BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-30-2021, 04:44 AM   #1
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Have some light scratches on a frozen black finish.

I noticed them while getting gas. I have Dr. Beasleys kit. Just havent had time to use it yet. I am recent owner to frozen paints and the M6. I am also an e92 M3 owner, but that has gloss paint.

It doesnt look bad from a foot or two away. Its only visible in direct light also. The dark area is where I lightly wiped it to check it.

Any suggestions in fixing this? Also, any advice on preventing this?

I am aware that usually even small scratches require a repaint. Dr. Beasleys suggests that their coating can sometimes hide light scratches in matte paint.
Its hard to see it in my garage, unless a direct light is on it.

I am going to be really careful with this paint.

Please help!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Mdriv3r; 09-01-2021 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
VCM
Rep
Drives: M6 GC Individual Manufaktur

I have Frozen black M6 GC.
Recently this lady side swiped me coming over solid line. It was in turning lane and center median devider on my left and no where to go!!
100% her fault, her insurance is covering everything.
Now car is at speciality body shop getting WHOLE car repainted.
It's been 2 weeks, he first tried to do panels where scratches were, but he was not satisfied that it didn't perfectly match. Frozen is so hard to do and he is a quite perfectionist.
So I won't see the car back till he approves the work.
Probably another month?
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      03-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCM View Post
I have Frozen black M6 GC.
Recently this lady side swiped me coming over solid line. It was in turning lane and center median devider on my left and no where to go!!
100% her fault, her insurance is covering everything.
Now car is at speciality body shop getting WHOLE car repainted.
It's been 2 weeks, he first tried to do panels where scratches were, but he was not satisfied that it didn't perfectly match. Frozen is so hard to do and he is a quite perfectionist.
So I won't see the car back till he approves the work.
Probably another month?
I have heard this too. Sorry about this man. I will say the paint is beautiful though. Check out the video from Ammo NYC.

So on a positive note you will have new paint. Its a good time to apply matte sealant and do a full protection system.

About the video, I watched this years ago when I was getting into detailing woth my m3. That was Jerez black metallic. It unfortunately was ran into as well. I did rebuild it (first time doing such a thing). Its mostly done now just readying it for a inspection. Here's a link to my thread in that.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...?#38;t=1795356
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good luck man, please keep me updated. Would love to see some pics. At a later point, I may do a respray, just going to attempt Dr. Beasleys first. My damage is very minor almost not visible, unless looking at it in direct light and close up.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Good luck man, please keep me updated. Would love to see some pics. At a later point, I may do a respray, just going to attempt Dr. Beasleys first. My damage is very minor almost not visible, unless looking at it in direct light and close up.
Are you going to do a respray yourself or by autobody company? If by self which product would you be using? Thanks
      03-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #6
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Are you going to do a respray yourself or by autobody company? If by self which product would you be using? Thanks
I am still thinking on what to do. Likely have an auto body shop do it, preferably one that is familiar with matte/frozen paints. That will come later though. I did pick up some BASF frozen black touch up laint from ebay. I wint be using that for this spot, but for any incidental things later, it could be handy.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
I am still thinking on what to do. Likely have an auto body shop do it, preferably one that is familiar with matte/frozen paints. That will come later though. I did pick up some BASF frozen black touch up laint from ebay. I wint be using that for this spot, but for any incidental things later, it could be handy.
If you have time and are looking for an excuse to go for a drive - might be worth stopping by any high-end detail shops in your area just to get their opinion and a potential estimate?

From my own experience on paint correction - your issue would be an easy fix with traditional paint as those scratches would be in the clear coat - an appropriate cut + polish would take them out. With frozen, you still have a clear coat but it has a different chemical make-up, and polishing would change the finish.

