BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #177
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Diffuser nightmare continues...

I've been trying to source one since Sept. and once I finally found one that was of quality, it has major fitment issues. Like...it doesn't fit at all issues. The weave and such is great but of course that means nothing if it can't be mounted to the car. Myself and the body shop really tried to be creative here but there's simply no solution to fitting this middle section. Now to dealing with return shipping/getting a refund ($1200) and trying once again to source a diffuser. To be continued...

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #178
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Yeah, that's WAY off. The contour of the curve doesn't even match up. I have to wonder if what they sent you is even for the M6. Damn near every single aftermarket piece of CF I've owned needs a bit of work to fit perfectly, but that is taking it to an impossible level.

Now comes the return/refund dance...such a pain. Ugh.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #179
idiskjock
Private
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Did you remove the bumper cover to try and get it fitted? The bumper cover has more freedom to flex when off the car. Most rear diffusers will have some tension when it's all screwed in.

Also, that rear diffuser needs to be pulled towards the rear another inch or so to clip in correctly. All of it is done much easier with the bumper off the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #180
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Yeah, that's WAY off. The contour of the curve doesn't even match up. I have to wonder if what they sent you is even for the M6. Damn near every single aftermarket piece of CF I've owned needs a bit of work to fit perfectly, but that is taking it to an impossible level.

Now comes the return/refund dance...such a pain. Ugh.
Big time. And yeah, as you said the curves are completely off. Even if I were to somehow get it closer to the bumper, the gap would be very noticeable. At this point I'm going to be stuck with the OE competition diffuser until I can source one that I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiskjock View Post
Did you remove the bumper cover to try and get it fitted? The bumper cover has more freedom to flex when off the car. Most rear diffusers will have some tension when it's all screwed in.

Also, that rear diffuser needs to be pulled towards the rear another inch or so to clip in correctly. All of it is done much easier with the bumper off the car.
Removing the bumper wouldn't change the fact that the curves are off in some areas. I installed the Vorsteiner style version on my last M6 and it sat a lot more flush just from doing the same type of test fit that you see done in the photos. The clips didn't even line up; we'd have to use a dremel to make that work. But even so, there isn't nearly an inch worth of space to pull the diffuser toward the rear.

I hear what you're saying about the bumper can flex more when off as my front bumper and side skirts were removed for a flush fitment. This is just too off to begin with and would still take some major fabrication to get it on and likely still not look up to my standards.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #181
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post

I've been trying to source one since Sept. and once I finally found one that was of quality, it has major fitment issues. Like...it doesn't fit at all issues. The weave and such is great but of course that means nothing if it can't be mounted to the car. Myself and the body shop really tried to be creative here but there's simply no solution to fitting this middle section. Now to dealing with return shipping/getting a refund ($1200) and trying once again to source a diffuser. To be continued...
Bummer indeed -- may not be as aggressive as you're trying to go, but I've been very happy with the OEM M Performance carbon diffuser. As OEM as fitment can get, and nice consistent carbon weave with some aggressive, albeit somewhat shallow fins compared to what you're going for.

Not sure if convenience and fitment is becoming more of a priority as you encounter issues, but thought I'd throw it out there

Pic from first install, tbt to temp tags

03-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #182
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
Diffuser

I just received mine and have the same kind of fitment issue.
Attached Images

03-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #183
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Bummer indeed -- may not be as aggressive as you're trying to go, but I've been very happy with the OEM M Performance carbon diffuser. As OEM as fitment can get, and nice consistent carbon weave with some aggressive, albeit somewhat shallow fins compared to what you're going for.

Not sure if convenience and fitment is becoming more of a priority as you encounter issues, but thought I'd throw it out there

I actually went back to your build thread to check yours out because I recalled you having the M Performance option. I really want something that extends the length of the whole bumper to compliment the somewhat aggressive front lip & side skirts. So in came the idea of the M Performance piece paired with some sort of carbon side “winglets” if you will. Idk. I’m stuck right now, ha. Trying to withhold from spending the $ on genuine Vorsteiner piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine775 View Post
Yours looks similar to how my Vorsteiner style one originally did. However being that it wrapped around the sides of the bumper, it actually helped position the diffuser closer to the body. What are you planning to do? Attempt a bumper removal/install?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #184
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post

I actually went back to your build thread to check yours out because I recalled you having the M Performance option. I really want something that extends the length of the whole bumper to compliment the somewhat aggressive front lip & side skirts. So in came the idea of the M Performance piece paired with some sort of carbon side “winglets” if you will. Idk. I’m stuck right now, ha. Trying to withhold from spending the $ on genuine Vorsteiner piece.

