BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
hart07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i f13

Fluid power steering schedule

Hello everybody for a bmw f13 640i when you change fluid power steering?
And how to do it?
Spark plugs need to be changed if no starting problems?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart07 View Post
And how to do it?
Just to verify...you have your car listed as an f13 640i...unless you unintentionally left off the "x" and you have an AWD model...or if you happen to have one of the rare suspension options that would add it back...the RWD models have electronic steering...thus there is no power steering reservoir that would have PS fluid to change.

When you open your hood/bonnet and look to the right side (as you're standing in front of the car)...do you see a power steering reservoir? (see pics below of the 650i & 650ix engine bays with the N63TU engine...the AWD "ix" is the one with and the RWD "i" is the one without the PS reservoir...the 6 cyl PS reservoir would be in a similar location):
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
sir harmony
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Quote:
And how to do it?
A bad spark plug should not prevent a car from starting. It should start and then die or run rough. That is not absolute however. If the tip of your spark plug's' (it would have to be several) melted or broke off, then the vehicle may not start.

If you're having a no start issue, I would check fuel pressure (fuel pump, fuel pressure at the rail) before anything else. I wouldn't even suspect injectors, because you would have to have a lot of them fail at the same time, which is unlikely as was the case with all spark plugs failing at the same time. Whenever you have a part that has multiples (injectors, spark plugs, ignition coils), they typically will not prevent a car from starting. Even if you have 3 out of 6 bad ones, the car will start, but run extremely rough or die. I would look at a part that has only 1 unit (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, battery {try a different battery even if you think yours is good}, ignition switch, starter, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, ECM.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
hart07
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to verify...you have your car listed as an f13 640i...unless you unintentionally left off the "x" and you have an AWD model...or if you happen to have one of the rare suspension options that would add it back...the RWD models have electronic steering...thus there is no power steering reservoir that would have PS fluid to change.

When you open your hood/bonnet and look to the right side (as you're standing in front of the car)...do you see a power steering reservoir? (see pics below of the 650i & 650ix engine bays with the N63TU engine...the AWD "ix" is the one with and the RWD "i" is the one without the PS reservoir...the 6 cyl PS reservoir would be in a similar location):

I have bmw 640i f13 exclusive
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
hart07
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How to change fluid power steering on a 640i
And what fluid I have to put?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
sir harmony
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Quote:
How to change fluid power steering on a 640i
And what fluid I have to put?
Qsilver7 spent time explaining the difference between 'i' and 'xi' models and power steering reservoirs, and even included pics. Yet you post the same question again asking how to change the fluid in your 640'i'.

Okay, the fluid is located in the trunk. To change it, open the trunk, take out the spare tire, and remove the battery. Underneath the battery, there should be a large reservoir that holds pink power steering fluid. There is a drain valve next to it. Open the drain valve and it will all drain into the exhaust. Then just refill with the new pink power steering fluid. I'm done here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
hart07
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK thank you very much sorry to repeat my question.
No problem if I disconnect the battery I mean there will be no problem on the dashboard or other things to re configure?
Thks

Last edited by hart07; 06-04-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
... if I disconnect the battery ... will be no problem on the dashboard or other things to re configure?
Thks
BTW, just in case there's a "petit" struggle comprehending English (I see you're in France)...the PS reservoir is NOT in the trunk (that's even if you have a PS reservoir).

If you disconnect the battery (lose electrical power)...according to the owners manual you'll at the least need to reset the date, clock, and some seat/mirror settings...and you'll need to reset the sunroof if you have the 4dr GC or the 2dr coupe.

But I'll say it one more time...the only 640i models that have a power steering reservoir are the ones optioned with either of the two options below...if you do NOT have either of these two option pkgs...then you won't have a power steering reservoir on a 640i because the steering is electronic:

Options that gives the RWD 640i a power steering reservoir:
  • S229A - Dynamic Drive
  • S2VAA - Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-05-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0