BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
We are on the same page - the stock system works fine for me. I've never even paired my phone to my car. I just don't care. Plus I also have this thing where I don't mod my cars at all, really. The car is the way God made it, and if I don't like what it is, I'll buy a different car. I would not buy an Edsel and put a different grill on it to improve its looks.
Best quote on this board: "The car is the way God made it, and if I don't like what it is, I'll buy a different car."

Obviously personal preference is very important. We're all individuals, with strong likes, dislikes and opinions. God didn't see fit to put a bike rack on my car when he made it, but I don't sell my car because of that. Every summer weekend I strap my THULE on and away I go.

It's nice to have options in life.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #24
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

The car is the way God made it

Last time I checked, it was designed and built by humans and assisted by machines.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #25
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post

Last time I checked, it was designed and built by humans and assisted by machines.
Ah, but you didn't actually check, Walt. You're just saying that.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post

Can't deny the "facts" that the design was crafted by human minds and the build was done by human hands. But as I've just gotten back into my f06 650ix GC this week after it being the "Queen-of-the-garage" since mid December 2020...when I sat in the driver's seat and looked at the design architecture before me...especially that curvacious waterfall dash...my mind does wonder if it was DIVINELY influenced.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-05-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #27
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Can't deny the "facts" that the design was crafted by human minds and the build was done by human hands. But as I've just gotten back into my f06 650ix GC this week after it being the "Queen-of-the-garage" since mid December 2020...when I sat in the driver's seat and looked at the design architecture before me...especially that curvacious waterfall dash...my mind does wonder if it was DIVINELY influenced.
I do love my F06, and the CarPlay was added by my very human hands.... But, i believe the only Divine BMW is the E30 aka GOD’s chariot
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #28
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Aftermarket options being "objectively superior"? What if one sees it differently...with these options not being "objectively superior"...but rather "subjectively" superior (or inferior)? For someone like me (and perhaps Opie55)...we may not have the same needs/wants/desires that the aftermarket options provide and find the native BMW system works fine with what it offers and how it operates.
If one "sees" it differently, it is then subjective. If one does not have a need for a superior solution, it does not make that solution any less superior. It's just that you don't feel that you are going to get any benefits from that superior solution. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
I rarely make or take phone calls while driving...and I NEVER take text messages while driving. So there's nothing "inferior" about those native features in the way that I use them.
There is nothing inferior... in your subjective judgement. Again, apples and oranges.

Quote:
But If I need to use the navigation system locally...99% of the time it's not because I'm lost or don't know where I am...but usually curious which way (in my head) is the fastest way there or back. If I'm using it for a longer trip/journey, I find using BMW connected or entering the info manually easy enough. And I just happen to like how the native navigation system looks (especially in perspecitive view) as well as how it sends additional info to help with exits/turns/junctions/etc to the HUD or to the "split screen" if you don't have the map spread across the entire display.

In regards to music...again, the native system provides everything I need. I don't have an extensive digital music collection stored on my phone (or anything or anywhere else)...I mostly listen to talk radio or a couple of satellite radio music stations. If I do get bored with any of those main three stations in my PRESETS...I just press the MODE button on the steering wheel to switch over to BLUETOOTH where I can listen to (usually) SPOTIFY from my smartphone.
You seem to confusing "works for me" and technically objectively superior. Apples and oranges.
Just because built-in nav using the bmw app works, does not mean that it is better over a solution that provides virtually indefinite different map interfaces (through apps), traffic/incident/police/pulled over vehicle/... reporting, always up to date maps, traffic lights, etc.
Just because music works for you does not mean it is better than using ANY music app on your phone (not just Spotify) that streams over cloud or your uses your phone music. Etc etc.

Quote:
As already mentioned in comments above...from my point of view aftermarket systems aren't viewed as "objectively superior" in regards to what they offer. The native iDrive system works great for my needs...I put aftermarket solutions & offerings in the "subjectively better" column. If they offer some service or feature that is preferred over the native iDrive system...I see nothing wrong with that. But can I not still not favor the way an aftermarket system looks?
I am not entirely sure why you got so stuck on "objectively better" just because an inferior solution works for you. Analogy of a CRT TV over 4k amoled tv comes to mind. Pretty sure there are people who prefer a CRT tv because... it works for them. Fine. But that 4k tv is still objectively better.
I was originally commenting because you discredited CarPlay based on how it looks. I find that surprising in the era of smartphones that look very similar to what you were discrediting. To the same point, I am pretty sure there are people out there for whom a landline phone works better than a smartphone. Put again, we are in the subjective vs objective territory.
Appreciate 0