Quote:
Yours looks similar to how my Vorsteiner style one originally did. However being that it wrapped around the sides of the bumper, it actually helped position the diffuser closer to the body. What are you planning to do? Attempt a bumper removal/install?
I'll probably have to return it. I can't see how taking the bumper off will help. My center piece looks warped. Did you get yours to fit?
      03-01-2022, 11:11 PM   #185
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll probably have to return it. I can't see how taking the bumper off will help. My center piece looks warped. Did you get yours to fit?
Same. Going back and forth with the company now while they try to “troubleshoot” but I’ll likely just return it. Don’t see a feasible solution otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #186
paul_80eighty
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Quote:
Hey everyone!

As of three weeks ago, I officially joined the "dark side" as I sold my CLS AMG and jumped into the car that I've longed for for a solid two years; an M6 Gran Coupe. What. a. car! I went back and forth with whether or not I wanted the coupe or GC, but after seeing and driving both, I was 100% sold on the GC. It's just something about a four door "saloon" that does it for me.

Specs on the car:
-'14 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
-Silverstone Metallic
-Competition Pack
-Executive Pack
-Driver Assist Pack
-Bang & Olufsen
-Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
-1 Owner

This particular thread I'm sure will include a lot of modifications/advice, etc. that's already been covered, but I like to create these type of pages to keep everything in order and to document the before/after process of all that I do. So please, by all means feel free to follow along and add your advice/tips as see fit!

So, what all do I plan to do? This of course will probably change as time goes on, but currently, this is the plan;

Current Mods:
I just had a set of H&R sport springs installed and 12mm M&S spacers added to the rear, none on the front. I actually like the look of the front wheels being more tucked while the rear pokes out with a flush fitment. Gives it that 'V' stance that I like. It's actually a little lower than I thought it would be, but I'm 100% happy with the overall appearance.

Future Plans:
-Front bumper getting redone. There are minor paint chips and a small hump on the bottom lip that needs fixed. The orange side markers are actually going to be sprayed too - save me from having to purchase new ones. Car was taken in today.
-Replacing OEM plastic 3 piece front lip
-Megan Racing Supremo axel back exhaust in black chrome
-VRSF Catless DP's
-Tuning? Leaning toward Mission Tuning at the moment
-Intake? Other than charcoal filter delete, I'm sure not. I originally planned to through in a set of BMC filters but I read how some people ran into issues as those are oiled filters..
-15% window tint all around
-Grille, side vents, center chrome section of door handles and trunk badge all replaced in gloss black.
-Vorsteiner style CF diffuser
-CF front lip (center section only)
-Wheels powder coated in a semi-gloss gun metal color

Now here's where my extreme anal-ness kicks in...Paint Correction. I will probably spend about 25-30 man hours getting the car in near perfect shape. This will include a multi step decontamination, compound, polish, interior, trim, sealants, coatings, etc. This is where I think I can truly add value to the forum for those interested..

I want to thank all of you here who actively post about our cars - definitely helped me during my research! Now with all that being said, here's a couple pics of the beast!
Hey there! I just bought an f13 M6 coupe. Looking forward to what you have to say about the Mission tune. I am looking into the DME tune or the bootmod3 tune. I also purchased VRSF catless DP's, the same gloss black grilles you have, H&R lowering springs, a carbon lip (probably a different one than you're going with as I wanted it across the whole front end, not just the center), and blacked out rear badge. I'll be installing all of those myself so we'll see how it goes! Still deciding on which rear decklid and diffuser to go with. The car already has the Meisterschaft GTC catback which I'm looking forward to.

