BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #111
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
That looks great, can you tells us how long it took and how many applications and if it affected the contrast stitching? I hope it lasts. I have the platinum individual leather and have been entraining the idea of re dying but no one guaranteed the sticking and even replacing the leather cover on the seat by BMW but wanted $4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
So I did the same and got a complete colourlock kit - I thought I posted on here but can't find it!

I may have gone a bit overkill but I bought their entire kit including the colour matched dye. First point - I had various blemishes across the interior (so much leather!) and the colourlock system was amazing at covering up marks and scratches - for example my glovebox had some nasty nail scratches:

I'm waiting for a free weekend to tackle this again as my whole interior is due a full detail. I'll give the process another go and see how we do, though I may be reaching out to colourlock for further advice. It may just be an annual "maintenance" thing I have to do vs getting a professional - more permanent - repair.
So it took me about 90 minutes and 2-3 coats...And that was mainly because of the stitching area. Colourlock reps told me the only way around not dying the stitching was to mask the areas of. I found that to be extremely complicated as the tap would not stick. So, I went the slow but more precise route. I used these micro paint brushes and added the dye in between the stitching and on the outside of the stitching - enough to were I didn't have to worry about coming close to the stitching with the applicator sponge. Very tedious work, but I'm a bit too anal to have went over the white threads.

MMMM6GC Your photos didn't post for some reason. Sucks to hear you have to do it again, but I suppose if its only once a year its not too bad. I truly don't understand how the side bolster gets beat to shit so bad when I literally never even touch it. I only weigh 175/180lbs..I don't rub it getting in/out of the vehicle. Idk, Strange...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:45 PM   #112
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Thank you all for the responses, I am also 168lbs and 6.1" and still get this wear on the driver bolster although the rest of the car is like new. I am always very careful not to rub against the bolster. I am very picky and it bothers me. I will give it a shot. I am glad they offer platinum leather in their colors. 1.5 hours is not bad.
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      04-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #113
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
So it took me about 90 minutes and 2-3 coats...And that was mainly because of the stitching area. Colourlock reps told me the only way around not dying the stitching was to mask the areas of. I found that to be extremely complicated as the tap would not stick. So, I went the slow but more precise route. I used these micro paint brushes and added the dye in between the stitching and on the outside of the stitching - enough to were I didn't have to worry about coming close to the stitching with the applicator sponge. Very tedious work, but I'm a bit too anal to have went over the white threads.

MMMM6GC Your photos didn't post for some reason. Sucks to hear you have to do it again, but I suppose if its only once a year its not too bad. I truly don't understand how the side bolster gets beat to shit so bad when I literally never even touch it. I only weigh 175/180lbs..I don't rub it getting in/out of the vehicle. Idk, Strange...
Nice! Good tip - I have those micro brushes too so will utilize them, but this time I'm going to change my approach slightly. When I first used the kit last year I only hit the really worn areas - where even the thread had lost its colour...I was tempted to find some contrasting white dye and try and hit each stitch but a) it might stand out too much and b) being such a tedious job I'd want to know if it held up...which it didn't.

This time round I might go for 3-4 coats like you mentioned, and go further past the area of damage - these good stitches I don't want to be dyed so will either mask the area or use the micro-brushes. Will then follow up with 2 coats of the protector to better seal everything in.

Same here RE the bolster - I do such few miles and am careful with in/egress but they still get destroyed. Could be to do with the kind of leather BMW uses as I found it extremely easy to scratch. Nightmare for OCD!
Appreciate 2
TomM673.00
Flo1989342.00
      05-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #114
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Another first for myself & Project Gamma and that's painting their new mesh filters for their intake system. Generally the mesh can come in different colors but the front plate and back side are gloss black. I've grown to love the red from my RPI air scoops (Now for sale) over the years so I wanted to keep that theme since I have to remove them to mount the intake obviously. I went with the red intake also - wanted to give the engine bay some life and I think it'll be the right amount of "loud".

I generally would install this system myself but the car goes in for Snow Performances Stage 3 WMI kit in a couple weeks so I just have it all done then.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 1
HeyKC101.50
      05-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #115
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've grown to love the red from my RPI air scoops (Now for sale)
How much you want for the air scoop thingies?
And of course, your journal is the best here, seriously living vicariously through you, my friend. lol.

- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #116
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
How much you want for the air scoop thingies?
And of course, your journal is the best here, seriously living vicariously through you, my friend. lol.

