BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Talaldinho
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Is my M Akra Exhaust Defected

I have the M Performance Titanium Akra Exhaust on my 2018 M6 GC Compitition.

Coming from an M4 with M Performance Titanium Exhaust, it had a satisfying sound and enjoybale pops/crackles on downshifting.

My current M6 M Titanuim exhaust I can barely hear it if the windows are up. I hear more of the engine sound. When the windows are down I can hear the rumpling but nothing more. Also, no pops on downshifting.

Overall, I hearing the engine more than exhaust .

Is the exhaust system defect? its still underwarranty with 16k Miles on.

If this is how M Exhaust sound, what can I do to enhance the sound without voiding the warranty ?

How can I get the pops/crackle sound upon shifting up and down??

Your feedback is highly apperciated.
17 BMW X5
18 BMW M6
18 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

It's subjective, but I assure you the MPE sounds way better than the MPE on a M4.

A few considerations, are you sure you have a MPE? Can you take a picture of the exhaust canister? Sounds crazy, but some people are confused about what comes on a competition package car. The MPE is not standard on a competition car.

Here is a picture:

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914226

Also, your car may have ASD unplugged or coded out. And your M4 may have had ASD on. At least check this as well. I remember when I unplugged my ASD, The immediate reaction was the car's interior cabin was quieter and less boomy.

However I could hear my exhaust pop. It only happens in certain situations, hard to duplicate all the time. I can tell you, I definitely can hear my exhaust. Windows down it just sounds amazing.
      09-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Talaldinho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
It's subjective, but I assure you the MPE sounds way better than the MPE on a M4.

A few considerations, are you sure you have a MPE? Can you take a picture of the exhaust canister? Sounds crazy, but some people are confused about what comes on a competition package car. The MPE is not standard on a competition car.

Here is a picture:

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914226

Also, your car may have ASD unplugged or coded out. And your M4 may have had ASD on. At least check this as well. I remember when I unplugged my ASD, The immediate reaction was the car's interior cabin was quieter and less boomy.

However I could hear my exhaust pop. It only happens in certain situations, hard to duplicate all the time. I can tell you, I definitely can hear my exhaust. Windows down it just sounds amazing.
I went under to ensure I have the right exhaust, based on the pictures, I believe I have the right M exhaust.

I had the flaps coded to be open at all time when I first purchased the M6. Not sure if this ASD was disabled.

would you recommend getting checked at the dealer ? any upgraded would you recommend to get a better aggressive exhaust? [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

17 BMW X5
18 BMW M6
18 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
AznTwins
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 F82 M4

I felt the same way with mine also and then I got some catless downpipes and BM3 Stage 2 OTS tune.
      09-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Well, you could cut the mufflers off and do a decent muffler delete... And then let me buy the akra mufflers from you.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
m6coupe
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I've had this same question/issue. Turns out its the way the DME boxes are programmed, the new F90 M5 and M8 have upgraded DME Software to encode for pops and burbles but with the F06/12/13 platform you would have to flash the DME with an aftermarket tune to get the desired sound on downshifting or riding the clutch.
With that said, it does make a single pop for my very high in 2/3/4 gear if the throttle is released but I agree it doesn't sound like an M4/M3 with equivalent exhaust. On the M6, you would need BM3 stage 2 at the minimum to encode an aggressive burble otherwise stage 1 has a mild burble only.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
Talaldinho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6coupe View Post
I've had this same question/issue. Turns out its the way the DME boxes are programmed, the new F90 M5 and M8 have upgraded DME Software to encode for pops and burbles but with the F06/12/13 platform you would have to flash the DME with an aftermarket tune to get the desired sound on downshifting or riding the clutch.
With that said, it does make a single pop for my very high in 2/3/4 gear if the throttle is released but I agree it doesn't sound like an M4/M3 with equivalent exhaust. On the M6, you would need BM3 stage 2 at the minimum to encode an aggressive burble otherwise stage 1 has a mild burble only.
would those times/modes voide the warranty?
17 BMW X5
18 BMW M6
18 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Well, you could cut the mufflers off and do a decent muffler delete... And then let me buy the akra mufflers from you.
I support this
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Flying Ace do you have DP's? Care to share which brand & type (celled/catless)-- and which tune you're running.

I have the Akra on stock components with the ASD disconnected -- I enjoy the sound, but need more oomph -- hence, downpipes. Just not sure which tune & DP's to pair the akra with to get the best sound.

Appreciate the help.
H
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Flying Ace do you have DP's? Care to share which brand & type (celled/catless)-- and which tune you're running.

I have the Akra on stock components with the ASD disconnected -- I enjoy the sound, but need more oomph -- hence, downpipes. Just not sure which tune & DP's to pair the akra with to get the best sound.

Appreciate the help.
H
Hi, no I am just on stock DPs. IMO, stock DPs with the Akra is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Talaldinho
Private
Rep

Flying Ace hirkaismyname m6coupe

Guys, I apperciate the input... can I please get some directions on how I can get the exhaust to "pop,cranks,bangs" just more aggressive sound, without voiding the warranty.
I have 2018 with extended warranty lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #12
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talaldinho View Post
Flying Ace hirkaismyname m6coupe

Guys, I apperciate the input... can I please get some directions on how I can get the exhaust to "pop,cranks,bangs" just more aggressive sound, without voiding the warranty.
I have 2018 with extended warranty lol.
thats only with catless dp, flash tune & it will void your warranty
      10-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Try gutting your OEM DP's, can't really void warranty if they can't see it. But it may require a tune, which BMW may catch if they put a scanner on it. Maybe you can get away with a piggyback, remove it before going to the dealer + flash back to stock.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1