United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
M6 Competition vs M6 with competition package

Hey guys,
I used to own a 550i F10 which I sold recently and have been driving my weekend car as a commuter now (03 Z4). I do miss the exhilaration of a V8 though. I am in the market for an M6 and as I browse these cars, I don't understand why the M6s depreciate so much. All those questions apart - I have been looking at this M6 Competition (1/100 made in 2016) w 17k miles and is priced for 67k. At the same time, I am also eyeing another M6 w 25k miles w competition package 2018 year (has updated I drive etc).
Not clear on what's the major difference between the competition vs M6 w competition. Also, the thought of 1/100 is kinda cool. Any recommendation on which one to go for? Both are owned by older guys who never tracked these cars.
Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Any feedback would be appreciated
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

While I don’t have any recommendations on which one to choose, other than get the best one you can afford.
One thing i always took from ads that would say, “never tracked” meant just the opposite to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

As far as I know, an M6 competition IS an M6 with the competition package. They are one and the same. I have test driven several of these and if I could offer any advice it would be to not buy them unless they were equipped with XDrive. Every M6 I have driven has been pretty much unable to hook up the rear tires. In my opinion, if you’re going to load up a 6 series with that much horsepower, you must have four wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

The M6 Competition Edition (1/100 numbered car) does have notable differences or advantages over an M6 Competition *Package* equipped car. I will try to list them in-depth for you below so you can understand the value differences, and determine if the Competition Edition's additional offerings are worth the additional spend based on your personal buy criteria and what matters to you.

First things of note are that the Competition Edition comes with *every* available option for the M6 (including the Competition *Package*) -- every one of the 100 is equipped this way, so you never have to worry about missing out on options. B&O, Executive Package, Driver Assistance, Ceramics, Black Full Merino Leather, Competition Package, and I'm pretty sure Night Vision as well. Your only variations in the cars you will see on the market is the color -- the car was only offered in Alpine White or Austin Yellow, which was the only way you could get this color on an M6. Based on what color the exterior of the car is, there is matching contrasting stitching on the black full merino as well, which is exclusive to these cars. They are also only sold in F13/Coupe configuration, so sadly no 4 door F06 Gran Coupe.

In addition to every option, the Competition Edition comes pre-equipped with every M Performance OEM add on for the M6:
  • Black Kidney Grilles (~$400)
  • Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers (~$800)
  • Carbon Fiber Decklid Spoiler (~$600)
  • Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser (~$900)
  • M Performance Titanium Exhaust (~$7,500)
  • Carbon Fiber ///M Exhaust Tips (~1,200)
  • Carbon Fiber DCT Shift Trim (~$250)
  • M Performance Alcantara Steering Wheel (~$1,000)

In total, about ~$12,500 worth of additional OEM BMW goodies on top of an already fully loaded car. I believe these all stickered at $167,xxx when new, so amazing value today when you consider everything the car has.

And then lastly, the Competition Edition has three spots with unique branded trim -- the front fender side markers and the door sill kick plates all have unique 'M6 Competition' branding on them and the cup holder lid has 'M6 Competition 1 of 100' on it.

Last edited by LJohnson32; 02-12-2021 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
Frupal785.00
      02-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #6
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
While I don't have any recommendations on which one to choose, other than get the best one you can afford.
One thing i always took from ads that would say, "never tracked" meant just the opposite to me.
You're right about both the things. How's the market going to be for M6? They depreciate so much that it's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
As far as I know, an M6 competition IS an M6 with the competition package. They are one and the same. I have test driven several of these and if I could offer any advice it would be to not buy them unless they were equipped with XDrive. Every M6 I have driven has been pretty much unable to hook up the rear tires. In my opinion, if you’re going to load up a 6 series with that much horsepower, you must have four wheel drive.
Does it really matter that much?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

M6s have now reached the near-bottom of their depreciation curve. Some points to note:

- The top M models (M5, M6 - now the M8) are always stickered really really high. They're typically leased new. Those that do buy new usually get significant discount over sticker right out the gate.