- Leo.
On a forum full of great cars, I appreciate that, Leo! I’ll PM u now about the RPI scoops.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #117
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got around to getting my intakes and snow performance stage 3 WMI kit installed. My go-to shop did a rather neat job on the install and even made me a custom little CF bracket for the controller. I haven't been able to drive the car all that much, but from what I've read I need to get multiple long 3rd gear pulls for the ecu to adapt to the meth spraying. I'm sure I'll have to do some adjusting on the settings, but as it sits its set to start spraying at 12psi and max spray at 21psi.

If anyone has this system and feels as though they have the "sweet spot" with the settings, by all means let me know...

As for the intakes, as most know, they sound insane! Even louder in person vs the internet. Mid range I definitely feel a difference...And that's not bc of the meth as I'm referring to lower boost before that kicks in.

Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #118
Petepacman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

So clean!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #119
M6EXY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe Competitio

CONGRATS

NEED HELP LET ME KNOW
LOWERED LOOK IS SICK
I WISH I COULDD DO IN NY but the way i drive and these roads ....

take a look at Eventuri air intakes
tested, ****** filter for better air, coller temp since its CF

you like sound ... best sound is Eisenmann Race... have had pass two cars
dont touch the rest of the exhast including the resonators since they are high flow and 3'' open pipes

if you need more power top tuner who will not destroy your car is DME Tunning MO
looks sick but from lip and rear diffuser will grab you nicely when you install as the look will make you fall in love even more

me i keep my cars sort of like marriage and treat them good

chek out instagram down have much but ill post exhaust and such if you like

ps i jusy saw your buiild after all i wrote
i guess i just saw your first post then i wrote this
@uncle_m6exy

Last edited by M6EXY; 06-03-2021 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #120
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepacman View Post
So clean!
My man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6EXY View Post
CONGRATS

NEED HELP LET ME KNOW
LOWERED LOOK IS SICK
I WISH I COULDD DO IN NY but the way i drive and these roads ....

take a look at Eventuri air intakes
tested, ****** filter for better air, coller temp since its CF

you like sound ... best sound is Eisenmann Race... have had pass two cars
dont touch the rest of the exhast including the resonators since they are high flow and 3'' open pipes

if you need more power top tuner who will not destroy your car is DME Tunning MO
looks sick but from lip and rear diffuser will grab you nicely when you install as the look will make you fall in love even more

me i keep my cars sort of like marriage and treat them good

chek out instagram down have much but ill post exhaust and such if you like

ps i jusy saw your buiild after all i wrote
i guess i just saw your first post then i wrote this
@uncle_m6exy
Haha, when I first started reading it I was thinking “damn, he wants me to change my whole set up!” Lol. I wanted eisenmann race but the wait was too long when I was ready to order so I went with my current set up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #121
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Decided to change up the steering wheel so I went with the M Performance (non LCD screen) wheel, IND blue M1/M2 buttons and F8xfreaks carbon fiber extended paddle shifters. Set up is super clean and just right for me.

Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #122
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
.. and F8xfreaks carbon fiber extended paddle shifters. Set up is super clean and just right for me.
Paddles look fantastic, how is the quality on these? Had been eyeing AutoTecknic Carbon Paddles for some time but at a fraction of the price, these look just as good. Wasn't even aware of another option
      07-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #123
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Paddles look fantastic, how is the quality on these? Had been eyeing AutoTecknic Carbon Paddles for some time but at a fraction of the price, these look just as good. Wasn't even aware of another option
Actually I was going with AutoTecknic also but when I reached out they told me it was at least a month wait time on the gloss CF paddles with the white +/- indicators. I wasn't willing to put off the install that long so I did some searching and came across a couple youtube reviews on the F8x versions and I sure am glad I did! I can't see AutoTecknic's being worth over 2x the price. The CF weave is precise plus they have a nice feel to them. Definitely recommend. And they have a 60 day return policy so it was a no brainer for me.

Last edited by Flo1989; 07-26-2021 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #124
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

All round lovely build, keep up the great work Flo
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #125
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually I was going with AutoTecknic also but when I reached out they told me it was at least a month wait time on the gloss CF paddles with the white +/- indicators. I wasn't willing to put off the install that long so I did some searching and came across a couple youtube reviews on the F8x versions and I sure am glad I did! I can't see AutoTecknic's being worth over 2x the price. The CF weave is precise plus they have a feel to them. Definitely recommend. And they have a 60 day return policy so it was a no brainer for me.
Thanks for the insight — just put in an order for a pair myself
      07-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #126
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
All round lovely build, keep up the great work Flo
I'm trying man, appreciate it!

