red flag. Even headlight tint or a wrap can be hiding something else. I got my bone stock 2013 M6 1 owner FL car since new serviced at my local dealer since new with 42k miles for $39,500 in August from the BMW dealer that has been servicing it since day 1. It's been excellent, minus 1 ignition coil which is expected at this mileage.

I've since done H&R Springs, Soul Performance Exhaust, Vorsteiner VFF-103 wheels, and a few carbon goodies to get it to my taste. More often than not, buying a modified car because it's a good deal with the mods priced out ends up biting you in the butt.
Attached Images

Last edited by JDMSteven; 05-26-2022 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 3
mikerx5461.00
Mdriv3r148.50
DRKNTM615.50
      05-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #14
jporter396
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Gotta shop smart with these things man, I just don't feel comfortable buying one that is modified in ANY way. It's a red flag. Even headlight tint or a wrap can be hiding something else. I got my bone stock 2013 M6 1 owner FL car since new serviced at my local dealer since new with 42k miles for $39,500 in August from the BMW dealer that has been servicing it since day 1. It's been excellent, minus 1 ignition coil which is expected at this mileage.

I've since done H&R Springs, Soul Performance Exhaust, Vorsteiner VFF-103 wheels, and a few carbon goodies to get it to my taste. More often than not, buying a modified car because it's a good deal with the mods priced out ends up biting you in the butt.
nice looking car

i would agree. the previous guy had a subwoofer in the back, dark tint film on the headlights. not trying to be a judgemental ass, but definitely didnt buy it from a 70 year old woman. with that said car was serviced thoroughly by the previous owners and even by the last guy according to carfax history. at 65k miles you just wouldnt think a car could self destruct like this ! haha.
Appreciate 2
Mdriv3r148.50
JDMSteven474.50
      05-27-2022, 12:00 AM   #15
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Ouch. Hope it gets fixed via warranty and you're back on the road.
Just got through with a 3 month battle in and out of 2 shops due to spun rod bearing.
Appreciate 0