BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

New motor delivered today from BMW. I will keep posted on the install. Very excited to get this job going and done. I can and will post pictures. Below is the blown engine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Shit. I don't know how to add more pictures. Anyone that knows please help.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
Shit. I don't know how to add more pictures. Anyone that knows please help.
Upload photos to your UserCP "Pictures & Albums" above, then Copy and Paste the "Picture URL" of the photo you want to paste to the "Insert Image" icon when you reply to a thread. At least that's how I do it....

Congrats on getting this motor thingy resolved in a most favorable way!

L
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Is this being done at a BMW dealership?
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:24 PM   #5
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

No I actually run a new car dealership. And have nothing but respect for my shop foreman. He is almost finished with it after two days. The job calls for 39 hours. These guys are seriously like trained surgeons. Over $31,000 in parts at cost from BMW. Plus all the labor etc. I will probably be driving it by Saturday. And then bring to tuner soon after the break in period. Some may think I'm crazy not doing this at BMW dealer. But I have way more control doing it at my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
...And then bring to tuner soon after the break in period
May I recommend using a more mass-market tuning company this go around like BM3 or DME Tuning (hell, even Dinan) for peace-of-mind's sake...?

Still seems like more than a coincidence to me that your previous engine popped shortly after your visit with a tuner local to you. If you're wanting to turn the car into a full blown monster, DME can do that for you and many forum users have had success both with performance and long term reliability using them.

Free to do whatever you like, I just would be very cautious not to repeat any part of the process that led up to the previous failure in fear that maybe the tune did play a role. Then again, it could possibly have had no influence at all, as we don't know the true root cause of the bearings prematurely failing.

Just my $.02... (not that you asked)
      01-23-2021, 01:49 AM   #7
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
May I recommend using a more mass-market tuning company this go around like BM3 or DME Tuning (hell, even Dinan) for peace-of-mind's sake...?

Still seems like more than a coincidence to me that your previous engine popped shortly after your visit with a tuner local to you. If you're wanting to turn the car into a full blown monster, DME can do that for you and many forum users have had success both with performance and long term reliability using them.

Free to do whatever you like, I just would be very cautious not to repeat any part of the process that led up to the previous failure in fear that maybe the tune did play a role. Then again, it could possibly have had no influence at all, as we don't know the true root cause of the bearings prematurely failing.

This guy just doesn't "get it" - puts some unknown tune on an auction car, pops the motor, blames BMW for being shit... puts new motor in, goes back to unknown tuner right after break in... still seems to think it's BMW's fault.
Appreciate 4
jjasonSU194.00
mikerx5461.00
DRKNTM615.50
      01-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post

This guy just doesn't "get it" - puts some unknown tune on an auction car, pops the motor, blames BMW for being shit... puts new motor in, goes back to unknown tuner right after break in... still seems to think it's BMW's fault.
Marcus. I don't know why your constantly on my back. First off. Never blamed BMW. Secondly. Just because you don't know the tuner doesn't mean they aren't capable. And your damn right I am going to go back to them to make it right. I spent $3600 there. They are well known in the valley for tuning Lambos, Ferrari's, Mclaren's etc. If you lived in Phoenix then I would welcome your constant criticism. Thirdly. I have done nothing different than the majority of everyone on this forum has done to their car. It's so funny to me that the two basic mods I have done were those recommended by everyone here. I just don't get your constant attack on me, my car, and most of all my situation that I had to deal with. So much hate. How about just don't respond anymore. If you think I'm bashing BMW and that I am an idiot. Something just doesn't seem right with you. I'm a bad person because I bought a car from an auction being that I have dealer access. I put down pipes and a tune. Car breaks. I was smart enough to buy a warranty for three years. It saved me. Maybe I should not have fixed the car and just threw away $55,000 and moved on. To save you from being so bothered by my situation.

Last edited by ppasiakos; 01-23-2021 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Im glad you are getting your car fixed and I feel your pain , I just blew my engine as well its been tuned for 2 years DME stage 3 36K miles,stage 3 is just for 93 octane, anyway I knew for awhile it was a gamble tuning a stock engine but I wasn't pushing the limits with a moon map,
I religiously changed my oil every 2.5K miles but my car was damaged due to a faulty fuel injector not a rod bearing ,im sure I have a damaged piston ,The S63 doesnt have forged pistons or connecting rods and is the weak point of the engine
the engine can be tuned way beyond its power holding limits, come on if Dodge ,Ford and Chevy use forged BMW certainly can

Believe me you and I aren't the only ones going through this there are several shops that I know these engines coming in blown by the droves M5s M6s X5Ms, some getting moon maps blowing ,some with fuel injectors ,some with bad connecting rod bearings, rods bending like pretzel sticks I also see the new F90 M5s and M8s coming in blown as well ,one engine builder told me they were even worse.Alot of the new M5 and M8s are getting brought right to shops to have the upgrade pistons and connecting rods installed to avoid the boom