- This high initial price adds to the huge initial depreciation, though I don't think it is too dissimilar to the initial depreciation suffered by the top trim AMGs or RS models for comparison. If you consider something like an Audi RS7 - a low volume "coupe"-shaped, top trim sedan with c.550bhp+, these stickered new for c.$130k - very similar to the M6 Gran Coupe. The oldest model years for both cars are approaching 7-8 years old. RS7s now retail for $40k+ for 2014 models with average mileage (8-10k p/y). You'll see M6 Gran coupes with similar years/mileage also in this price bracket - so I think the extreme depreciation is common across the board for performance luxury german sedans/coupes.

- As for further depreciation, I've kept a cursory glance on the market over the past couple years and finding M6 GCs under $40k is rare unless they have significantly above average mileage or some kind of branded title (I haven't paid as close attention to the M6 Coupe pricing but it is not too dissimilar). Consider the V10 M6 (E63/64) - the first modern generation of "M6" since the 80's. These have fully depreciated, and now retail in the $20-30k range on average. The F series M6s (starting in 2012 for the Coupe) are now in the $30k+ range for the oldest/highest mileage examples. There really isn't much further for them to fall (on average). High mileage, now, is the biggest factor for these cars.

- Additionally, used car prices have firmed during the pandemic. I've kept an eye on the market to see how much my F06 has depreciated over the past 18 months since I purchased it, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're retailing for within 2-3% of what I paid. It's an awesome bonus as it drastically reduces the cost of ownership; what I would have lost on depreciation I spent on an extended (aftermarket) warranty and regular maintenance. My annual ownership costs are averaging c.$2k (warranty + service) with virtually 0 depreciation. Not everyone will have the same experience - you may get a more troublesome car or be doing heavy mileage, but buying at the bottom of the depreciation curve has allowed me to enjoy this land-missile for a fraction of the running costs vs buying new and suffering $10-20k depreciation p/y.

- Great info provided there by @LJohnson32. The "Competition Edition" limited run cars are gorgeous coming with every M accessory and some unique badging. It's up to debate (and the market) whether these will depreciate/hold value/appreciate more than "regular" M6s (I personally think they will do better) - only time will tell if the market values the 1 of 100 badge. Having said that you could look for a loaded M6 with the Competition package and make the personal choice of adding those M performance accessories yourself (besides the unique branding), while also have the choice of the Gran Coupe available too.

Edit - the F-series M6's did not come with AWD/X-Drive as an option
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #9
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550ihtown View Post
Does it really matter that much?
No, it doesn't -- as long as the right tires are on the car. In the summer, the 305 width Michelin PS4S rears I use do a fantastic job of maintaining grip even with DSC fully deactivated. I've heard that Pirelli P Zero's don't measure up as well, and that if you're really concerned about rear grip, Toyo R888's or Michelin Sport Cup 2's really lock you in. The RWD configuration combined with the 600hp S63 makes my ~4,400lb car feel like a rocket in a straight line but also as nimble as a car 70-80% of it's weight when everything is dialed into Sport Plus. After having several fast AWD Audi's that always felt mushy in corners, it's really a refreshing combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
M6s have now reached the near-bottom of their depreciation curve. Some points to note:

- The top M models (M5, M6 - now the M8) are always stickered really really high. They're typically leased new. Those that do buy new usually get significant discount over sticker right out the gate.

- This high initial price adds to the huge initial depreciation, though I don't think it is too dissimilar to the initial depreciation suffered by the top trim AMGs or RS models for comparison. If you consider something like an Audi RS7 - a low volume "coupe"-shaped, top trim sedan with c.550bhp+, these stickered new for c.$130k - very similar to the M6 Gran Coupe. The oldest model years for both cars are approaching 7-8 years old. RS7s now retail for $40k+ for 2014 models with average mileage (8-10k p/y). You'll see M6 Gran coupes with similar years/mileage also in this price bracket - so I think the extreme depreciation is common across the board for performance luxury german sedans/coupes.

- As for further depreciation, I've kept a cursory glance on the market over the past couple years and finding M6 GCs under $40k is rare unless they have significantly above average mileage or some kind of branded title (I haven't paid as close attention to the M6 Coupe pricing but it is not too dissimilar). Consider the V10 M6 (E63/64) - the first modern generation of "M6" since the 80's. These have fully depreciated, and now retail in the $20-30k range on average. The F series M6s (starting in 2012 for the Coupe) are now in the $30k+ range for the oldest/highest mileage examples. There really isn't much further for them to fall (on average). High mileage, now, is the biggest factor for these cars.

