BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
kenstar101
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i convertible

2013 m6 feedback

hey guys i'm interested in purchasing a m6 i seen one good mileage 31k blue exterior red interior and is still under extended warranty what are some comin problems that i should look out for or should i get a newer year
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I bought a '13 just about this time last year, and *knocks wood* it's been trouble free so far. I did, however, also buy an extended warranty as well, just in case. Fortunately, this engine is reportedly one of BMW's more reliable.

My recommendation would be to have a BMW dealership - NOT an independent shop - do a thorough Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) on the car to know what you're getting into.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Why not an indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
kenstar101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
I bought a '13 just about this time last year, and *knocks wood* it's been trouble free so far. I did, however, also buy an extended warranty as well, just in case. Fortunately, this engine is reportedly one of BMW's more reliable.

My recommendation would be to have a BMW dealership - NOT an independent shop - do a thorough Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) on the car to know what you're getting into.
that's great news so far 😊
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
kenstar101
Rep

Quote:

how many miles if you don't mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstar101 View Post
hey guys i'm interested in purchasing a m6 i seen one good mileage 31k blue exterior red interior and is still under extended warranty what are some comin problems that i should look out for or should i get a newer year
He said 31k.

Nice color as long as you have extended warranty I don’t see any problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Everything and anything for a turbo M car. Budget about $1k per year for fixes and another $1k for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
powahousealex
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw m3

I have only had my car for 2 months and i cant say that i am very happy with my car(15 model). I work on all of my cars and always do research on the assembly of an engine and try to find any flaws in the engine blueprint or especially in the cooling system since bmw is notorious for having weak cooling system or engine issues like in the e9x motors or differentials issues in the e46 m3. The only issue i can see is the cooling system and the amount of radiators that it has. .there is a very informative and detailed pdf file on here about the s63 engine i recommend you read up on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
Why not an indy shop?
Unless they're BMW experts, indy shops will only look at basics and not know the idiosyncrasies of this car or how to read and interpret codes. Just because a car isn't leaking fluid and "seems" to be running well, doesn't mean it may not be a ticking time bomb. If a regular BMW dealership signs off on the inspection, I have more confidence I can hold their feet to the fire if something goes wrong. Besides, BMW NA takes their reputation seriously, and they have deep pockets to make something right if one of their dealers dropped the ball.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Unless they're BMW experts, indy shops will only look at basics and not know the idiosyncrasies of this car or how to read and interpret codes. Just because a car isn't leaking fluid and "seems" to be running well, doesn't mean it may not be a ticking time bomb. If a regular BMW dealership signs off on the inspection, I have more confidence I can hold their feet to the fire if something goes wrong. Besides, BMW NA takes their reputation seriously, and they have deep pockets to make something right if one of their dealers dropped the ball.
Right, so I wouldn't lump all "Indy shops" together. Not all BMW dealers are created equal either. Just have to find the place that suites your needs.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      02-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

i buy all my parts from fcpeuro for their lifetime warranty. I do all my own maintenance, its not very hard. i think i have spent 1k in everything i will ever need for maintenance. every 10k miles I do coil packs and spark plugs. oil change, diff oil change, engine and cabin air filters and front 02 sensors. This is over kill in maintenance too, but i figure i do everything with an oil change through fcpeuro's warranty program.

other than that maintenance that takes me about 5 hours all said and done going pretty slow, car has been perfect. I'm at 55k miles.

If you have ever worked on any other cars and have the time, its a very easy platform to work on and maintain in my opinion.
Appreciate 0