BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Ryan32
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 GC

RK Autowerks Carbon Fiber Intakes (CAI)

Ordered a set of these and really looking forward to putting them on. That being said, i just can't wrap my head around trusting no water gets in these.

Has anyone put a pre-filter on theirs? If so, what brand and size? The filters RK ships are no longer the K&N cotton filters, and the new ones are unmarked. I measured, but it doesn't look like any of the Injen pre-filters really match up on size.

Any experience/help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan32 View Post
Ordered a set of these and really looking forward to putting them on. That being said, i just can't wrap my head around trusting no water gets in these.

Has anyone put a pre-filter on theirs? If so, what brand and size? The filters RK ships are no longer the K&N cotton filters, and the new ones are unmarked. I measured, but it doesn't look like any of the Injen pre-filters really match up on size.

Any experience/help would be greatly appreciated!
I ordered pre filters along with the kit from RK. Unfortunately, they forgot to include it in the shipment but I didn't really plan on installing them yet since it hardly rains where I live. It also diminishes the induction noise. I do know someone who has driven in the rain numerous times w/o prefilters & haven't had any problems. The metal unfortunately will show signs of rust eventually.

RK definitely can provide them just send them a pic of your actual filters just to be sure. I think the filter I have are made by Blitz. Kinda looks like this but the metal cap has bigger openings.
https://frsport.com/blitz-26003-sus-...versal-c4-core
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Ryan32
Rep

That's definitely the style i have... I was definitely going to tape them off and paint the metal caps flat black anyway, so hopefully that prevents any rusting if they do catch moisture.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan32 View Post
That's definitely the style i have... I was definitely going to tape them off and paint the metal caps flat black anyway, so hopefully that prevents any rusting if they do catch moisture.
Those Blitz filters might be made from stainless steel ,put a magnet to them if it sticks strong it’s steel , if it sticks weak it’s shit stainless, if there is no stick it’s good stainless no chance of rust , I have a jetski with prefilters it does do a good job of keeping water out,if it does rain stay light on the throttle to keep the suction down
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

These fit but i took them off as they reduced the sound and have not had any issues in the CA rain with the RK Blitz style filters

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
ByronUT_M6
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Sakhir Orange M6

I actually spoke with R from RK about this concern with the metal filters getting wet and he said it's fine if they get wet as long as they are not submerged in water. Plus when I installed mine the filters actually sit a couple inches back from the front grills so they're fairly protected. Obviously I would still use caution anytime washing your car or anytime water could possibly hit the filters directly. You could also just use the filter covers on days where you know it's gonna rain hard or when you wash your car and then remove them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Another thing to consider about the metal mesh filters vs the oiled cloth type filters like K&N/S&B is that water will be absorbed by the cloth filters more than it would be from the steel mesh filters as the water just falls out of the steel mesh instead of being absorbed. The trade off is that you are allowing more dust and small debris to enter the engine as the steel mesh does not filter as well as the oiled cloth type filters.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Lol, so I googled 'RK Autowerks CAI' off your build page (the CF was so pretty, couldn't help myself), and the first search result was this post!

For what it's worth, a number of rotary guys (engine, not the humanitarian org lol) with built engines run water injection (water only, or water/alcohol mix, or other combinations) to help curb pre-ignition/detonation. Water injection actually dates back to WW2 fighters. Not saying you should run the engine with a water hose in the intake, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a habit of driving around in cat 5 hurricanes only. =)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Ryan32
Rep

From everything i've read i should be good to go... But i'd be lying if i didn't say it still freaks me out a little.

Especially with some of the torrential rain we get in the mid-west out of the blue.

Appreciate 0