Best to get an experts opinion - especially someone who's dealt with frozen paint previously...a lot of conjecture and misinformation online!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:22 AM   #8
VCM
Rep

Quote:
So on a positive note you will have new paint. Its a good time to apply matte sealant and do a full protection system.
That is a positive thing I hoped it would happen.
Now I'm trying to choose PPF and ceramic coating over it, or just ceramic coat.
Have not got any quote for PPF. Should I do just front section or the whole car. I'm leaning towards whole car as it's getting whole new fresh paint...

Quote:
I will.
We are the minority with factory Frozen Black paint. Gotta stick together!! lol
Here is the damage... No dent at all, but you can tell how she ever so slightly touched me!! Because of the Frozen paint, there is no polishing or buffing out those.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Quote:
If you have time and are looking for an excuse to go for a drive - might be worth stopping by any high-end detail shops in your area just to get their opinion and a potential estimate?

From my own experience on paint correction - your issue would be an easy fix with traditional paint as those scratches would be in the clear coat - an appropriate cut + polish would take them out. With frozen, you still have a clear coat but it has a different chemical make-up, and polishing would change the finish.

Best to get an experts opinion - especially someone who's dealt with frozen paint previously...a lot of conjecture and misinformation online!
I will check into that for sure. On last cars, I did some 2 step, basically learning feom Larry Kozillas detail videos. I had good results.

With frozen/matte, there are few options. So Ill clean it and do a matte sealant, then check into what some good paint shops can do. Ill just make sure they can work in frozen/matte paints.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Have not got any quote for PPF. Should I do just front section or the whole car. I'm leaning towards whole car as it's getting whole new fresh paint...

Quote:
I will.
Here is the damage... No dent at all, but you can tell how she ever so slightly touched me!! Because of the Frozen paint, there is no polishing or buffing out those.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I will.
[IMG]https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...38;oe=608976CE[/IMG]
Sorry to see this. And your right! Us Frozen guys do need to stick together lol. So what I have been told, is typically, the entire side will be repainted to keep uniformity with the matte paint. Its pretty hard to match previous work, but it can be done. The painter should just be experienced.

I think, redo one side or maybe the entire car depending on cost etc... eitherway, I would go for the PPF if it keeps the finish. I am going to look into doing this also. Itll protect from rock chips etc.

I am new to the matte color schemes, so Ill be researching this.

As for ceramic coat, thats good as well. But, from what I understand it wont be able to do much for rock chips and or light contact feom careless people etc...

What do you think about PPF and ceramic. Im thinking to do PPF. It would be great for the front bumper etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is also a link to Dr Beasleys. They mention that cover up might be possible, though rare. I am hoping it might work for me. Or just respray later, then do the PPF.

Here is a link to the article discussing this:

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2013...in-matte-paint

I have also attached a pic of the kit I purchased. It was about $180. Can be bought from the company directly or from amazon.

I have also bought some touch up from BASF on ebay. It clearly wont work for my issue. This is for any issues later. Here is a link for that as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232722827577
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

In the North East England , I visited 2 known detailers yesterday and they told me that it is rare at least in the North East to get a detailer that could install PPF for matte colours (because it is rare and therefore no expertise). I was directed to Dr Beasley products for protection as well. So no PPF for now

I was also told that not only that ceramic coating would not protect against chips but would ever so slightly increase the sheen.
      04-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #13
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Here is also a link to Dr Beasleys. They mention that cover up might be possible, though rare. I am hoping it might work for me. Or just respray later, then do the PPF.

I have also attached a pic of the kit I purchased. It was about $180. Can be bought from the company directly or from amazon.

I have also bought some touch up from BASF on ebay. It clearly wont work for my issue. This is for any issues later. Here is a link for that as well.

