BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Door unlock question

Sorry if im just overlooking something in the settings, but is there a way to change how the doors unlock? Right now, when i turn the car off, i have to pull the door handle once to unlock the door, then again to open it. Is there a way to change that to when the door handle is pulled, it unlocks and opens? I think if i drove this car exclusively i would probably get use to it, but i dont and it get annoying trying to open the door on the first pull. thx
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog2964 View Post
Sorry if im just overlooking something in the settings, but is there a way to change how the doors unlock? Right now, when i turn the car off, i have to pull the door handle once to unlock the door, then again to open it. Is there a way to change that to when the door handle is pulled, it unlocks and opens? I think if i drove this car exclusively i would probably get use to it, but i dont and it get annoying trying to open the door on the first pull. thx
IIRC, within the BimmerCode app (requires an OBDII bluetooth plugin) I was able to reconfigure the unlock behavior. I switched it to unlocking when the ignition is switched off, made much more sense to me than pulling the handle twice. Same thing for the infotainment, instead of having to double press the ignition button it just shuts down the infotainment with the first press like a normal car.
      10-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

That can be changed in Bimmercode, an easy to use app that just requires the app and a wireless dongle for your OBDII port. You can make the door unlock on first pull, make the nav/radio shut off when the door is opened if you don't want people walking by to know you listen to opera, you can get rid of the legal warning on your screen when you start the car, you can get rid of the seatbelt chime - you can even make your screen play DVD movies while driving. The Bimmercode site will give you a list of all the changes you can make by model.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
That can be changed in Bimmercode, an easy to use app that just requires the app and a wireless dongle for your OBDII port. You can make the door unlock on first pull, make the nav/radio shut off when the door is opened if you don't want people walking by to know you listen to opera, you can get rid of the legal warning on your screen when you start the car, you can get rid of the seatbelt chime - you can even make your screen play DVD movies while driving. The Bimmercode site will give you a list of all the changes you can make by model.
THats really cool, and a bit scary. Assuming that if i just mess with the lock/unlock feature i wont screw anything up...
I really assumed that would just be a setting in the settings menu. I have never seen that 2 pull door unlock function on any other car. odd
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
THats really cool, and a bit scary. Assuming that if i just mess with the lock/unlock feature i wont screw anything up...
I really assumed that would just be a setting in the settings menu. I have never seen that 2 pull door unlock function on any other car. odd
You can reverse it just as easy. Bimmercode has regular mode, which it defaults to, and expert mode, which you have to intentionally enter after it asks you if you are sure. The regular mode is is about as user friendly as iDrive, expert mode is in Swahili.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
I have never seen that 2 pull door unlock function on any other car. odd
Just about every new in the last few years has it. It's a safety implementation. The first pull unlocks the door. The second pull opens the door. If driving an automatic transmission car and the car is set to unlock the doors when the car is placed in park, a single pull will again open the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #7
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Just about every new in the last few years has it. It's a safety implementation. The first pull unlocks the door. The second pull opens the door. If driving an automatic transmission car and the car is set to unlock the doors when the car is placed in park, a single pull will again open the door.
Not sure i 100% agree with that. I have a 2021 GX460, 2020 Armada, and just got rid of a 2019 Expedition, all of which were a single door handle pull to open the door and they all automatacilly unlocked the doors when turned off. I also travel a lot, at least before covid, and i dont remember ever renting a car that required 2 door handle pulls to open the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
…they all automatacilly unlocked the doors when turned off.
Now…that engineering design I find very unerving. If I was driving where I felt more secure with the doors locked…the last thing I would want is ALL the doors to unlock AUTOMATICALLY as soon as I shut the car off. How is that safe? That would leave me vulnerable for anyone with dishonorable intentions near the car…to be able to gain access as soon as the engine was turned off.

I like BMW’s engineering design that allows me to select if I only want the driver’s door to unlock…and the other doors to remain locked and can only be opened by passengers inside the vehicle when they are ready to leave the vehicle (when it is safe)….or I can press one simple button and all the doors unlock.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Now…that engineering design I find very unerving. If I was driving where I felt more secure with the doors locked…the last thing I would want is ALL the doors to unlock AUTOMATICALLY as soon as I shut the car off. How is that safe? That would leave me vulnerable for anyone with dishonorable intentions near the car…to be able to gain access as soon as the engine was turned off.

I like BMW’s engineering design that allows me to select if I only want the driver’s door to unlock…and the other doors to remain locked and can only be opened by passengers inside the vehicle when they are ready to leave the vehicle (when it is safe)….or I can press one simple button and all the doors unlock.
There was a tragic exploitation of this vulnerability ten years ago when US Special Agent Zapata's armored suburban unlocked itself:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...KFR_story.html

I dislike this auto-unlock "feature", too. I would rather do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
Not sure i 100% agree with that. I have a 2021 GX460, 2020 Armada, and just got rid of a 2019 Expedition, all of which were a single door handle pull to open the door and they all automatacilly unlocked the doors when turned off. I also travel a lot, at least before covid, and i dont remember ever renting a car that required 2 door handle pulls to open the door.
The automatic unlocking of all of the doors or just the driver's door (I prefer just the driver's door) when turning off the car has been a setting I can adjust in all of the cars I've owned in a good while.

As far as the double pull, the last few Audis I've owned do it, the last few BMWs I've owned do it, the '19 Volvo I own does it, and I know Chevys and VWs do it.

Okay, correction, not all of the new cars, but a number of them do it. I guess I'm used to it to the point I don't think about it. I do the action so fast it almost becomes a single pull.

Apologies for the slight derail. I'll show myself out.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:06 AM   #11
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the responses and i got my OBD dongle yesterday so ill be beamercoding that little feature away... Thanks again Opie55 for the recommendation. After doing a little research, seems like quite a few canned changes i can make without messing things up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...As far as the double pull... the last few BMWs I've owned do it...Apologies for the slight derail. I'll show myself out.
Before you leave...just thought I'd mention that you may find future BMWs have gone to a single pull. My F15 X5 (prior to any Bimmercode app changes) only required a single pull. It startled me at first...I thought something may have been wrong with my doors...but the old BMW "2-pull" may be going by the wayside.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses and i got my OBD dongle yesterday so ill be beamercoding that little feature away... Thanks again Opie55 for the recommendation. After doing a little research, seems like quite a few canned changes i can make without messing things up.
Bimmercode is a beautiful thing. I have coded out a fair few things to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Before you leave...just thought I'd mention that you may find future BMWs have gone to a single pull. My F15 X5 (prior to any Bimmercode app changes) only required a single pull. It startled me at first...I thought something may have been wrong with my doors...but the old BMW "2-pull" may be going by the wayside.
Are you referring to your '14? My '16 and '17 BMWs still have the double pull, and well, if they go to a single pull that is fine. I'll adapt to whatever these manufacturers decide to change to. Hell, soon they'll all just have buttons that we press to open the doors.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

I was in a 850 GC on the my dealers showroom floor and it still has the double pull.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again for the beamer code suggestion. Got rid of the double door pull to open the doors, but lots of other neat stuff in there too. Was worried about changing settings in there at first, but it works great. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to your '14? My '16 and '17 BMWs still have the double pull, and well, if they go to a single pull that is fine. I'll adapt to whatever these manufacturers decide to change to. Hell, soon they'll all just have buttons that we press to open the doors.
Yes…my 2014 f15 X5 is a single pull (front doors only)…my f06 650ix GC is still the old double pull on all 4 doors.

Appreciate 0