As for my input, I'd personally go for 21" wheels to fit the size of the M6 a little more, and keep the OEM wheels for winter driving (if you live in a state with winter weather haha) but other than that it seems like you've got a great package going! Excited to see where it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 09:53 PM   #187
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_80eighty View Post
Hey there! I just bought an f13 M6 coupe. Looking forward to what you have to say about the Mission tune. I am looking into the DME tune or the bootmod3 tune. I also purchased VRSF catless DP's, the same gloss black grilles you have, H&R lowering springs, a carbon lip (probably a different one than you're going with as I wanted it across the whole front end, not just the center), and blacked out rear badge. I'll be installing all of those myself so we'll see how it goes! Still deciding on which rear decklid and diffuser to go with. The car already has the Meisterschaft GTC catback which I'm looking forward to.

As for my input, I'd personally go for 21" wheels to fit the size of the M6 a little more, and keep the OEM wheels for winter driving (if you live in a state with winter weather haha) but other than that it seems like you've got a great package going! Excited to see where it goes.
Congrats on your purchase, man!

I’m not sure if you looked through the pages on my thread but I’ve done/discussed a few of the things you mentioned over the years. Love the MP tune. So much that I went with it 2x over and now have their e30 calibrated stage 2 file. 21’s look good these cars but the small tire sidewall required to run them isn’t really my style. And my m6 is definitely not seeing any of this Ohio winter, lol.

You’ll love how the DP’s wake up the car, especially paired with the Meisterschaft system. Not to mention the added power.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:38 AM   #188
nobuno
Private
Rep
Drives: 535I 335I

Quote:

Nice to meet you.

I had the same problem with the fitting, but I applied heat to the left and right to prevent the carbon from deteriorating and stretched it to reach the bumper of the car body!

Last edited by nobuno; 04-29-2022 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #189
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuno View Post
Nice to meet you.

I had the same problem with the fitting, but I applied heat to the left and right to prevent the carbon from deteriorating and stretched it to reach the bumper of the car body!
I appreciate that information. I actually went on ahead and bought a Vorsteiner diffuser but I’ll pass that information on to whoever buys the 3 piece from me.

By the way, your car looks great! I’ve seen it a few times on Instagram. Love the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #190
starchildnyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6, E93 M3, Porsche Cayene

how did you address the camber issues after lowering????
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:05 AM   #191
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Whats the MP tune?

I researched a lot of aftermarket diffusers, but in the end, decided to shell out the bucks for something quality, which was Vorsteiner: heres a pic:

0 fitment issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRq5dbfDMibRHK55A
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #192
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchildnyc View Post
how did you address the camber issues after lowering????
I usually leave it as after lowering. Car road great and tires last a solid 10k miles which is good enough for me. However, I just had a not so great experience with a hub dyno that caused my alignment to be totally out of whack. Ended up getting the car custom aligned and it feels like it's on rails now. I can upload the alignment specs if interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #193
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Whats the MP tune?

I researched a lot of aftermarket diffusers, but in the end, decided to shell out the bucks for something quality, which was Vorsteiner: heres a pic:

0 fitment issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRq5dbfDMibRHK55A
Yup, same here. I put my Vorsteiner one put on a little over a month ago. I actually lucked up before the price increased roughly $400. When I purchased it through AutoTalent they still had the old price listed as they weren't made aware of the increase on Vorsteiners part. And instead of either cancelling my order or telling me, "hey it's going to run you an additional $400" the owner, Golan Haiem, fought with Vorsteiner in honoring the price I originally paid. Don't see that type of service nowadays in this niche market - at least I don't. So for that, they have a forever customer in me.

MP = Mission Performance Tune. Very pleased with it and it's flexibility.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #194
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Snapped a few photos in the driveway testing out my new camera lens - still a lot of learning left to do before I do a "shoot".

I also have a Bluetooth Flex Fuel analyzer kit now by a company called Fuel-It to help monitor my e85/93 mix. So far it's been great and I'd recommend it to anyone running any E blend to keep everything in line. I have the Mission Performance tune with modified fuel mapping to run E30 and it PULLS. 60-130 is down .4 seconds over 93 only and that was on the first run. I feel confident that I can get that down to .5-.6 seconds.

Cell phone pic of the kit and of the app in action. (It leveled out to E30 once it finished mixing)

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 05:46 PM   #195
F-0H6
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 640i

what a beauty
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #196
Flo1989
Lieutenant