BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Bmw F06 640i xdrive Exhaust Conversion Question

So floating through the forums and even searching through YouTube to determine the best route for my quad conversion method, I have a few questions that maybe those who had already performed the conversion or about can share some insight. I have a Parsons rear 3pc lower diffuser and the m6 upper diffuser ready to be painted and installed, but haven't landed on a quad exhaust setup yet....

I have a LCI f06 640ixdrive (as the title states) which means I have an exhaust flap in the right muffler.

Eisenmann Quad Exhaust

Looks great and sounds great too. But $2800+ for some axle backs seems steep. Question is, is this exhaust carb legal? Also, no way to retain the valve feature when replacing the stock mufflers to this one correct?

Megan Supremo

Quad tipped and not as expensive as Eisenmann, but I live in NY and I don't plan on tuning the car. Just need a little more exhaust note. Megan website explicitly states their mufflers are for off road use and not carb legal. So no way I will pass emissions correct? It's just not worth the headache of this is the case.

Meisterschaft

What a gorgeous setup they offer..... But doesn't appear to be carb legal either. But you can add the remote valve unit which is awesome.... But +$4k? These things ever go on sale? Lol

Fi Exhaust

Another full cat back option for similar price as Meisterschaft..... But explecitily not carb legal and for off road use only. Unfortunately a no go.

M performance Exhaust

I had these on my 16' 535 f10 and loved the sound. But for the 6,the quad look is too sporty to live without. But adding y tips seems a bit of a downgrade in my opinion. Why spend money on an exhaust and still need to modify slightly to get that quad look? Good thing is it's carb legal.
Talk about 1st world problems right?

M5/M6 Competition Mufflers .

Looks like I will have to zip tie the valves closed to avoid drone and use a reducer pipe and weld them on. Anyway to keep the right muffle valve functional for my LCI f06? Drone seems to be hot or miss with this setup. Maybe others can chime on here?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Default on M6 mufflers is valves closed. Vacuum lines open the valves when RPMs call for it. Converted my 650 to M6 setup and it's been amazing... love it. People zip tie to keep valves open all the time... more exhaust sound but drone will be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Default on M6 mufflers is valves closed. Vacuum lines open the valves when RPMs call for it. Converted my 650 to M6 setup and it's been amazing... love it. People zip tie to keep valves open all the time... more exhaust sound but drone will be an issue.

Thanks sixpost. Since the LCI 640 has an exhaust flap in the right muffler, essentially can i just swap the stocks mufflers for the m6 comps and the right muffler valve still work? Of course the left muffler will remain closed by default still since that's how stock setup is for the 640.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
SixPost
Private
Rep

Sounds right to me. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but it seems like you could put a Y in the vacuum line and run a few feet of additional tubing over to the other muffler. Should be minimal effort and both would have functional valves that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
sananvet
Mindys6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 F06

i had a rough experience with meisterschaft. GThaus made it right-(sort of) but not without enormous inconvenience and headache. Love the final product. I have a 2014 GC xdrive. Its a beautiful exhaust but for the money the circus surrounding my order and installation was not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananvet View Post
i had a rough experience with meisterschaft. GThaus made it right-(sort of) but not without enormous inconvenience and headache. Love the final product. I have a 2014 GC xdrive. Its a beautiful exhaust but for the money the circus surrounding my order and installation was not worth it.
Ouch. Definately one of my biggest fears dropping that kind of money and having a hard time on installation. Definately appreciate your input and feedback. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Anyone here with eisenmann exhaust on an LCI f06 640ixdrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
SixPost
Private
Rep

For the 650, the inlet diameter for the M6 mufflers was a match. Install was not overly complicated. If the 640 has a different / smaller exhaust diameter entering the mufflers, could make the install more challenging... but there are many on the forum who have pulled it off. Likely most aftermarket options are geared for the 650 / M6 diameter I'm thinking.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:59 PM   #9
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
For the 650, the inlet diameter for the M6 mufflers was a match. Install was not overly complicated. If the 640 has a different / smaller exhaust diameter entering the mufflers, could make the install more challenging... but there are many on the forum who have pulled it off. Likely most aftermarket options are geared for the 650 / M6 diameter I'm thinking.
For the 640's, after some research I will have to use a reducer pipe since the inlet diameter is suppose to be 2.5" if I'm not mistaken. The 650's and M6 inlet pipes are larger, but no sure by how much.

Definately trying to hone in on my exhaust upgrade soon..... Weather getting nice
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #10
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

OK as an update, decided to pull the trigger on Megan supremo for the m6 in black with chrome black tips. I just couldn't find myself justifying over 2k for some axle backs. For a little bit of rumble, $650 was better than $2800.
Got my M6 upper diffuser painted today also, so now just waiting for the exhaust to deliver on Sunday. Will keep you posted on how it turns out.
Next month my maxton splitters are supposed to ship. I have the front lip already. Once the splitters are in, I'll paint my Parsons 3 pc diffuser and install all at once.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

OK so last weekend I installed the Megan supremo. I'm getting used to the new sound. Low rpm I get slight drone, but nothing unbearable. I've seen and heard other card with exhaust that are just too much in my opinion.

I went with the black m6 ones with the black chrome tips. Muffler shop (American Muffler in Long Island NY) was able to expand the tunes and weld to the new mufflers. Saturday I get my Parsons 3 pc diffuser installed to complete the look.

The largest diameter tips I ever had on a car was 3.5". The 4" tips really fill in the m6 diffuser.

I'll post some pics and exhaust clips after diffuser is installed.
Appreciate 0