BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
JayM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 M6 GC Comp

BMS Intake

Currently have BMC filters/ charcoal delete done and I am looking to gain more sound. I know this setup is probably the most efficient for the functionality of the car but aftermarket intake sounds can be pretty intoxicating Although the positioning and open air setup BMS has caused concerns for possible heat soak as well, which is something Id definitely want to avoid.

Anyone have any insight/experience with the BMS intake? It seems like a great mod considering the price compared to MSR(which I know is a far superior option), but I dont want to spend 2k+ on an intake.. Also currently have turner exhaust, will the intake noise be loud enough to hear alongside the exhaust?

Last edited by JayM6; 06-02-2018 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
ByronUT_M6
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Sakhir Orange M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM6 View Post
Currently have BMC filters/ charcoal delete done and I am looking to gain more sound. I know this setup is probably the most efficient for the functionality of the car but aftermarket intake sounds can be pretty intoxicating Although the positioning and open air setup BMS has caused concerns for possible heat soak as well, which is something Id definitely want to avoid.

Anyone have any insight/experience with the BMS intake? It seems like a great mod considering the price compared to MSR(which I know is a far superior option), but I dont want to spend 2k+ on an intake.. Also currently have turner exhaust, will the intake noise be loud enough to hear alongside the exhaust?
Take a look at RK Autowerks intake, their website shows a price of a little over 2k but if you pm them here on the forums they can setup you with an awesome deal as they did for me. In regards to the sound with your exhaust you should definitely hear the intake if you don't have downpipes especially from outside the car or with windows down.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

With any non-boxed setup, you'll hear the intake sound. MSR and RK will be a better setup, as BMC potentially is susceptible to heat soak. That said, the cones sit on front of the radiator, theoretically decreasing airflow to the radiator, and blocking 25% of the surface area. Why is the radiator important? Your intercooler is a water-cooled (read coolant) setup, so you want the coolest possible coolant temp along with the benefits of cooling the other components.

IMO, if you want max power and lease restriction, a simple drop in filter in the stock air box should be good enough or a Dinan air box...which is basically that concept + a more direct access to the cold air via a snorkel.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-06-2018 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Is the RPI or AFE front scoop even worth the investment?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnite_S63 View Post
Is the RPI or AFE front scoop even worth the investment?
I don't see why not, they push more air into the airbox while the car is moving so you cool down the turbos more efficiently. I am going to be listing up a set of RPI red scoops next week as I purchased an RK intake recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 01:15 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I don't think any of these parts are truely tested other than Dinan. Even with Dinan, I'm not even sure I believe their numbers. I've seen Dyno tests vary dramatically.

The scoops is supposed to channel cooler air into your airbox. But there's no data out there that shows it actually lowers the intake air temperature. In any case I'm not sure it matters as the air is getting compressed into a turbo. What matters is how efficient the intercooler is and the air temperature after the cooling. Hence why I said, you don't want to impede your radiator airflow.

I'll eat my words if someone can show me some real ECU data that shows throttle air temperature with or without any of these intake systems.

I don't trust most dyno numbers. As we learned in high school science class, you have to be able to consistently duplicate your results to prove anything works. And as we learned in statistics, the results also has to be statistically significant.

If you want real power, you have to tune the car. + fuel + air = more power
Appreciate 1