BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Now don't go and tell me that. LOL

Well, let's hope it is just the module. I'll be in the garage today giving it all a proper look.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #24
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Now don't go and tell me that. LOL

Well, let's hope it is just the module. I'll be in the garage today giving it all a proper look.
The acrylic stick used to diffuse the light through the DRL's is yellowed on mine which likely means finding a new housing. Hoping it's just a module swap for you
      08-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

I too hope it is just the module. I currently have the DRLs off. It's a damn shame that this is even happening on a car with less than 40k miles.

There doesn't appear to be any yellowing while looking at it while off, unless you guys see it and my bad eyes do not.

I'll report back once the new module arrives.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #26
maron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60&F06

Quote:
I too hope it is just the module. I currently have the DRLs off. It's a damn shame that this is even happening on a car with less than 40k miles.

There doesn't appear to be any yellowing while looking at it while off, unless you guys see it and my bad eyes do not.

I'll report back once the new module arrives.

No, check the color of light in and out of the LED module.
If the lights are the same color and the same brightness,
there may be a problem with the fiber along the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #27
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Well, it must be the tube that has discolored on mine as well. Purchased a new module from BMW, swapped it with the old unit, and the results were the same.

It isn't the entire tube that has yellowed, but a good portion of it. Oh well. For now, the DRLs will remain off as my OCD can't take having one off-colored ring. Knowing me, I'll likely end up buying a whole new headlight unit, but for now, off they stay, both as DRLs and with the headlights.

Anyone looking for a new module, I now have a lightly used unit. Lightly as in 5 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #28
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, it must be the tube that has discolored on mine as well. Purchased a new module from BMW, swapped it with the old unit, and the results were the same.

It isn't the entire tube that has yellowed, but a good portion of it. Oh well. For now, the DRLs will remain off as my OCD can't take having one off-colored ring. Knowing me, I'll likely end up buying a whole new headlight unit, but for now, off they stay, both as DRLs and with the headlights.

Anyone looking for a new module, I now have a lightly used unit. Lightly as in 5 minutes.
I share your frustration, sounds like we have the same issue. I too will be on the search for a housing to swap in and remedy the issue. One of those things that once you see it, you can never un-see it... bothers the hell out of me
      08-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #29
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
I share your frustration, sounds like we have the same issue. I too will be on the search for a housing to swap in and remedy the issue.
Well, if you find a good, reasonably priced source, please let know. I looked at the price of a new unit from BMW and had a good laugh.

Both 16s, and both with the outer driver-side yellowing? Dammit BMW!

Quote:
One of those things that once you see it, you can never un-see it... bothers the hell out of me
That is why I had to turn them off. I kept focusing on it and couldn't make myself stop, no matter how hard I tried.

I'd even settle for the other outside halo to yellow, then at least there is some symmetry.

I'm sure it's a bit crazy to some to focus on something so inconsequential, but dammit, I want it right.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #30
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I share your frustration, sounds like we have the same issue. I too will be on the search for a housing to swap in and remedy the issue.
Well, if you find a good, reasonably priced source, please let know. I looked at the price of a new unit from BMW and had a good laugh.

Both 16s, and both with the outer driver-side yellowing? Dammit BMW!

Quote:
One of those things that once you see it, you can never un-see it... bothers the hell out of me
That is why I had to turn them off. I kept focusing on it and couldn't make myself stop, no matter how hard I tried.

I'd even settle for the other outside halo to yellow, then at least there is some symmetry.

I'm sure it's a bit crazy to some to focus on something so inconsequential, but dammit, I want it right.
Yes couldn't agree more on all fronts — would be nice if yours was also a passenger side headlight that way we could just split a used set on eBay or something. Nonetheless I will keep you informed if I find a good source but I think it will involve a lot of waiting..
      08-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #31
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
would be nice if yours was also a passenger side headlight that way we could just split a used set on eBay or something.
I thought the very same. I looked back to see if maybe, just maybe, your yellowed halo was the opposite side to mine. Sadly, it was not to be.

Well, at least I am not in the trenches alone.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #32
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Looks like your M6 is the true predecessor of the M8 first edition, they had to pay extra for those Yellow DRLs!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #33
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wanted to provide some closure on this thread as I was able to finally resolve this issue -- I purchased a new (to me) housing from a seller on eBay and it seems to have done the trick. Nice uniform white light coming through the DRL angel eyes now. Quite the pain to chase this down and resolve but glad its done. Pic is prior to the refinishing of the lens and adding XPEL so it still looks somewhat rashed up.