- Additionally, used car prices have firmed during the pandemic. I've kept an eye on the market to see how much my F06 has depreciated over the past 18 months since I purchased it, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're retailing for within 2-3% of what I paid. It's an awesome bonus as it drastically reduces the cost of ownership; what I would have lost on depreciation I spent on an extended (aftermarket) warranty and regular maintenance. My annual ownership costs are averaging c.$2k (warranty + service) with virtually 0 depreciation. Not everyone will have the same experience - you may get a more troublesome car or be doing heavy mileage, but buying at the bottom of the depreciation curve has allowed me to enjoy this land-missile for a fraction of the running costs vs buying new and suffering $10-20k depreciation p/y.
^^ Spot on, I have been very happy with the (lack of) depreciation on my M6 GC since I purchased it CPO back in May of last year.

Prior to purchasing my M6, I had been looking at RS7's and S63's as well. These cars certainly are a fantastic value if you buy them right and are willing to spend the time doing your due diligence on the maintenance/ownership history. While there are no doubt great buys to be had given what cars in this segment have to offer -- it's also easy to fall into an (expensive) trap a previous owner has set for you by not properly maintaining the car or abusing it -- especially when the oil has not reached operating temp.

This disparity of car conditions in the market is amplified by the point MMMM6GC noted above regarding a significant portion of these types of cars being leased from new. You could be looking at a car owned by the closet-car-guy exec who meticulously looked after the car, or you could be looking at a car leased by the guy who knows nothing about cars and just wants whatever his buddies say is cool because he has the money to burn, and doesn't care about it because he gives the car back at the end of the lease anyways. It sounds like the cars you're looking at should fall into the first category, but you can never be too sure. Still do your homework and investigate

Point being -- these cars offer amazing performance and ultimate comfort while being quite reliable *IF* you do your homework on the specific car(s) you're evaluating. An easy way to mitigate a huge chunk of your risk is buying CPO and/or backing it up with a solid warranty if you're able to build that into your budget. Avoiding these steps in your buy process and you're playing Russian Roulette

Quote:
The "Competition Edition" limited run cars are gorgeous coming with every M accessory and some unique badging. It's up to debate (and the market) whether these will depreciate/hold value/appreciate more than "regular" M6s (I personally think they will do better) - only time will tell if the market values the 1 of 100 badge.
I agree with your prediction on the Competition Edition holding up better over time as far as value. Generally speaking, numbered cars, fully loaded, with reasonably low mileage ends up being a recipe for success in the secondary market, especially as time passes.

If I was in the market for a coupe and didn't care about folding rear seats, an Alpine White Competition Edition would have been my choice.

Quote:
Having said that you could look for a loaded M6 with the Competition package and make the personal choice of adding those M performance accessories yourself (besides the unique branding), while also have the choice of the Gran Coupe available too.
Exactly what I did with my Gran Coupe Needing 4 doors and a place to put my skis meant that a Coupe / Competition Edition wouldn't work for me. Loved all the M Performance parts on the Competition Edition so I added them to the GC and couldn't be happier

Last edited by LJohnson32; 02-12-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      02-12-2021, 11:36 PM   #10
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
No, it doesn't -- as long as the right tires are on the car. In the summer, the 305 width Michelin PS4S rears I use do a fantastic job of maintaining grip even with DSC fully deactivated. I've heard that Pirelli P Zero's don't measure up as well, and that if you're really concerned about rear grip, Toyo R888's or Michelin Sport Cup 2's really lock you in. The RWD configuration combined with the 600hp S63 makes my ~4,400lb car feel like a rocket in a straight line but also as nimble as a car 70-80% of it's weight when everything is dialed into Sport Plus. After having several fast AWD Audi's that always felt mushy in corners, it's really a refreshing combo.

^^ Spot on, I have been very happy with the (lack of) depreciation on my M6 GC since I purchased it CPO back in May of last year.

