BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #67
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I feel like i have a hot date on monday. So excited.

Inlet manifold was replaced so must have been pretty bad?

I asked her if my car is on trickle charge as it's not been driven in 7 weeks. Do you think i should ask them to charge the battery up regardless?
Also do you think I need to do a oil change asap as the oil could be contaminated?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by The0pportunist; 07-05-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #68
damnet007
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Mine went in a few months ago and everything was fine (no work carried out). I kept on getting letters about the EGR cooler and called my local garage again. They said that my car needed looking once more, so I took it in on Monday. This time the EGR cooler needed replacing and they gave me an Enterprise hire car (Ford Kuga) to use instead. I was annoyed as I thought I'd have the Kuga for several weeks - the BMW assist lady mentioned that the part was on back order. But I picked my car up this morning and all the work has been completed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #69
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Driving sedately yesterday a couple miles from home and I get 'low coolant level' warning pop up saying I need to top it up as soon as possible. I carefully get home, open the bonnet and a little steam comes out from the bay, not from any place in particular but I can see wet spots in various places and it hasn't been raining.... Looking under the car I see lots of dampness on the undertray, but no gushing or dripping as such so definitely not a full coolant dump.

I let the car cool and topped up the coolant bottle with about 1.25L of distilled water, and decide to 'get ahead of the possible logistics issue' by driving it to my local independent BMW garage on the sunday, less traffic, no sat in queues etc. and only about 4miles away. I got the low coolant warning about 2 miles into the drive, but the car never faltered and the temp only slowly got up to temp and never went above the normal position.

Now, I haven't had the verdict back from the garage yet as it obviously wasn't booked in so they didn't get to it today, but I'm half expecting it to be the new EGR Cooler that's failed which seems the most common reason for 'rapid' coolant loss with BMWs. Either that, or when BMW did the EGR Cooler replacement they screwed something else up like leaving off a jubilee clip and a small hose has finally worked loose.

I suspect that because I had an electrical issue after the recall work which was tracked back to a loose earth point my indy thinks they'd have to have removed to swap the exhaust manifold they had to replace because they sheared a bolt off, so if this is down to the EGR recall I will not be happy as since then I've had multiple issues.

If the EGR cooler has cracked or such I'll be demanding BMW recover the car from the Indy (as this failure was the point of the recall and a fire/engine loss risk) and recoup any costs from the Indy for inspecting it, and provide a courtesy car again.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:06 AM   #70
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Spoke to my garage today and the pipe to the themostat had worked loose and was leaking. Whether this was due to BMW work on the EGR is unclear, I'd guess it was removed during the work and not refitted correctly / tightly and has worked loose over time. BMW main dealers...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #71
Oneel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640 msport gran coupe

I have an f06 and had a re-call. I think I done really well out this, Synters main dealer changed the Egr but still had errors, Germany head office were connected to my car and authorised tge Egr cooler radiator change and all sensors. Because if tge time it took BMW also gave me a big main service which normally costs £1200.all for free lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #72
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

They've changed my EGR at the end of February. I booked a courtesy car and a day before the appointment they called me and asked if I could wait in the lounge while the car is done. It took three hours, not sure if they coded anything but the mods I've done with Bimmercode were still working..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:32 PM   #73
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehax View Post
They've changed my EGR at the end of February. I booked a courtesy car and a day before the appointment they called me and asked if I could wait in the lounge while the car is done. It took three hours, not sure if they coded anything but the mods I've done with Bimmercode were still working..
they will not have updated anything,,they usually charge for that..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #74
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

I'm now booked in next week for the following:

EGR Cooler Replacement
Mixing Tubes Check
Intake Manifold Check

My concern is, will I lose the following if they do any updates etc at the dealer:

Remap
Various Bimmercode coding
Alpina Gearbox flash

Car is April 16 Build, LCI
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #75
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

just tell them and they will log it,,no ecu updates ..they usually charge £99 for an update so your usually safe..i gett hem to log"do not wash my car "
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #76
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
I'm now booked in next week for the following:

