BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Sport vs Sport+ mode

I am aware that Sport mode sharpens handling, adds heavier steering, and increases engine performance (raises revs) compared to Comfort mode. But for Sport+, the only difference I can tell is that it turns off traction control and allows a bit more "play" before stability control kicks in. Can anyone confirm that this is correct. The owners manual is not very clear regarding this. Thanks
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Duff Ace
Adam
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lusso, GT3, 360, Vaquish, bike

Garage List
My understanding is that is correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Dodge_Gowans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640d

Sounds correct to me, although one other useful point is that if you have adaptive and configure Sport without chassis adjustment, Sport + will default with chassis adjustment.

That means you can have Sport Engine characteristics without stiffer damping until you switch to Sport+.

I also noticed that with Sport+ then gears in Sport using manual, the car will hold on to gears and only intervene when a downshift is required.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Dodge_Gowans; 04-11-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I have Sport configured to chassis but not gearbox, so you can have stiffer dampers but 'comfort' gearing, and push the stick across to Sport if you want both sport chassis and gearing. This then means you don't have to go to Sport+ and lose traction control by default but still have both settings on.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Gowans View Post
Sounds correct to me, although one other useful point is that if you have adaptive and configure Sport without chassis adjustment, Sport + will default with chassis adjustment.

That means you can have Sport Engine characteristics without stiffer damping until you switch to Sport+.

I also noticed that with Sport+ then gears in Sport using manual, the car will hold on to gears and only intervene when a downshift is required.

Hope that makes sense.
Sure does. Yes, Sport mode can be custom configured for chassis and/or engine. And yes, I believe in all settings, you can switch the gear lever to sport to hold gears longer
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
I have Sport configured to chassis but not gearbox, so you can have stiffer dampers but 'comfort' gearing, and push the stick across to Sport if you want both sport chassis and gearing. This then means you don't have to go to Sport+ and lose traction control by default but still have both settings on.
Right, I used to configure my F10 as such. I'm thinking from what I'm confirming from you guys is that sport+ is essentially useless to me. I don't track my car and there is really no reason for me to defeat traction control and loosen up stability control
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
gmusquiz
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Gowans View Post

Hope that makes sense.
This is what I wanted to know! I cannot drive this car without Sport transmission settings, but I also want to drive with my wife in the car with comfort suspension settings. I always drive in Sport+
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmusquiz View Post
This is what I wanted to know! I cannot drive this car without Sport transmission settings, but I also want to drive with my wife in the car with comfort suspension settings. I always drive in Sport+
Why not just leave it in comfort+ and move the gear selector to sport? Why have traction off with comfort chassis?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I'm pretty sure it's not "increasing engine performance". What you're experiencing is just more sensitive throttle.
      04-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not "increasing engine performance". What you're experiencing is just more sensitive throttle.
Well technically, as I put in my original post in parenthesis, Sport mode raises the RPMs which in turn increases engine performance. I'm sure you're aware that the car accelerates quicker in the higher rev range. You are incorrect when you state it is "just more sensitive throttle."
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Giggs11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' f13 650i xdrive,M package

I don't feel any difference between the Sport and sport+, matter-of-fact sport almost feels a little bit faster lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWShay View Post
Well technically, as I put in my original post in parenthesis, Sport mode raises the RPMs which in turn increases engine performance. I'm sure you're aware that the car accelerates quicker in the higher rev range. You are incorrect when you state it is "just more sensitive throttle."
Well to be pedantic, it alters the gear change RPM threshold thus maintaining a gear for more of the RPM range. The RPM range is the same, but the positioning within them differs availing more immediate torque, instead of being lower in the RPM range with less immediate torque available.

So to say more sensitive is to say, more immediate response, which is correct, due to not needing to drop a gear or beginning from lower RPM/torque values when choosing to accelerate.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
gmusquiz
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
Quote:
Why not just leave it in comfort+ and move the gear selector to sport? Why have traction off with comfort chassis?
No, that's not the idea. When I'm by myself I go full Sport+ mode, tranny, suspension, throttle and dynamic traction control. With my wife in the car, I still want the throttle response and transmission so I can put in Sport mode and just not have the chassis adjusted. Comfort mode is just when my wife drives because it's the boring version. I don't know how anyone can drive in comfort with the weak throttle response...just shifting the gear selector will still not change the throttle response
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

If you make one tiny change to the order of those words it takes on a new meaning...

Quote:
No, that's not the idea. When I'm by myself I go full tranny mode...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
Dodge_Gowans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640d

I find the use of Sport+ with the gear selector in Sport (S/M) also allows for full manual mode (once you hit a paddle or the shifter to initiate Mx/manual).

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems to be the only mode that allows the transmission to ‘HOLD’ on to gears indefinitely (unless you try to labour the engine - at which it will downshift).

It even ‘holds’ through the “kick down”, which is useful I think.
I love the way you can still “kick down” by holding down the downshift paddle. The box automatically selects the lowest available gear.
That’s a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650iXdrive GC

I think manual mode in sports + it wont shift till u starts to bounce off rev limiters, if there is a rev limiter, I am not sure, never wanted to rev high enough to find out :P
Appreciate 0