Your should use Dr Beasley product to coat first and see whether the scratch would become fainter and more acceptable to you. Therefore you might postpone spending big.

i have also contacted our local BMW auto bodyshop (highly valued and accredited repairer for porsche as well) and ask whether there are easy touch paints and spray for chips and hairline scratches for frozen black BMWs. Hopefully I would get a reply by email next week
      04-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Your should use Dr Beasley product to coat first and see whether the scratch would become fainter and more acceptable to you. Therefore you might postpone spending big.

i have also contacted our local BMW auto bodyshop (highly valued and accredited repairer for porsche as well) and ask whether there are easy touch paints and spray for chips and hairline scratches for frozen black BMWs. Hopefully I would get a reply by email next week
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. I will post some pics after appying the product. Should be fairly warm for the next few days, so hoping to do it soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #15
VCM
Rep

Never seen that product.
I'm interested to find out how well it works for you.
Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #16
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

I am beginning to think or realise that at home, snowfoam no touch, frequent wash with pressure washer and immediately driving off to blow off the water droplets might be the best solution to avoid scratching or causing swirl marks from washing and towel drying. I did this today and my car seems the cleanest to me in along while

Maybe commercial jet wash might also be a good option for those that don't have the space to home wash

As the paint doesn't need polishing or waxing
      04-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #17
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am beginning to think or realise that at home, snowfoam no touch, frequent wash with pressure washer and immediately driving off to blow off the water droplets might be the best solution to avoid scratching or causing swirl marks from washing and towel drying. I did this today and my car seems the cleanest to me in along while

Maybe commercial jet wash might also be a good option for those that don't have the space to home wash

As the paint doesn't need polishing or waxing
I do have one and will be testing it. I have a small electric briggs and stratton pressure washer and an amazon purchased foam canon. Hopefully it works well.

My plan was to use a black and decker 320 cfm leaf blower ($80, nothing fancy) for drying. I had also been told ego pro makes and awesome electronic leaf blower for about $160 or so. That is available on amazon as well.

I also have used a deionizer that just hooks into the end of a hose. It works awesome. This might be the best option, as it allows the car to air dry with no water spots!!!

Note*** it should only be used as a final rinse after washing the car. Here is a link to the one I have. I havent used it on Frozen paint yet, but it worked well with gloss paint.

WaterSentinel SF-20W Spotless Car Wash Inline Deionized Water Garden Hose Water Filter & Extension Adapter for RV, Boat, Marine, Motorcycle, Home, Windows, Spot Free Wash, Solar Panels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087TK58P8...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So this is after treatment with Dr. Beasleys. I had a high lumen led light on it so the scratche is very visible. But under normal ambient lighting it is very hard to see. Almost invisible. The matte coating does help. But it ofcourse is inly a form of cover up or camouflage.

I could probably do with refinishing the rear bumper later. There were some other imperfections specifically on the rear bumper.

Other than that, man.... FROZEN PAINT is beautiful!!!

I added a coulle pics of the car. Check my ither thread about getting the car for more pics.

Any dark areas that look wet on the front are from where I just needed to wipe down the matte coating a bit more.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mdriv3r; 04-06-2021 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #19
VCM
Rep

Quote:
So this is after treatment with Dr. Beasleys. I had a high lumen led light on it so the scratche is very visible. But under normal ambient lighting it is very hard to see. Almost invisible. The matte coating does help. But it ofcourse is inly a form of cover up or camouflage.

I could probably do with refinishing the rear bumper later. There were some other imperfections specifically on the rear bumper.

I added a coulle pics of the car. Check my ither thread about getting the car for more pics.

Any dark areas that look wet on the front are from where I just needed to wipe down the matte coating a bit more.
Looks great. Really can't tell the scratch there.

Just noticed you have colour matched reflector.
I like the look with stock reflectors but do wonder how they look with coloured reflectors.
Would you post up some rear shot?
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #20
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Well this looks good.
      04-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #21
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Looks great. Really can't tell the scratch there.

Just noticed you have colour matched reflector.
I like the look with stock reflectors but do wonder how they look with coloured reflectors.
Would you post up some rear shot?
Rear pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #22
VCM
Rep

Quote:
Rear pic
Thanks for the shot.
Yup, I think I prefer the look of with reflectors...
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50