BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

I purchased my 2016 640i GC as a CPO vehicle about 18 months ago. Here are the reliability issues with the car that were either addressed before I made the purchase, and those that have occurred since:

- Airbag system fault, repaired before purchase
- Lane departure warning steering wheel vibration mechanism came loose, repaired before purchase
- iDrive controller would experience intermittent jamming/would be very difficult to turn at times, repaired under CPO warranty
- Sunroof gaiters (plastic components which keep air from blowing in/out the sides of the sunroof when opened), both replaced under CPO warranty
- Beginning of delamination of center console trim, repaired under CPO warranty
- Center console lid, left side does not open. Spring failure. Only opens after pressing the button then lifting the door up. Dealer claimed not covered by CPO warranty, not repaired. Cost to repair outside of warranty: $1,000 plus labor.
- Driver's window regulator replaced due to overheating during use. Repaired under CPO warranty.

The vehicle had 31K miles on it when I purchased it, and has 44K miles now.

In all, the vehicle had more go wrong during the warranty period than I expected.

I'm interested in knowing what problems other 640/650 owners have experienced that are unrelated to the N63 engine in the 650.

Thanks everyone!
Ron
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Good topic! Gives those of us who's warranty will be running out soon, things to look for.

2016 650 F06. I have put 20,000 miles on mine so far.

Had both front struts replaced under BMW Goodwill program due to rattling noise when temps are approximately 40 degrees F and colder. There is a thread somewhere in here on this issue.

Nothing else...... It's been a great car for me so far.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

100k miles, 2015 640i GC lci.

Purchased this year February.

No warranty.

Full main dealer service history. One owner. The way I see it high mileage means the car was reliable enough to be actually driven on a regular basis. I also never sell any car I buy, so I don't care for future selling price.

Anyway this car has a sticky rear right window which sometimes retracts as if the pinch sensor. No biggy. I'm handy and will tackle it myself when I get the time. Also the reason why I don't have a warranty, I can do more with that money myself in maintenance.

That is literally my only issue. This is also the first BMW I have which does not require an oil top up every 1000 miles. Very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

For my 640 luckily for me i purchased the cna warranty which is freakin amazing. So far my cna has covered a new center armrest due to spring failure same as OP left side, idrive knob replacement was getting stiff to rotate, transfer case did a few donuts and it was broken yikes, bunch of comfort access exterior door knobs, replaced front side cameras, they replaced my ac vent driver side when silver trim fell off, intake manifold along with rear main seal due to bad pcv system, usb port in armrest, thrust control arm bushings, front left tie rod, passenger heated seats, i believe thats all i can think of the warranty costed me 3900 bucks it expires in october 2021 or 155k miles and i am gonna do whatever i can to try and extend it..

I purchased my certified 640i xdrive GC with 39k miles on it in 2018 the car is a 2015 model i now have 78k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Since you also asked about 650s, my CPO expired 2 years ago this month. In that 2 years the only issue was the crankcase vent lines that are under extended warranty, but I did myself anyway. Other than that, just oil and air filters in the last 2 years. While under warranty since I've owned it the dealer replaced 2 balky iDrive controllers and the little rear convertible window because one of the defroster wires stopped working. Those are the only repairs in three and half years. I'd say that's reliable, but as far as I know my 2014 X3 has never had a repair of any kind. Not even a burned out bulb.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
For my 640 luckily for me i purchased the cna warranty which is freakin amazing. So far my cna has covered a new center armrest due to spring failure same as OP left side, idrive knob replacement was getting stiff to rotate, transfer case did a few donuts and it was broken yikes, bunch of comfort access exterior door knobs, replaced front side cameras, they replaced my ac vent driver side when silver trim fell off, intake manifold along with rear main seal due to bad pcv system, usb port in armrest, thrust control arm bushings, front left tie rod, passenger heated seats, i believe thats all i can think of the warranty costed me 3900 bucks it expires in october 2021 or 155k miles and i am gonna do whatever i can to try and extend it..