Some people feel the car shouldn't get touched thats the way its designed from the factory and I respect that but being an M car all about performance I believe most of us want to modify them and thats why we buy them.
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the reply. I'm well aware that we are not unique in the slightest. So I drove my car home today. New motor. New turbos. $47,000 of parts and labor. And I agree that this thing should be able to handle some mods especially at a cost of $35,000 for an M motor. Looking back. I do not think my tune and down pipes had anything to do with my bearings going out. I literally put 2,300 miles on the car since purchase. About 1,500 of those with the mods. Always let the car warm up for 5 minutes minimum. I just don't believe it was me. Had to be something lurking from before I purchased. Either way. I know my situation is in no way unique.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Not sure if this is your routine but I have been told that parked engine warm ups are not that good for the S63tu. Miles driven don't necessarily dictate failure rates as we have a lot of folks with both modded and unmodded engines with lots of miles. Thermal degeneration by way of restrictions of flow through journals due to particulate or flaw and/or thinning oil due to high engine temps usually drive these sort of problems

Congrats on the speedy recovery. Glad to hear ya got your car back and back on the road.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:29 AM   #12
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Marcus. I don't know why your constantly on my back. First off. Never blamed BMW. Secondly. Just because you don't know the tuner doesn't mean they aren't capable. And your damn right I am going to go back to them to make it right. I spent $3600 there. They are well known in the valley for tuning Lambos, Ferrari's, Mclaren's etc. If you lived in Phoenix then I would welcome your constant criticism. Thirdly. I have done nothing different than the majority of everyone on this forum has done to their car. It's so funny to me that the two basic mods I have done were those recommended by everyone here. I just don't get your constant attack on me, my car, and most of all my situation that I had to deal with. So much hate. How about just don't respond anymore. If you think I'm bashing BMW and that I am an idiot. Something just doesn't seem right with you. I'm a bad person because I bought a car from an auction being that I have dealer access. I put down pipes and a tune. Car breaks. I was smart enough to buy a warranty for three years. It saved me. Maybe I should not have fixed the car and just threw away $55,000 and moved on. To save you from being so bothered by my situation.
I don't have issue with you and honestly I'm happy your car is back on the road.

What you have to realize is your posts on here haven't been very transparent and as a matter of fact you did initially blame BMW for the failure. I can understand being upset at having a motor pop, it sucks. You came on here and posted about it, but you don't seem very willing to take advice or - gasp - criticism. You're just kind of set in your ways which is fine - it's your car and your money.

My most recent post, perhaps a little harsh, is that many of us have indicated to you that it is unlikely a manufacturing defect. We don't have all the information we would need to make a proper diagnosis but I am awfully suspect that you put a tune on the car and then magically in 1500mi the car pops. Maybe there's some other failure point, but that's very, very suspect to me. They would have been the first person I would have called if I was in your situation. I probably would have had them disassemble the car as well.

But, I digress, once again it is your car and your money. You are not obligated to listen to any of us, but there's not a chance I would take my car back to this tuner and you should rest assured I'd be taking back my $3600 if my motor blew 1500 mi after they put some no-name tune on my stock low mileage car.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

My car M6GC Comp March 2017 production date, always automatically has a fan/ some sort of fan under the bonnet on for more than 30mina after turning off the engine. Is it not so for every other M6? The engine is s63T. Different from s63TU or the same?
      01-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #14
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Not sure if this is your routine but I have been told that parked engine warm ups are not that good for the S63tu. Miles driven don't necessarily dictate failure rates as we have a lot of folks with both modded and unmodded engines with lots of miles. Thermal degeneration by way of restrictions of flow through journals due to particulate or flaw and/or thinning oil due to high engine temps usually drive these sort of problems

Congrats on the speedy recovery. Glad to hear ya got your car back and back on the road.
Yeah this is what I've heard as well. My personal practice has been to start driving within 10-15 seconds of startup and keep it under 2500-3000 RPM until it warms up.
All the best to the OP with the new engine install!
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #15
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
My car M6GC Comp March 2017 production date, always automatically has a fan/ some sort of fan under the bonnet on for more than 30mina after turning off the engine. Is it not so for every other M6? The engine is s63T. Different from s63TU or the same?
It is normal for the fan to stay on after turning the car off, especially after pushing it hard. I'm not sure it should stay on for 30 mins, though. I would say mine cuts off after 10 mins or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #16
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Im glad you are getting your car fixed and I feel your pain , I just blew my engine as well its been tuned for 2 years DME stage 3 36K miles,stage 3 is just for 93 octane, anyway I knew for awhile it was a gamble tuning a stock engine but I wasn't pushing the limits with a moon map,
I religiously changed my oil every 2.5K miles but my car was damaged due to a faulty fuel injector not a rod bearing ,im sure I have a damaged piston ,The S63 doesnt have forged pistons or connecting rods and is the weak point of the engine
the engine can be tuned way beyond its power holding limits, come on if Dodge ,Ford and Chevy use forged BMW certainly can

Believe me you and I aren't the only ones going through this there are several shops that I know these engines coming in blown by the droves M5s M6s X5Ms, some getting moon maps blowing ,some with fuel injectors ,some with bad connecting rod bearings, rods bending like pretzel sticks I also see the new F90 M5s and M8s coming in blown as well ,one engine builder told me they were even worse.Alot of the new M5 and M8s are getting brought right to shops to have the upgrade pistons and connecting rods installed to avoid the boom

Some people feel the car shouldn't get touched thats the way its designed from the factory and I respect that but being an M car all about performance I believe most of us want to modify them and thats why we buy them.
Damn this is discouraging to hear, I had been looking at your car build/maintenance on the forums as justification/inspiration to send mine to DME to get at least stage 2. I'm sure it comes down to luck/build date but still it does set in some hesitation.
Appreciate 0