BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Last edited by Xx__xs; 12-10-2018 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

New upholstery for this car would be really exspensive and could be a major pain. The “right” way to do it would be to buy new OEM pieces of the color you desire and replace whatever is in the car currently. Two issues with this method. The amount of special color (like red) replacement panels are deminishing. Only so many were made. So there might be front red seats but no new rear seats. You can try used but their probably won’t be a full set and if there is a full set it’s probably from a damaged vehicle like a flood one. I haven’t researched this in quite sometime but if I remember right each piece is like $1000. Top and bottom for each seat totals $8k without door panels of desired color or dashboard which is over $5k by itself. Idk what labor would be but I assume at least $5k. More then likely should be done at BMW dealer because of airbags in the seats. Don’t want to mess that up.

Other option is a custom interior shop. Will be just as exspensive if not more because they value their time more and have to stitch each piece together since they’d be making the “seat cover” from scratch and air bags require a certain stictch pattern to work correctly if I remember right so that has to be done accordingly. The cool thing is if you go to a custom shop you can do whatever color, add pleats and features like multiple colors or diamond stitching.

Long story short save up and get the car with the colors you want. Or expect to pay close to $20k to do it new or custom. You could get lucky and find a full set from a totaled car but I wouldn’t count on that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
New upholstery for this car would be really exspensive and could be a major pain. The “right” way to do it would be to buy new OEM pieces of the color you desire and replace whatever is in the car currently. Two issues with this method. The amount of special color (like red) replacement panels are deminishing. Only so many were made. So there might be front red seats but no new rear seats. You can try used but their probably won’t be a full set and if there is a full set it’s probably from a damaged vehicle like a flood one. I haven’t researched this in quite sometime but if I remember right each piece is like $1000. Top and bottom for each seat totals $8k without door panels of desired color or dashboard which is over $5k by itself. Idk what labor would be but I assume at least $5k. More then likely should be done at BMW dealer because of airbags in the seats. Don’t want to mess that up.

Other option is a custom interior shop. Will be just as exspensive if not more because they value their time more and have to stitch each piece together since they’d be making the “seat cover” from scratch and air bags require a certain stictch pattern to work correctly if I remember right so that has to be done accordingly. The cool thing is if you go to a custom shop you can do whatever color, add pleats and features like multiple colors or diamond stitching.

Long story short save up and get the car with the colors you want. Or expect to pay close to $20k to do it new or custom. You could get lucky and find a full set from a totaled car but I wouldn’t count on that.
hmm, RDB, quoted me 3-4k..20k seems a little crazy lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZn...IyN3GNAUsS0DEA
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you do it, be sure to vlog the progress!

My opinion... don't and find a car that has all the options you want.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
hmm, RDB, quoted me 3-4k..20k seems a little crazy lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZn...IyN3GNAUsS0DEA
It’s not crazy it’s real... like I said there are cheaper ways. I looked on eBay and you can get a full interior out of an M5 for 3k but that’s used and from a damaged vehicle of some sort. New and OEM will easily cost that absurd 20k all day. I have a new leather dashboard in my M6 and have the receipt from BMW. Part by itself was over 5k.

Btw i just called RDB and they said “we don’t do interiors at all”. I think they quoted you a exterior wrap price maybe? It’s usually in that range 3-4k range.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
It’s not crazy it’s real... like I said there are cheaper ways. I looked on eBay and you can get a full interior out of an M5 for 3k but that’s used and from a damaged vehicle of some sort. New and OEM will easily cost that absurd 20k all day. I have a new leather dashboard in my M6 and have the receipt from BMW. Part by itself was over 5k.

Btw i just called RDB and they said “we don’t do interiors at all”. I think they quoted you a exterior wrap price maybe? It’s usually in that range 3-4k range.

-edit, just called and he said he misquoted me. $7000 is more accurate and they dont do it in house they send it out. i guess its better to just wait

Last edited by Xx__xs; 12-10-2018 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0