BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
BMWRoverFtw
Rep
Drives:

Hit a curb... now chassis malfunction among others

I was riding with my wife and in all efforts to avoid a crash with truck she clipped the curb pretty hard. We successfully avoided an accident however in the seconds following we got the following messages on the iDrive.

2014 650i
-Chassis Function Restricted error
-Chassis stabilization error
-frontal collision warning system error
-Daytime pedestrian warning limited error

Once home, I removed both the front wheels and the drivers side lower control arm (one with the strut attached) is clearly bent compared to the straight one on the other side. Alignment is completely out of wack.

Searching on the forums, it looks like poor alignment could cause these errors on the iDrive. I think they are all related. Anyone else been in this situation?

I have ordered both lower control arms and hope the iDrive errors clear with the new parts and an alignment. I also hope the steering the box is still healthy.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
BMWRoverFtw
Rep
Drives:

Well if anyone stumbles across this, a really poor alignment CAN cause the errors above. I just replaced the lower control arms and took it for a drive with no errors. I am still going to get it aligned as there is a very slight pull but a landslide better then limping it home. Here is a picture of the control arms. The front thrust or torsion arm didn’t have any damage but I didn’t know when I was ordering so I replaced it anyway. The other however took all the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
MMMM6GC275.00
      07-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRoverFtw View Post
Well if anyone stumbles across this, a really poor alignment CAN cause the errors above. I just replaced the lower control arms and took it for a drive with no errors. I am still going to get it aligned as there is a very slight pull but a landslide better then limping it home. Here is a picture of the control arms. The front thrust or torsion arm didn’t have any damage but I didn’t know when I was ordering so I replaced it anyway. The other however took all the damage.
Glad it is all well for you now.
Thanks for sharing this information.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #4
IrvvyBaun
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRoverFtw View Post
I was riding with my wife and in all efforts to avoid a crash with truck she clipped the curb pretty hard. We successfully avoided an accident however in the seconds following we got the following messages on the iDrive.

2014 650i
-Chassis Function Restricted error
-Chassis stabilization error
-frontal collision warning system error
-Daytime pedestrian warning limited error

Once home, I removed both the front wheels and the drivers side lower control arm (one with the strut attached) is clearly bent compared to the straight one on the other side. Alignment is completely out of wack.

Searching on the forums, it looks like poor alignment could cause these errors on the iDrive. I think they are all related. Anyone else been in this situation?

I have ordered both lower control arms and hope the iDrive errors clear with the new parts and an alignment. I also hope the steering the box is still healthy.
Hey I was wondering the update on this? I just hit a curb on a snow day in my 2015 428i gran coupe xdrive and got that alarm my right wheel looks bent. Was this hard to fix?
      02-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvvyBaun View Post
Hey I was wondering the update on this? I just hit a curb on a snow day in my 2015 428i gran coupe xdrive and got that alarm my right wheel looks bent. Was this hard to fix?
Obviously your damage may be totally different than his, and you may indeed have only a bent wheel. Replacing suspension arms is not "hard" if you know what you are doing and have the tool to break ball joints apart, but it's more of a brute strength job than anything else. If you are not generally a DIY person I'd say you might regret trying.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my 2015 BMW 320, it turns out that I had a ball joint issue, I heard a rattling noise while I’m driving the other day then the error code popped up. I took it to the shop so I can replace it immediately because it affects my driving and control of the car. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " BMW chassis stabilization malfunction drive moderately on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0