I purchased my certified 640i xdrive GC with 39k miles on it in 2018 the car is a 2015 model i now have 78k miles on it.
So you purchased 100K miles Warranty for $3900?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post

So you purchased 100K miles Warranty for $3900?
Funny you say that becuase i got into it with the selling dealer because of that. When they sold me the warranty I/we determined 5 years is what I wanted which was the longest term they had so the finance guy asked me how many miles do I drive and I told him approximately 15k a year so he goes and calculates that I need my warranty to end at 155k which made me believe that my warranty was going to last 5 years but it only lasts 5 years from the original in-service date back in 2015. If he had not set the mileage that high I would have realized that it doesnt last 5 years from purchase date so i called months later complaining and we settled on them returning 1500 dollars to me or waiting until my contract ends within 30 days and they would pay 50% of the total price to increase the contract which is what i am leaning towards either way 3900 is still a win for me as i got so many things covered by it already somewhere around 12k worth of bmw's services so i feel that I won either way more so now that I got 1500 coming back as well..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Some similarities- My sunroof gaiter is torn and my driver window acts crazy sometimes. I've got 53k miles still under warranty just haven't been big enough issues to take it in for.
For me reliability is what affects the driveability of the car. Some of the others, just nuances that come with over engineered vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Some similarities- My sunroof gaiter is torn and my driver window acts crazy sometimes. I've got 53k miles still under warranty just haven't been big enough issues to take it in for.
For me reliability is what affects the driveability of the car. Some of the others, just nuances that come with over engineered vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
My driver's window was refusing to go all the way up. The dealer said the tested it and was nothing wrong. It turned out it was more the regulator, but it was the motor that was overheating. They replaced it under CPO on my second visit.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      04-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #10
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Had car for over a year now - been super reliable. Small pcv breather hose needs replacing on valve cover (£40) - thats it. I also messed up the centre console door - will be taking it apart and resetting the spring when i get time.

Surprised by the issues you guys are having across the pond. Bought mine at 98k miles feb 2021, its now at 115k miles. Oil change, filters, front discs and pads (all genuine bmw) done recently. So far so good knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
mudpaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Bought my 2015 640i GC with 58K and no warranty. I'm at 72K and have had no issues beside a left low beam fault from time to time. Placing the headlight switch to manually on from auto fixes the problem. I do plan to replace the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner, oil filter housing gaskets and do an intake valve walnut blast this summer as preventive maintenance.
Been a great car so far. Much better than my previous Audi S5.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #12
gjohnsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaw View Post
Bought my 2015 640i GC with 58K and no warranty. I'm at 72K and have had no issues beside a left low beam fault from time to time. Placing the headlight switch to manually on from auto fixes the problem. I do plan to replace the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner, oil filter housing gaskets and do an intake valve walnut blast this summer as preventive maintenance.
Been a great car so far. Much better than my previous Audi S5.
Be aware. Low beam fault will get worse and most commonly, the complete headlight unit must be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #13
00e46sedan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16’ F13 640i M Sport

Bought a 2016 640i Msport F13

64k miles recently replaced oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket along with a coolant flush (previous owner had a different coolant and not the recommended bmw one . Had spark plugs replaced as well. Love the car it’s a rare alpine white /vermillion red combo and it’s a coupe yuppie ! Lol . But yeah the oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket can run a pretty large sum of $$$ for those wondering if u cannot do it yourself I mean which is also a pita.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 09:14 PM   #14
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex46fanatic View Post
100k miles, 2015 640i GC lci.

Purchased this year February.

No warranty.

Full main dealer service history. One owner. The way I see it high mileage means the car was reliable enough to be actually driven on a regular basis. I also never sell any car I buy, so I don't care for future selling price.

Anyway this car has a sticky rear right window which sometimes retracts as if the pinch sensor. No biggy. I'm handy and will tackle it myself when I get the time. Also the reason why I don't have a warranty, I can do more with that money myself in maintenance.

That is literally my only issue. This is also the first BMW I have which does not require an oil top up every 1000 miles. Very pleased.

What do you mean you never sell any car you buy? What do you do, bury them in the garden?
Appreciate 1
rasa bmw242.50