BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #23
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
What is IAS?
Integrated Active Steering. Basically rear wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #24
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

So Op did you get the f06 then? I had an e46 for 11 years before upgrading - lets face it fixing constant little things gets tiring. 640i GC is a beautiful car, no regrets here, gets enough looks & comments wherever I go.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #25
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘03 530iA Sport

Nope not yet. My E39 is still going strong but current used car prices are very discouraging. I’m still looking for the right 640i GC. Prefer an Individual interior (White/Amaro Brown or Opal White) on Moonstone or some type of silver exterior with B&O and M-Sport would be most ideal. I saw a Moonstone/Champagne 640i a few months back but it wasn’t well equipped at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:25 AM   #26
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Understandable. I was patient as well waiting for the right one. Didn't take long to realise its going to be difficult getting all of the options, so I went for as much as I could get with intention of retrofitting later on. Got active cruise (dislike without, showing blank buttons on steering wheel), driving assist (lane departure warning, front collision, heads up) (3 buttons below light switch) on m sport, that's it. Already retrofitted comfort seats, and have parts for rear view camera ready. In future may do night vision, surround view, rear blinds. Also on list is leather glove box lid. But know what you mean with options, buyer's remorse is not enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #27
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know it will take time but I'm willing to wait especially with the current used car prices for the right car. Maybe over time I will soften up, but my E39 is sufficient for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #28
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
I currently daily drive a pretty special to me, 2003 BMW 530i (bluewater exterior with an "individual" oyster white interior on OEM M-parallel wheels). I have enjoyed the E39 platform with the I6 for almost 10 years and am thinking that it's almost time to move on. It was the first car I purchased for myself and the car that I learned to wrench on so I have really fond feelings of it. I'm certainly biased when it comes to giving the E39 all of the accolades I think it deserves, but I realize that the platform is getting outdated and it's coming to the point where the next expensive overhaul will be looming soon (brakes, wheel bearings, total suspension rebuild). There's a reason that there are no well maintained 530i E39s anymore; it's very difficult to justify the cost of a $5k bill on a car that's now worth $3k. Generally speaking only the more collectable 540i M sport and M5's will be some what financially worthwhile making it past 20 years old.

But I digress. I love the balance of the E39 but there's one major thing that always really bothered me; Road/wind noise. I'm wondering if the F06 is a much quieter car? After a stressful day at work I just want to ride back in silence while enjoying my music. I mean the more like it's like a bank vault the better. Any options I should be looking at (do double paned windows exist?!) to help with noise? I realize that it's not a Rolls Royce but I just want to get a sense of how quiet these GT cars are in the inside.

Ideally I'm also looking for a 640i with the Sport package, rear wheel steering, air suspension, soft close doors, , electric sunblinds, HUD, comfort sport seats and the upgraded sound system. A white interior like my current car would be a plus (it's hot in Houston, TX). Are all these options even popular among 640i owners in one car? I'm wondering it there are people out there that think like me and prefer a highly optioned out I6 instead of a M6 for the ultimate DD.

If anyone moved from the E39 to the F06 6 series family of cars, let me know what you thought! Thanks.
I've had a 2016 535 all wheel drive fully loaded and currently have a 2016 640 coupe fully loaded without B&O and night vision. Way more room for the driver and definitely passengers in the 535. Both drove extremely well. However the 6 is one of the most beautiful cars BMW has ever made. I'm 6'3 so take that into consideration but I love my 6 to death, but the 535 was way more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:55 PM   #29
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm 5'4" so the car should be ok for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #30
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
I currently daily drive a pretty special to me, 2003 BMW 530i (bluewater exterior with an "individual" oyster white interior on OEM M-parallel wheels). I have enjoyed the E39 platform with the I6 for almost 10 years and am thinking that it's almost time to move on. It was the first car I purchased for myself and the car that I learned to wrench on so I have really fond feelings of it. I'm certainly biased when it comes to giving the E39 all of the accolades I think it deserves, but I realize that the platform is getting outdated and it's coming to the point where the next expensive overhaul will be looming soon (brakes, wheel bearings, total suspension rebuild). There's a reason that there are no well maintained 530i E39s anymore; it's very difficult to justify the cost of a $5k bill on a car that's now worth $3k. Generally speaking only the more collectable 540i M sport and M5's will be some what financially worthwhile making it past 20 years old.

But I digress. I love the balance of the E39 but there's one major thing that always really bothered me; Road/wind noise. I'm wondering if the F06 is a much quieter car? After a stressful day at work I just want to ride back in silence while enjoying my music. I mean the more like it's like a bank vault the better. Any options I should be looking at (do double paned windows exist?!) to help with noise? I realize that it's not a Rolls Royce but I just want to get a sense of how quiet these GT cars are in the inside.

Ideally I'm also looking for a 640i with the Sport package, rear wheel steering, air suspension, soft close doors, , electric sunblinds, HUD, comfort sport seats and the upgraded sound system. A white interior like my current car would be a plus (it's hot in Houston, TX). Are all these options even popular among 640i owners in one car? I'm wondering it there are people out there that think like me and prefer a highly optioned out I6 instead of a M6 for the ultimate DD.

If anyone moved from the E39 to the F06 6 series family of cars, let me know what you thought! Thanks.
Can't go wrong with a 6 series. My 640 all wheel drive has plenty of power and torque for me.
Appreciate 0