BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Insurance

I’m insured through Costco. Great prices, great service.

Yesterday I saw a 2022 M5 Competition advertised in the Auto trader from a BMW Dealer in Lubbock, Texas. With the options it had it MSRP’d at about $112K. They had offered it for $104,000.

So I called the insurance folks to see how much more I would have to pay. As of now, I’m paying about $2k/year for a 2016 640 GC. The new car would only increase that to $2300. I decided to pull the metaphoric trigger.

Called the dealer and was told that the car had sold 3 weeks ago. I think 3 weeks is a too long to leave an ad up after the sale. 3 days is too long. I suspect they just want to get people on the phone.

That’s all right. What I really want is an 8 GC. I’m also thinking about the coupe. I don’t think I’ve used my back seat for anything but groceries for over a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I work at a Jaguar Land Rover dealer, and I often get inquiries on sold cars a few days after, with the sources usually being 3rd party listings like Auto Trader, CarGurus, Cars.com, etc. They're usually gone within a week but 3 weeks is certainly excessive. As far as our personal website, it's usually deleted within 24 hours of it selling.

That M5 sounded like a steal, especially considering that most dealers are charging heavy market adjustments on brand new models, and most pre-owned low mile models going for sticker.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't give them enough credit to conclude they are making a conscious decision to leave ads up to generate traffic. It sold, so now let's chase the next dollar. It is somebody's job to put the ads up, but I'll bet the job training was far less robust on taking them down.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      10-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
I work at a Jaguar Land Rover dealer, and I often get inquiries on sold cars a few days after, with the sources usually being 3rd party listings like Auto Trader, CarGurus, Cars.com, etc. They're usually gone within a week but 3 weeks is certainly excessive. As far as our personal website, it's usually deleted within 24 hours of it selling.

That M5 sounded like a steal, especially considering that most dealers are charging heavy market adjustments on brand new models, and most pre-owned low mile models going for sticker.
That’s why I got all excited and decided to go for it. Back to my original plan; wait until next fall when I believe that the car market will return to sanity.
Appreciate 0