EGR Cooler Replacement
Mixing Tubes Check
Intake Manifold Check

My concern is, will I lose the following if they do any updates etc at the dealer:

Remap
Various Bimmercode coding
Alpina Gearbox flash

Car is April 16 Build, LCI

Yep i noted on the car no updates, i had the EGR valve replaced not sure about the checks

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 1
Junebug851589.00
      08-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #77
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
Yep i noted on the car no updates, i had the EGR valve replaced not sure about the checks
see ya just up the road from me,,sunny newbiggin by the sea me,,and are you sute they replaced the egr valve? it's egr cooler that is the prob
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #78
Roi354
Rep
Drives: G31 & F15

My 2014 640d GC had a letter in the history when I bought it regarding the EGR recall in Feb 2019. The first owner wrote the date on the letter to detail it had been in and 'no further action was required'.
I've recently received a letter to say it's got to go back in so is booked for 3rd November.

I asked about a courtesy car and was told that I could wait if I preferred, so I've gone for that option. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:51 AM   #79
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

So the saga continues.

Since the recall work I've had various issues I think all stemming from the work BMW completed.

First I had an intermittent electrical issue where the car would appear fine, but wouldn't even try to start. Tracked down to loose wire in engine bay that sometimes would be just missing enough contact for the car to think about starting.

Second I had a sudden large loss of coolant as a hose had not been refitted correctly and had worked loose.

Those issues have been resolved for many months, but recently I've been losing coolant at an alarming rate. First time this happened I got in the car and had a coolant level warning. It took about a litre to get it back above minimum.

Car was inspected, no obvious or strong leaks found, possible loose hose clip was replaced as preventative. System pressure tested, no leaks found.

Just 100 miles later, low coolant warning again. Another litre plus to get above minimum. Car re-inspected, no signs of coolant in engine bay, undertray etc. no smoking from exhaust, no smell of coolant. System pressure tested, no leaks found.

So, this leaves only the recall EGR cooler to have failed and be dumping coolant into the inlet manifold when it kicks in. It's booked in with BMW next week to inspect the EGR cooler, and I've asked they remove and inspect the inlet manifold which by this point must be clogged up with thick tar. I've even added a fire extinguisher in the boot for the little drives just to the garage seeing as this was the whole reason for the recall and fire risk. Other than that, I'm not driving the car.

I've heard from an ex-BMW technician some of the recall EGR coolers are thought to have been faulty. Ironic really, no issues until the recall work was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:51 AM   #80
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

if the egr cooler was dumping water into exhaust side ,you would see loads of steam from exhausts,or it could be going the other way and catch fire from heat..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #81
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

EGR cooler dumping coolant, not water. No signs coming out of exhaust, so I imagine it's creating large thick blockage of gunk in the inlet manifold.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #82
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
EGR cooler dumping coolant, not water. No signs coming out of exhaust, so I imagine it's creating large thick blockage of gunk in the inlet manifold.
more tan likely not,,ive cleaned eg valves on a few bmw 6 pot dervs over the years,,hardly ant gunk at all,,but your egr valve may be stuck,,not good if it's stuck open,,get it checked,,then you can get it closed and stay closed with software,,maybe evn get i remapped while you are on
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #83
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
more tan likely not,,ive cleaned eg valves on a few bmw 6 pot dervs over the years,,hardly ant gunk at all,,but your egr valve may be stuck,,not good if it's stuck open,,get it checked,,then you can get it closed and stay closed with software,,maybe evn get i remapped while you are on
You realise the EGR cooler recall was for precisely this issue, them leaking coolant into the inlet manifold, potentially leading to engine fires as the gunk it created burning through the plastic manifold.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:48 AM   #84
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
You realise the EGR cooler recall was for precisely this issue, them leaking coolant into the inlet manifold, potentially leading to engine fires as the gunk it created burning through the plastic manifold.
yeh,,but its more commen for the coolant to go exhaust side,,thrn you see steam out exhausts,,ive done a delete on an e92 335d,,b;lanked exhaust manifold and coolant bungs fro each end of pipework on the cooler.that way the whole assembly can stay in place
Appreciate 0