Quote:
Thanks for the insight — just put in an order for a pair myself
You wont be dissapointed. One thing I did do is use the OEM paddle housing oppose to the ones that came with the paddles. Nothing wrong with the extra set, but whenever I can use OEM parts, I will.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #127
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 6
      08-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #128
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Without a doubt one of the cleanest cars on here -- great work
      08-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #129
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Without a doubt one of the cleanest cars on here -- great work
Appreciate it, bro!!
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #130
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

...This is a post I never dreamt I would be making but it's now my reality and I can finally bring myself to move forward. I will try to keep this as short as possible both for the sake of the readers and for me reliving this nightmare, but on Aug. 11th my car was totaled while on the turnpike, all while coincidently being en route to get more performance work done on the car. And before anyone jumps the gun, I was not racing, speeding, or even cited for the incident. Literally just a freak accident that caused me to hit the concrete barrier 5 separate times (insane). No one was hurt and I was in the car by myself. Yes, in the grand scheme of things that's the most important but to say I was out of my mind directly after is an understatement. SICK!

I thought about posting photos of the car but I think I'm going to leave the thread as is and not end this build with the car essentially being "dead".

So, obviously the next steps were to proceed; Insurance, adjusters, body shops etc. I knew at the scene that the car was totaled. Or at least damaged beyond me wanting it repaired and back to me. It would've been too sketchy with a high performance car that was pieced back together IMO. But, obviously insurance had to make that assessment. And they did. It was 20k worth of damage alone just in the rear of the car. All in all it was roughly 46k of repairs which of course led to the car being deemed a total loss. A couple good things to note; I actually received more $ for the car than what I paid for it 3 years ago! What a market we're in. Also, my uncle owns a body shop so I had it towed there and was able to salvage a decent amount of parts that were in perfect shape. Anything that wasn't stayed with the car.

So now (or really maybe 3 days after the accident) I was back on the hunt for a car. Played around with jumping into a RS7 but I decided that I was not done with this S63tu platform and quickly adjusted my mindset to find another M6GC. Options were scarce..really scarce. I needed all of the options I previously had + low-ish miles and a well maintained/conditioned car. Oh and color; Silverstone, white or san marino. Well, that left me with pretty much one car on the market which was across the country in Cali. The car seemed clean and well maintained but I still had a PPI done from a local BMW dealership which happened to only be 2 miles from the company selling the car. The car checked out just great outside of needing new tires and a new battery. So I closed the deal and on Sept. 2nd my new M6 arrived to me;
2015 M6 Competition
24k miles
Full Leather
Driver Assist
Exec Package
CF trim
B&O
141k MSRP

The original owner beefed the MSRP up by adding black grills, M pedals, a carbon fiber shift knob and the M performance electronic wheel to their build spec. All great options but I will be putting my M performance non electronic wheel back on in place of the electronic one (will sell it in marketplace).

You probably guessed that I'm not wasting anytime getting my car back to my stanards and you're absolutely correct;
-New battery has been installed & coded to the car
-Front bumper goes in for paint tomorrow (it honestly could be touched up with Dr color chip but I'm a bit anal and rather it have it perfect to start as the rest of the car is mint - outside of needing me to paint correct/coat it)
-Directly after paint, it goes off for about 3 weeks to get back to stage 2+ plus some other goodies. I'm doing everything I previously had done on the last M6 along with some other things I always intended to do but hadn't gotten to yet..Hints: louder and more aesthetically pleasing imo.

So to wrap this up...although it was devastating to lose my m6, I'm more glad that I'm alive and whole. And I will once again have a nicely modded M6 that I'll love all over again. I'll post it's progress here instead of starting a new thread.
Appreciate 3
HeyKC101.50
ind_can98.00
      09-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #131
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

First off, after such a wreck, happy to see you here posting, and with a replacement already secured to boot.

Second, welcome to team white!!

Looking forward to what else you have in store for this one.
Appreciate 2
Flo1989342.00
MMMM6GC275.00
      09-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #132
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Damn! So glad you're OK and if you're already back in another M6 then that speaks to fast recovery. I loved your build and came expecting more car porn, but this wisdom keeps things in better perspective. Cars are great but life is more precious. I'm looking forward to seeing this build nonetheless. Thanks for sharing all these adventures.
Appreciate 2
Flo1989342.00
MMMM6GC275.00