Prior to purchasing my M6, I had been looking at RS7's and S63's as well. These cars certainly are a fantastic value if you buy them right and are willing to spend the time doing your due diligence on the maintenance/ownership history. While there are no doubt great buys to be had given what cars in this segment have to offer -- it's also easy to fall into an (expensive) trap a previous owner has set for you by not properly maintaining the car or abusing it -- especially when the oil has not reached operating temp.

This disparity of car conditions in the market is amplified by the point MMMM6GC noted above regarding a significant portion of these types of cars being leased from new. You could be looking at a car owned by the closet-car-guy exec who meticulously looked after the car, or you could be looking at a car leased by the guy who knows nothing about cars and just wants whatever his buddies say is cool because he has the money to burn, and doesn't care about it because he gives the car back at the end of the lease anyways. It sounds like the cars you're looking at should fall into the first category, but you can never be too sure. Still do your homework and investigate

Point being -- these cars offer amazing performance and ultimate comfort while being quite reliable *IF* you do your homework on the specific car(s) you're evaluating. An easy way to mitigate a huge chunk of your risk is buying CPO and/or backing it up with a solid warranty if you're able to build that into your budget. Avoiding these steps in your buy process and you're playing Russian Roulette

I agree with your prediction on the Competition Edition holding up better over time as far as value. Generally speaking, numbered cars, fully loaded, with reasonably low mileage ends up being a recipe for success in the secondary market, especially as time passes.

If I was in the market for a coupe and didn't care about folding rear seats, an Alpine White Competition Edition would have been my choice.

Exactly what I did with my Gran Coupe Needing 4 doors and a place to put my skis meant that a Coupe / Competition Edition wouldn't work for me. Loved all the M Performance parts on the Competition Edition so I added them to the GC and couldn't be happier
^^^^

This is the way.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
The M6 Competition Edition (1/100 numbered car) does have notable differences or advantages over an M6 Competition *Package* equipped car. I will try to list them in-depth for you below so you can understand the value differences, and determine if the Competition Edition's additional offerings are worth the additional spend based on your personal buy criteria and what matters to you.

First things of note are that the Competition Edition comes with *every* available option for the M6 (including the Competition *Package*) -- every one of the 100 is equipped this way, so you never have to worry about missing out on options. B&O, Executive Package, Driver Assistance, Ceramics, Black Full Merino Leather, Competition Package, and I'm pretty sure Night Vision as well. Your only variations in the cars you will see on the market is the color -- the car was only offered in Alpine White or Austin Yellow, which was the only way you could get this color on an M6. Based on what color the exterior of the car is, there is matching contrasting stitching on the black full merino as well, which is exclusive to these cars. They are also only sold in F13/Coupe configuration, so sadly no 4 door F06 Gran Coupe.

In addition to every option, the Competition Edition comes pre-equipped with every M Performance OEM add on for the M6:

In total, about ~$12,500 worth of additional OEM BMW goodies on top of an already fully loaded car. I believe these all stickered at $167,xxx when new, so amazing value today when you consider everything the car has.

And then lastly, the Competition Edition has three spots with unique branded trim -- the front fender side markers and the door sill kick plates all have unique 'M6 Competition' branding on them and the cup holder lid has 'M6 Competition 1 of 100' on it.
I stand corrected. I did not know about this model.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I stand corrected. I did not know about this model.
I don't blame you — BMW didn't necessarily do a great job making them easily distinguishable as far as naming the car — I'm sure most people at first glance would view 'Competition Edition' and 'Competition Package' as interchangeable.
      02-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

In the UK M6 with competition package are rarer and commands a premium of about £3000-£5000.00 over non Comp M6 of the same age and mileage. There were no AWD/Xdrive M6 in the UK, so making current M5 and M550I, m850i and M8 making M6 less attractive.
      03-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
VCM
Rep
Drives: M6 GC Individual Manufaktur

Quote:

Not "Competition Edition" but I was extremely lucky to get my hands on "Manufacturer Edition" M6GC 1 of only 5 made(I think only on Canadian market)

It comes with every option except for Night Vision(too bad...)
Most of M Performance options like on your list except for carbon mirror covers, shift trim and steering wheel. It does come with CCB as well.

These "Manufacturer Edition" comes with Frozen Black exterior with all blacked out trims like front and side grills, door handles. no chromes.
Interior is Full Merino Leather and Piano Black trims.
Appreciate 0