BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-31-2023, 01:15 AM   #1
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

screen wash bottle removal ?

as title,i cannot for the life of me find one for the f series f12/13/06 etc,,i can find loads,and i suspect similar to the f13 ,,likes of f30/31 etc,,my washers are very weak,i put a little bleach and steredant tablets in bottle,as i suspect the filter is blocked,,this seems the case as the jets got a little better when i was syphonong some into a bottle with jet hose under bonnet disconnected,but now nothing,im gonna syphon all the liquid out today with a pump,then try hot water and steredant tablets,but i really want to get bottle and or filter out,watched loads of youtube vids,,ie wheel off,rear of arch liner off etc,but need to know before i delve into it what to exactly expect.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:49 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

fixed for now,,pumped out with electric pump,put hot water in,half full,pumped out,repeated then filled with hot water again,only 1 .5l, tried jets unplugged,into a seperate pop bottle,,,then tried,,so working,altho could be better,so a proper flush with more time for bleach etc to work with hot water,do this if they get weaker,so much easier than pulling front apart,,didnt fancy it today as winds are like 45 mph,so dangerous with bonnet up and on jacks etc..over and out,hope it helps someone..ps might try drain cleaner next time as ive researched it and hets better results,but i didnt have any to hand,,
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 05:44 AM   #3
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

hi.
i see you are in the uk.
i removed my 640d washer bottle on my old 62 reg.640d.
if you jack the car up and remove the drivers front wheel,then remove the rear half of the inner wheel arch cover,the half nearest the door.you will then see the washer bottle..its longish and thinish,vertical..
removal is easy.if i remember the bottle has a peg on the bottom that sits in a locating hole and a couple of 10mm bolts higher up the bottle.
take care as there are 2 pumps in the bottle.one for the headlight washers and one for the windscreen..on some later bmws they only have one pump which spins one way for headlight wash and the other way for windsceen wash.when i did mine i put a blob of tippex on one pump and the bottle next to that pump so i didnt get the pumps mixed up.
i recall it took approx 30 minits to remove the bottle,hardest bit was removing inner wheel arch cover.
the gauze filter is in the bottle where the pump pushes in...it is possible to loose the filter into the bottle but should come out at the filling neck.
as you know our 6 series has 3 washer jets but in all 4 640d iv driven non of those had fantastic jets of water.
you can easy do this job on your drive.allow 90mins ish,,
some people say only use bmw screenwash as cheap stuff goes jelly like after time and blocks the filters.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
hi.
i see you are in the uk.
i removed my 640d washer bottle on my old 62 reg.640d.
if you jack the car up and remove the drivers front wheel,then remove the rear half of the inner wheel arch cover,the half nearest the door.you will then see the washer bottle..its longish and thinish,vertical..
removal is easy.if i remember the bottle has a peg on the bottom that sits in a locating hole and a couple of 10mm bolts higher up the bottle.
take care as there are 2 pumps in the bottle.one for the headlight washers and one for the windscreen..on some later bmws they only have one pump which spins one way for headlight wash and the other way for windsceen wash.when i did mine i put a blob of tippex on one pump and the bottle next to that pump so i didnt get the pumps mixed up.
i recall it took approx 30 minits to remove the bottle,hardest bit was removing inner wheel arch cover.
the gauze filter is in the bottle where the pump pushes in...it is possible to loose the filter into the bottle but should come out at the filling neck.
as you know our 6 series has 3 washer jets but in all 4 640d iv driven non of those had fantastic jets of water.
you can easy do this job on your drive.allow 90mins ish,,
some people say only use bmw screenwash as cheap stuff goes jelly like after time and blocks the filters.
ye cheers,thought as much as its virtually same on all f series,but mine are working even better now,about 40 mins total and no panels to remove the way i did it,,in summer im gonna wait till fluid is low,syphon the rest out and give it a prope soak with some chemicals,then fill and syphon a good few times,,
Appreciate 0